Teeth Cleaning

GinoLicious

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Did not think I would find myself here on this board under these circumstances.

So my best friend cosmo is having some issues.

About a month ago he was drooling like a tap from his right side of his mouth. I went to the vet, didn't see any issues, salivary gland was swollen a bit and same with lymphnodes. Sent home with medication. Didn't stop. Then for 3 weeks after the last incident after medication, his drooling stopped.

Now when I say drooling, I mean like legit watery dripping out and his under face would get soaked.

We are drool free for over 3 weeks. Last night, my daughter noticed he lost a molar. It just fell out. No blood. I haven't brushed his teeth in years. He has Nylabones etc. I am going to start brushing again starting today. Got Wahl toothpaste to try on him. Vanilla flavoured.

My vet said I may want to consider teeth cleaning and for a full oral exam. Vet has always known I am against it due to the issues with breathing on these dogs. When he was a puppy he had his nose holes opened up and an elongated soft pallet removed that almost caused issues, post op.

Do I do the cleaning? Do I let Cosmo go under? He is 8. He is like a damn spring chicken. We gotta fetch nightly at 9PM. Hes wild.

Or do I do nothing. The infection has spread, he loses hes teeth, gets into the blood and then takes out the liver, lungs, kidney or heart?

I did notice his Nylabones have black gunk all over them, so I assume that is crap from his teeth. I did brush all that off last night and rinse the bones.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oooh...that's a tough one. I honestly don't know what I would do. Can the vet at least do an oral exam with him being awake, like just look in his mouth to see what you're working with.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli lost his front tooth like that, just was all of the sudden loose and we went to vet, he plucked it out, check the rest of his mouth and said ... all good, it can happen. We do not brush, but the boys do love to chew on Nyla bones and they get raw marrow bones once a week.

I agree with Citty ask the vet to do an oral exam without putting him out to see if any issues or infection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GinoLicious

Reaction score
I can say every time he gets an exam, the vet always says a teeth cleaning is recommended. I don't know why, but it makes me uneasy. He knows I don't like the idea of it. Now he did say that Cosmo does have plaque and tarter build up in his mouth, the dog is 8 though. If he had puss or an abscess I would have seen it or he would have acted weird when chewing stuff. I tell you, he goes hard on his Nylabones. He likes to chew harder on the right side and for longer then the left side. I know that an exam was done back in November when he had the drooling issue and it was the same thing the vet said, has plaque and tartar build up, but nothing was seen then. I think I may get him on marrow bones too. But he does chew hard on the Nylabones.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I can say every time he gets an exam, the vet always says a teeth cleaning is recommended. I don't know why, but it makes me uneasy. He knows I don't like the idea of it. Now he did say that Cosmo does have plaque and tarter build up in his mouth, the dog is 8 though. If he had puss or an abscess I would have seen it or he would have acted weird when chewing stuff. I tell you, he goes hard on his Nylabones. He likes to chew harder on the right side and for longer then the left side. I know that an exam was done back in November when he had the drooling issue and it was the same thing the vet said, has plaque and tartar build up, but nothing was seen then. I think I may get him on marrow bones too. But he does chew hard on the Nylabones.

I forgot too... Cheli gets the drooling episodes too, crazy no rhyme or reason

GinoLicious

Reaction score
Totally at a crossroads here. I think I’m going to do the teeth cleaning and a full exam in the mouth.

I can safely say that last night was a super big hit brushing teeth with a finger brush. Not sure of how good of a job I did. But he did not want to let me stop. We did a good 5-10 minute brushing with some breaks. Boy he loved it. Took a while to let me do his left side and I find doing the bottom teeth a lot harder then the top.

Now i noticed something else with him and I though it was normal. But now it’s happening more frequently. After he eats food or drinks water. He guzzles its and scarfs it back so he will make that clearing his throat noise. After running around or playing fetch he will make that noise do or if he’s chewing hard on a bone. I’ve been noticing he makes that same
Noise during the day from doing nothing. If he’s sleeping and then wakes up he will make the noise. Sometimes in the middle of the night he will wake up. Make the noise for a minute before going to sleep. He did that last night and also did it this morning before I took him out of bed and once again before leaving for work this morning. Not sure if that’s related to that he’s doing it more frequently.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Totally at a crossroads here. I think I’m going to do the teeth cleaning and a full exam in the mouth.

I can safely say that last night was a super big hit brushing teeth with a finger brush. Not sure of how good of a job I did. But he did not want to let me stop. We did a good 5-10 minute brushing with some breaks. Boy he loved it. Took a while to let me do his left side and I find doing the bottom teeth a lot harder then the top.

Now i noticed something else with him and I though it was normal. But now it’s happening more frequently. After he eats food or drinks water. He guzzles its and scarfs it back so he will make that clearing his throat noise. After running around or playing fetch he will make that noise do or if he’s chewing hard on a bone. I’ve been noticing he makes that same
Noise during the day from doing nothing. If he’s sleeping and then wakes up he will make the noise. Sometimes in the middle of the night he will wake up. Make the noise for a minute before going to sleep. He did that last night and also did it this morning before I took him out of bed and once again before leaving for work this morning. Not sure if that’s related to that he’s doing it more frequently.

Wow- I'm glad Cosmo likes having his teeth brushed. That will obviously make your life a lot easier now as you plan to brush regularly. Mine gags and fights me every step of the way. Maybe I need to try this toothpaste you have.

