Help me understand coat colour DNA test results?

Toothpick134

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Greetings from the UK. I wanted to ask someone who may have experience in breeding French Bulldogs. I have recently had my French Bulldog girl (Phoebe) DNA tested for coat coat colour. She herself is of Black coat, KC Registered with excellent bloodlines. The results were as follows: n/n, n/At, n/a, B/B, D/d, E/E, EM/EM, n/KB, N/S. (please see attached image for the results with some explanations.)

I have a basic understanding of genetics and Dominant/Recessive genes, and have tried watching many youtube videos explaining it. I would like to ask your opinion in understanding the results.

My question is: when picking a stud based off of his DNA, what are my options with regards to possible offspring coat colours my dam can produce? What DNA should I look for when picking a stud and what are the possibilities in terms of coat colour of offspring?

Thank you for reading my post, I would really appreciate any help.

All the best!
Phoebe results.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.... [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] may have some insight

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! IMO, breeding should be based on health, not what colors will be produced. Health testing needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothpick134

Reaction score
Welcome! IMO, breeding should be based on health, not what colors will be produced. Health testing needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree and I can assure you all health tests have been done or are scheduled to take place, my question was regarding colour/genes because that is one of the things I'm having trouble understanding.

Mavis

Reaction score
Because male and female each have dominant and recessive genes, I believe you would need to see the chart for prospective males. Without that, it could be any combination.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I am no gene expert, but you also need to see the sires DNA too. Black is a dominate color, so if both carry the black gene you are more likely to have black than any color, but it doesn't mean they all will be black. There was a good chart out there and I used to have a copy of it, but can't find it, but it's on the web.

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts