Homecooking measurements

lemon

Reaction score
Hi! Just want to ask what would be the feeding measurements if i start doing some homecook for our frenchie? Is it still 1/2cup 3x a day? ( i feed our 5mo. old frenchie 1/2cup 3x/day)
should i feed him homecook same as the dry dog food measurements? Thank you!

lemon

Reaction score
Oh i also came across in some site to feed frenchies 25-30 cals per pound per day. Is this good to follow? :))

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I do not know much about homecooking (maybe someone else here can chime in with his or her experience). I feed mine a commercial raw grind that comes in pre-packaged portions. My Frenchie is 2 years old and about 24 pounds. To maintain this weight, I feed 8 ounces of food per day. I divide that into two 4 ounce portions, one for morning and one for evening. In addition to the 4 ounces, I add one crushed dehydrated nugget and some goat's milk yogurt. She also gets many treats throughout the day.

I've heard there are some homecooking Facebook groups you could join for advice on how much to feed, etc...maybe that can be another resource for you. I know some Bulldogs are sensitive to chicken (mine is) and do well on cold proteins like duck and rabbit. Good luck and keep us posted!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t remember which members make their own food, sorry.

I also feed a premise raw bought frozen and shipped to my home.

lemon

Reaction score
I do not know much about homecooking (maybe someone else here can chime in with his or her experience). I feed mine a commercial raw grind that comes in pre-packaged portions. My Frenchie is 2 years old and about 24 pounds. To maintain this weight, I feed 8 ounces of food per day. I divide that into two 4 ounce portions, one for morning and one for evening. In addition to the 4 ounces, I add one crushed dehydrated nugget and some goat's milk yogurt. She also gets many treats throughout the day.

I've heard there are some homecooking Facebook groups you could join for advice on how much to feed, etc...maybe that can be another resource for you. I know some Bulldogs are sensitive to chicken (mine is) and do well on cold proteins like duck and rabbit. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you thank you! i will try to look and i think i can easily find raw grind meats including organs. Is this recommended for puppies, feeding them raw? I've heard about the chicken and seafood allergies, in fact there's an old saying here in Philippines that when you feed a dog with chicken or seafood it will lose its hair and skin rashes appears ( just don't know if it's true or not)

lemon

Reaction score
I can’t remember which members make their own food, sorry.

I also feed a premise raw bought frozen and shipped to my home.

Thank you! :)) i read and watched some videos of homecooking for dogs looks pretty easy just confused of how they measure it for a certain age of their dogs.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thank you thank you! i will try to look and i think i can easily find raw grind meats including organs. Is this recommended for puppies, feeding them raw? I've heard about the chicken and seafood allergies, in fact there's an old saying here in Philippines that when you feed a dog with chicken or seafood it will lose its hair and skin rashes appears ( just don't know if it's true or not)

My opinion is that raw feeding is the best option. I watched my dog's skin issues disappear within mere DAYS after starting and she has not had any reason to visit the vet except for an annual exam. She poops exactly 2 times per day and is very healthy and energetic. Home cooking is another good option though! Glad you found some tutorial videos to help you learn more about it.

lemon

Reaction score
My opinion is that raw feeding is the best option. I watched my dog's skin issues disappear within mere DAYS after starting and she has not had any reason to visit the vet except for an annual exam. She poops exactly 2 times per day and is very healthy and energetic. Home cooking is another good option though! Glad you found some tutorial videos to help you learn more about it.

May i ask what's in the raw pre packaged? Is it all meat or mixed with organs? are carbs like sweet potatoed important? do you give them sweet potatoed together with the raw pre-packed?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
May i ask what's in the raw pre packaged? Is it all meat or mixed with organs? are carbs like sweet potatoed important? do you give them sweet potatoed together with the raw pre-packed?

Here is a pic of the ingredient label. My dog loves the food, but the last two shipments came completely thawed and not frozen at all. This is not the company, but an issue with the delivery service they use. Hoping it gets rectified because I am very happy with their product and customer service.

20190528_080008.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

The package brand I use is BARF model which means it is meat, organ, bone with fruits and veggies all blended together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemon

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the ingredient label. My dog loves the food, but the last two shipments came completely thawed and not frozen at all. This is not the company, but an issue with the delivery service they use. Hoping it gets rectified because I am very happy with their product and customer service.

View attachment 13125

I think we don't have that here :) but i saved the ingredients for future and maybe i copy and do it myself hehe! Thank you!

lemon

Reaction score
The package brand I use is BARF model which means it is meat, organ, bone with fruits and veggies all blended together.

Got it. Thank you so much everything. :))

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Frozen raw would be the least allergenic and you wouldn't have to prepare anything, as mentioned above.
But if you want to cook, the easiest way would be to cook your own protein and buy a base mix to mix it with such as Honest Kitchen Preference, Grandma Lucy's Artisan Pre-Mix, Dr. Harvey's Raw Vibrance etc. But buying a pre-mix and cooking your own protein is more expensive than just buying a frozen raw complete meal.

lemon

Reaction score
Frozen raw would be the least allergenic and you wouldn't have to prepare anything, as mentioned above.
But if you want to cook, the easiest way would be to cook your own protein and buy a base mix to mix it with such as Honest Kitchen Preference, Grandma Lucy's Artisan Pre-Mix, Dr. Harvey's Raw Vibrance etc. But buying a pre-mix and cooking your own protein is more expensive than just buying a frozen raw complete meal.