Do you happen to have a video of the sound Cosmo is making that you can post? Is it a "reverse sneeze?" If so, mine does it here and there but definitely not daily. And never does she wake up at night to do it.

GinoLicious

Reaction score
Wow- I'm glad Cosmo likes having his teeth brushed. That will obviously make your life a lot easier now as you plan to brush regularly. Mine gags and fights me every step of the way. Maybe I need to try this toothpaste you have.

Do you happen to have a video of the sound Cosmo is making that you can post? Is it a "reverse sneeze?" If so, mine does it here and there but definitely not daily. And never does she wake up at night to do it.

The good ol reverse sneeze. Nope. It’s not that. Very aware of that sound. First time I heard it I almost died. And that is very infrequent.

No I don’t have a video of the sound. I can try to get one. But I know he hates being on camera or photos taken. Can videos be uploaded directly to this board? Or do I need a third party site?

The noise he makes is more of a clearing throat and use to only occur after playing. Long walks, or eating and drinking. Now I’m hearing it when he’s just chilling out. Doesn’t last long. But not sure if that’s related now too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The good ol reverse sneeze. Nope. It’s not that. Very aware of that sound. First time I heard it I almost died. And that is very infrequent.

No I don’t have a video of the sound. I can try to get one. But I know he hates being on camera or photos taken. Can videos be uploaded directly to this board? Or do I need a third party site?

The noise he makes is more of a clearing throat and use to only occur after playing. Long walks, or eating and drinking. Now I’m hearing it when he’s just chilling out. Doesn’t last long. But not sure if that’s related now too.

Video or audio would be great... only think I can think of is just phlegm build up?

GinoLicious

Reaction score
He does not spit anything out. I know my house is super dry. I do not have a humidifier and I have a real dry nose and throat almost daily in that house. I don't recall it happening to him last winter though, but I just cant remember. I can also say he is shedding like a beast too. It doesn't happen all day and when it does its a brief minute or so, but when sleeping feels like eternity haha. Maybe its just a noise hes making more often now? I know he likes to make the noise when he rubs his penis. Yeah he does that about 10-15 times a day.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He does not spit anything out. I know my house is super dry. I do not have a humidifier and I have a real dry nose and throat almost daily in that house. I don't recall it happening to him last winter though, but I just cant remember. I can also say he is shedding like a beast too. It doesn't happen all day and when it does its a brief minute or so, but when sleeping feels like eternity haha. Maybe its just a noise hes making more often now? I know he likes to make the noise when he rubs his penis. Yeah he does that about 10-15 times a day.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

GinoLicious

Reaction score
I think ive made my decision. I think hes going to get his teeth cleaned. He was rubbing his penis again biting the blanket, little bit of blood on the blanket. He was drooling again, was wet on both sides of his mouth. Wouldnt let me get in there with the brush today. After he stopped drooling I was holding him and could smell that awful smell from his face and mouth. Something is rotting or dead in there.

Worst part is, that smell reminds me of the time in august, his poop and face smelled the same way and I noticed a bit of blood in his stool and went to the vet for that and everything checked out fine. I think I am dealing with a mouth issue here. I think he needs the cleaning, needs to possibly have a few teeth removed, and if thats the case I hope he still has some so he can chew things and eat hard food like he loves.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think ive made my decision. I think hes going to get his teeth cleaned. He was rubbing his penis again biting the blanket, little bit of blood on the blanket. He was drooling again, was wet on both sides of his mouth. Wouldnt let me get in there with the brush today. After he stopped drooling I was holding him and could smell that awful smell from his face and mouth. Something is rotting or dead in there.

Worst part is, that smell reminds me of the time in august, his poop and face smelled the same way and I noticed a bit of blood in his stool and went to the vet for that and everything checked out fine. I think I am dealing with a mouth issue here. I think he needs the cleaning, needs to possibly have a few teeth removed, and if thats the case I hope he still has some so he can chew things and eat hard food like he loves.

Sometimes it is unavoidable. It will probably be for the best. You might want to do the pre-anesthesia bloodwork to make sure everything looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GinoLicious

Reaction score
1EA5998B-228A-4679-A29B-9E7FA1447B9D.jpegHe did have blood work a few months ago at his annual. I did the full blown works.

Hoping he gets to keep some or all of his teeth. He does love to chew. I can’t upload a photo though. Not sure why. Wanted to show his tooth that fell out.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 14321He did have blood work a few months ago at his annual. I did the full blown works.

Hoping he gets to keep some or all of his teeth. He does love to chew. I can’t upload a photo though. Not sure why. Wanted to show his tooth that fell out.

So bizarre... looks like a clean loss, not like he broke it chewing

GinoLicious

Reaction score
No, it just fell out. But you see the black stuff around the roots? Wondering if other teeth are like that. His breath is bad now too though.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it just fell out. But you see the black stuff around the roots? Wondering if other teeth are like that. His breath is bad now too though.

Then he may have pieces left that need to be looked at

Jakeyjake

Reaction score

Your vet will most likely run his bloodwork before putting him under to make sure he is healthy. If multiple teeth are extracted he should be fine with wet food. He may be uncomfortable if there is an infection and could be the reason for drooling. Good luck and keep us posted!

🆕 Latest posts