Help!

sah006

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My Frenchie, Nacho is a little over 1yr old. We had great success with potty training and crate training until recently. Nacho will not go to the bathroom in the house except for in his crate. When Nacho is left in the crate during the day he has started to pee right where he lays. I have always heard that dogs will not go to the bathroom where they have to lay down. Apparently mine is abnormal haha. For almost 6 months he was doing really well. He was holding it until we got home and let him out. This is a recent phenomenon that we are now dealing with and I am not sure how to get it to stop. We have tried putting a towel in only half his crate and even taking it out completely. He still refuses to hold it.

I first thought maybe something was wrong physically and he wasn't able to hold it but he goes long stretches (like 5+ hrs) without ringing the bell to go out when we are home. He also will have random days where he will hold it. It's like once a month or less that he does that though. I'm just baffled as to what is going on.

Nothing at home has changed. His routine is the same, water intake is the same, food is the same.

Any suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks!

lkclark

Reaction score
Man, I'd say get a new crate and put it in a new place. He's obviously way too familiar with his own as a potty.

Also, is the crate too big? It might be big enough to where he thinks he isn't peeing in his 'den'.

karla215

Reaction score
If you have bedding or anything cloth in the kennel take it out. I had a girl dog that would pee her bed and lay in it any night you left a bed in there, but was 100 % dry if there was no cloth to absorb it! I felt bad for her not to have a bed, but she was fine. Good luck! Karla

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sah006

Reaction score
Man, I'd say get a new crate and put it in a new place. He's obviously way too familiar with his own as a potty.

Also, is the crate too big? It might be big enough to where he thinks he isn't peeing in his 'den'.

Getting a new crate and moving it into a different location sounds like a great suggestion. Thank you! His crate is big enough for him to stand up and turn around but that's it. The smaller crates are too low for him and he can't stand.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Try feeding him in the crate... Dogs will not potty where they eat... See if it helps