What could this be? Hernia, or something more sinister?

CobaltRose96

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a first time Frenchie owner from the UK and have been concerned about a potential health issue with our 16 month old Frenchie, Daisy. This might be long, but all of it is worth mentioning.

Daisy is usually incredibly healthy. Good appetite, no breathing problems, no skin problems, no stomach issues or vomiting... However, Wednesday last week she was awake all night vomiting. It stopped at about 6am and she seemed fine for the rest of the day, so we put it down to a one time stomach bug. However, Thursday night she seemed incredibly lethargic. She's usually very rambunctious, so this was a little concerning. Her appetite was also reduced. We initially thought it was just the after affects of her illness the previous night, but on Friday morning we spotted a hard, pea sized lump in her groin area and took her to the vets.

The vet examined it and was, to be honest, not totally sure what it was. She said it MIGHT be a hernia, but hernias are usually soft, and this lump is rock hard. Plus, she felt around for a long time and couldn't find the hole the hernia popped back into, which is unusual for a hernia. She said the other thing it could be is a left over stitch from Daisy's spaying operation in September. The vet gave us some anti-inflammatories, pain killers, and medication to settle her stomach and reduce vomiting, and told us to come back on Monday (tomorrow) if it wasn't any better by then.

In the days since the vet visit, the lump hasn't gone away, so we are going back to the vet tomorrow. In terms of illness, Daisy has been on and off. Sometimes she is her usual very naughty, rambunctious self, and other times she is very lethargic and vomits. She also burps and brings up sick in her mouth quite frequently (TMI, I know, but I thought it was worth mentioning), which she has never done before. Before this illness began, she very rarely, if ever, vomited.

We are very concerned. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, or have any idea what this might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Hannah and Daisy

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a first time Frenchie owner from the UK and have been concerned about a potential health issue with our 16 month old Frenchie, Daisy. This might be long, but all of it is worth mentioning.

Daisy is usually incredibly healthy. Good appetite, no breathing problems, no skin problems, no stomach issues or vomiting... However, Wednesday last week she was awake all night vomiting. It stopped at about 6am and she seemed fine for the rest of the day, so we put it down to a one time stomach bug. However, Thursday night she seemed incredibly lethargic. She's usually very rambunctious, so this was a little concerning. Her appetite was also reduced. We initially thought it was just the after affects of her illness the previous night, but on Friday morning we spotted a hard, pea sized lump in her groin area and took her to the vets.

The vet examined it and was, to be honest, not totally sure what it was. She said it MIGHT be a hernia, but hernias are usually soft, and this lump is rock hard. Plus, she felt around for a long time and couldn't find the hole the hernia popped back into, which is unusual for a hernia. She said the other thing it could be is a left over stitch from Daisy's spaying operation in September. The vet gave us some anti-inflammatories, pain killers, and medication to settle her stomach and reduce vomiting, and told us to come back on Monday (tomorrow) if it wasn't any better by then.

In the days since the vet visit, the lump hasn't gone away, so we are going back to the vet tomorrow. In terms of illness, Daisy has been on and off. Sometimes she is her usual very naughty, rambunctious self, and other times she is very lethargic and vomits. She also burps and brings up sick in her mouth quite frequently (TMI, I know, but I thought it was worth mentioning), which she has never done before. Before this illness began, she very rarely, if ever, vomited.

We are very concerned. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, or have any idea what this might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Hannah and Daisy

Have they done any xrays or ultrasound to see if there is a blockage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Could be many reasons such as megaesophagus, gallstones, bowel obstruction etc. I would say you should feed canned dog food for the time being in small frequent meals since it is faster absorbed and put feeding bowl a bit higher up in case it's megaesophagus.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
As I was reading this post, the first thing that came to mind was a blockage. Has she chewed off and pieces of a toy? Shredded a soft toy? Swallowed a sock? Etc. I'm just thinking of things my English Bulldogs have done that caused a blockage with symptoms like Daisy has.

:smileywelcome: to FBN

CobaltRose96

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Saw the vet again today. Daisy is now having an operation tomorrow morning to remove and biopsy the lump. Hopefully we'll get more answers then!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Saw the vet again today. Daisy is now having an operation tomorrow morning to remove and biopsy the lump. Hopefully we'll get more answers then!

Please keep us posted... sending prayers

CobaltRose96

Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes. Well, it was just what we suspected. Daisy had a hernia! But it's now been repaired and she is recovering well. She's already wiggled around so much she's pulled her IV line out... *shakes head* The vet says we can bring her home this afternoon. Thanks again, everyone!

WeeDex

Reaction score
Glad to hear the vet acted quickly and she's ok. They like to scare us the little monsters!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the well wishes. Well, it was just what we suspected. Daisy had a hernia! But it's now been repaired and she is recovering well. She's already wiggled around so much she's pulled her IV line out... *shakes head* The vet says we can bring her home this afternoon. Thanks again, everyone!

Good to hear she is on the mend... hoping for a quick recovery

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Awesome, so happy they found the problem and fixed it. I was afraid that was the problem. Sounded like the small intestine got stuck in the hole and didn't go back in, which can be deadly if not fixed in a timely manner.