Buster Has A Very Sore Tail Pocket

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Yesterday when I had Buster out for his afternoon walk he hunched up to poop and I caught a quick look at a bright pink area under his little nubbins of a tail. When we got back inside the house I cleaned his bum with an unscented baby wipe and noticed some red bumps. I tried to get up under his tail, but he kept it clamped down really tight. I called the vet and that's where we went at 8 am this morning. The vet, with a tech holding Buster, had trouble getting into the pocket and when he did the whole county heard Buster squeal! We quickly determined that I wouldn't be able to keep his pocket clean as long as he hurt so much. He started him on an antibiotic and I'll take him in every day this week to get it cleaned and a topical applied, About 3 months ago he started doing this bouncy dance while sitting on his bum; I thought it was his anal glands and took him in to have them checked and they were fine. So, an angry, itchy, sore tail pocket is what caused his bouncy bum dance. If this is a chronic problem we will have surgery on his little tail!

OUCH... poor Buster. Good luck with it, hope it clears up fast

OUCH poor Buster as of yet Chance has no tail pocket - knock on wood but guess i need to check if one develops
Hoping it works out and Buster cooperates with treatment and cleaning

Aww, poor little Buster bum. :( Hope it clears up soon for the poor little boy!!

Zeta has a tail pocket too and it's imperative to clean it no less than twice a week or you will end up having to the the tail removed and it's $1800-$2500

Bisou has absolutely no tail to speak of, just a little spot where the fur is slightly longer, and you can sort of feel a little bumb... how can I tell if she has a pocket? I tried to Google photos and only found pictures of little puppy butts after surgery :unsure:

Bisou has absolutely no tail to speak of, just a little spot where the fur is slightly longer, and you can sort of feel a little bumb... how can I tell if she has a pocket? I tried to Google photos and only found pictures of little puppy butts after surgery :unsure:

This is a first for me. It sounds like Buster has a tail like Bisou and the problem is caused by no air circulation in that area. The vet cleaned it again today and applied a topical. Judging by the way he squealed it is still very sore. This is the best shot I have of his tail. He can't lift it up or wag it.

Attachments

• 20130716_162353_resized.jpg
    20130716_162353_resized.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,256
Here are pictures of Mack's (R.I.P.) tail and Ruggles' tail. Mack could lift his tail so it was straight out even with his back. He did that when he was in "strut" mode. Ruggles can lift his tail too but doesn't get it up as much as Mack did. None of our previous Bulldogs had tail pocket issues but they all could lift their tails and get air circulating under there. I frequently wipe Buster's bum after he poops but because that little tail clamps down so hard I wasn't getting up into the pocket right below his tail.

Attachments

• Bulldog Butts 001.JPG
    Bulldog Butts 001.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 3,125
  • Bulldog Butts 004.jpg
    Bulldog Butts 004.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,621
Poor baby boy, hope his tail feels better soon.

Aw, poor guy! Feel better soon!

I watched the video via this website on how to find/clean the tail pocket, I found it on the homepage, and I checked isabelle and she doesn't seem to have one.

Hoping for a fast recovery & no surgery!

Buster had his last scheduled tail pocket cleaning today. We're just going to watch him and bring him in if he starts doing his bouncy dance again. He didn't squeal today, but he sure said some bad words! He didn't want anyone touching his precious bottom. Fortunately, he doesn't hold a grudge, and was everybody's friend again after the exam!

This is a first for me. It sounds like Buster has a tail like Bisou and the problem is caused by no air circulation in that area. The vet cleaned it again today and applied a topical. Judging by the way he squealed it is still very sore. This is the best shot I have of his tail. He can't lift it up or wag it.

that does look really tight.... Banks' is like that and it was a wrestling match whenever I had to clean it (daily) Daddy held her and distracted with treats while I did the dirty work. Cheli has a little cotton tail like a rabbitt - I'll try to get a shot of it tonight

that does look really tight.... Banks' is like that and it was a wrestling match whenever I had to clean it (daily) Daddy held her and distracted with treats while I did the dirty work. Cheli has a little cotton tail like a rabbitt - I'll try to get a shot of it tonight

How often did you clean it?

Ouch, poor Buster! Sounds like it was really inflamed in there. [MENTION=950]shortstuff[/MENTION] I'll do an article on tail pockets today if I can that will include a picture of where to find it.

Back