Emotional Control

StellaLilac

Reaction score
Our Stella Girl has started barking at anyone that walks up (including people she knows), appliances, noises........I've read that we need to teach her emotional control. Exactly what does that mean when trying to control the amount of barking a frenchie can do. We do know that there will be some regular barking but she barks more than she really should. Would love some feedback.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Our Stella Girl has started barking at anyone that walks up (including people she knows), appliances, noises........I've read that we need to teach her emotional control. Exactly what does that mean when trying to control the amount of barking a frenchie can do. We do know that there will be some regular barking but she barks more than she really should. Would love some feedback.

Rusty used to bark at everyone if he was unsure or nervous, and that barking was too much.

My vet had told me to use a spray bottle and put ONLY water in it. 100% safe just don’t spray him in the face!

Spray him when he is barking or about to bark and say ‘quiet’ or NO, and that 100% put a stop to Rusty’s barking at everyone.
Sure every dog barks and it’s normal and I know it’s good for him to bark at times, but these dogs don’t like water, and it’s NOT harmful to give him a squirt of water on him which they don’t expect than you say ‘quiet’ which they learn the barking is NOT ok all the time.

Again, some people think spray bottle with only water is mean, NO it’s completely safe and it’s just water.
And I found it really works and I haven’t had to use it for over a year.

Maybe give it a try.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you ! We will give it a try. Let you know how it goes

I did forget to mention to also make sure when you say ‘quiet to her’ and she stops barking definitely reward with a treat, then she knows when she listens to ‘Quiet’ command and stops barking=treats and when she constantly barks= a little squirt of water

They are smart dogs, they learn quick!

Good luck and keep me updated

🆕 Latest posts