Thank you! i'm hoing to look for these but i thinl i'm going to have a hard time looking for these here in Philippines.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 13125

Call them.. it happened to me once and the switch delivery service

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Call them.. it happened to me once and the switch delivery service

I am so heartbroken - the first shipment came frozen solid with FedEx. The second shipment came via UPS and a few packs were frozen, but most were thawed. The third shipment was supposed to arrive on a certain date and I gave it 4 more days then called them to ask if they'd even received the order. Turns out UPS decided the box was too damaged to deliver to me but didn't notify me. I went into the tracking feature and it was in Raleigh for 4 days before they decided it was damaged and "destroyed" the contents. The company got in touch with me and said they would send me a new shipment the next day and use FedEx. I received it the day it was expected, but upon opening it, every single packet was complete mush, completely thawed and HOT to the touch. I emailed the company again and they continue to be apologetic but it isn't on their end - it is the delivery services. They told me even though the product was hot upon arrival it was safe to freeze and serve. I am so nervous every day I give her some. I honestly love this company and the food, especially the PRICES, but I am not going to go through this every month. I assumed that if you were receiving a product that was to be frozen, it would be kept in a refrigerated place at all times. There's no way that happened the last two times. I don't know what else to do, though. It only happened to you once? Did you keep the product or throw it out?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so heartbroken - the first shipment came frozen solid with FedEx. The second shipment came via UPS and a few packs were frozen, but most were thawed. The third shipment was supposed to arrive on a certain date and I gave it 4 more days then called them to ask if they'd even received the order. Turns out UPS decided the box was too damaged to deliver to me but didn't notify me. I went into the tracking feature and it was in Raleigh for 4 days before they decided it was damaged and "destroyed" the contents. The company got in touch with me and said they would send me a new shipment the next day and use FedEx. I received it the day it was expected, but upon opening it, every single packet was complete mush, completely thawed and HOT to the touch. I emailed the company again and they continue to be apologetic but it isn't on their end - it is the delivery services. They told me even though the product was hot upon arrival it was safe to freeze and serve. I am so nervous every day I give her some. I honestly love this company and the food, especially the PRICES, but I am not going to go through this every month. I assumed that if you were receiving a product that was to be frozen, it would be kept in a refrigerated place at all times. There's no way that happened the last two times. I don't know what else to do, though. It only happened to you once? Did you keep the product or throw it out?

I kept it and was fine. I’m much closer than you , you may be want to call Garvin ask if they can add dry ice to the container to ensure it remains frozen during transit. I could be wrong but I do not think either Fedex or UPS have refrigerated storage
Worst he will do is say no... let him know how much the product means to you and see what his response is

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

I used to order bison from a place in Colorado. It would come by Fed Ex and would arrive in a cooler with ice packs and took 3-4 days. One time during a heat wave it came and wasn’t totally frozen and I questioned it but fed it anyway cause I always hear about what tough stomachs dogs have and they can eat bad meat. Well, it made Jax super sick and it took me about two weeks to realize it was the food so I had kept feeding it until I realized. These delivery trucks are not temperature controlled. The company felt bad and did send me a couple extra pounds when I had placed my next order. I don’t use them anymore but only because of price. Jax does have a sensitive stomach so other dogs might be fine eating meat that’s gone bad.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I kept it and was fine. I’m much closer than you , you may be want to call Garvin ask if they can add dry ice to the container to ensure it remains frozen during transit. I could be wrong but I do not think either Fedex or UPS have refrigerated storage
Worst he will do is say no... let him know how much the product means to you and see what his response is

OK, will do. I believe that first shipment had the dry ice - probably why it was still frozen when it arrived the first time. THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

I used to order bison from a place in Colorado. It would come by Fed Ex and would arrive in a cooler with ice packs and took 3-4 days. One time during a heat wave it came and wasn’t totally frozen and I questioned it but fed it anyway cause I always hear about what tough stomachs dogs have and they can eat bad meat. Well, it made Jax super sick and it took me about two weeks to realize it was the food so I had kept feeding it until I realized. These delivery trucks are not temperature controlled. The company felt bad and did send me a couple extra pounds when I had placed my next order. I don’t use them anymore but only because of price. Jax does have a sensitive stomach so other dogs might be fine eating meat that’s gone bad.

I figured they aren't temp controlled. The meat packs were HOT to the touch. I froze them right away and she isn't getting sick so we may have dodged a bullet this time. SOrry Jax got sick though :-(

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I wonder why they don't use a commercial freezer truck to deliver instead of using Fedex or UPS?? I get home deliveries from 2 companies in Ontario that deliver with freezer trucks ( BigCountryRaw and Back2Raw ). With BigCountryRaw you can even put a deposit down and they will leave food in a cooler with ice packs, and pick up your old cooler, if you tend not to be home when they deliver. https://bigcountryraw.ca/customer-service/home-delivery/ Maybe you can find a supplier that uses commercial freezer trucks.