Loki Didn't Make It Through First Class

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Loki is a "great dog", but might be the least obedient dog we have ever owned.

He will do whatever you want him to do - if he feels like it.

I decided to enroll him in a training class at a local Petco.

His first class was yesterday and it did not go all that well.

In a nutshell...

The class was supposed to have three dogs. Only two showed up for the start of class (Loki and another dog).
Things were going pretty well. Loki was interested in the other dog, but was attentive to me and progressing along nicely.

About twenty minutes after the start of class, the other dog arrived.

Then things got "dicey".

Loki began to make this awful, whining, howling screaming, Frenchie noise without let-up.

He was straining at the halter, foaming at the mouth and continued his "screaming".

The trainer spoke to the owner of the late arriving dog (there was a mix-up about the correct starting time of class)
and she left with her dog with the intent of attending a later class.

However, Loki was still a whack-job!

The trainer said we will most likely continue training Loki, but one-on-one for the immediate future.

Oddly enough, prior to beginning classes, the trainer met with Loki to evaluate him; all went well and Loki got a stamp of approval.

However, just before meeting the trainer for his evaluation, Loki reacted in a crazed manner to a dog leaving class.

This is pretty much unusual behavior him.

I realized later that each of the dogs that "got him going" were white.

Maybe the color is a trigger?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When Jax was a puppy I took him to puppy classes at Petsmart. There was only 1 other dog in the class. All Jax did was want to play. But he would do the commands for treats and only for treats. He still somehow graduated. A couple years ago I had a trainer come to the home. Her words were "don't ever let him off a leash." So basically to this day, he only listens if he wants to listen or if he gets or thinks he is getting a treat.

Before I got Jax I read a book about French Bulldogs. It said "if you want an obedient dog, do not get a French Bulldog."

Alice Kable

Reaction score
It is a Bulldog thing, they'll mind if they want to. We have had English Bulldogs since the mid 1980s, and when we got Buster 5 years ago we were amazed at how he wanted to please us. His mother is OEB, dad turned out to be a Frenchie, so we figured his minding came from the French in him. His stubborn side shows when we are walking and he wants to visit someone--he will just sit or lie down and not move until he gets his way. He is 45 lbs and hard to pick up so we wait until he decides to move!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Just a bit surprised (disappointed) to his reaction to the other dog.

I've had him to the dog park a few times without any issue.

erX9bEt.jpg

My wife suggested he might have a problem with the small, confining area provided for the dogs in the class.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Yeah, it could be so many things. You'll just have to keep taking him places and see if you can figure out his trigger.

Mavis

Reaction score
Did he want to play with the other dog, go after him, or fear? Did they get to "meet" each other, sniff, etc., before resuming class?

I'm sorry for your experience. It can be very unsettling when they scream, although if I know Bambi is just excited and not upset, it is kind of funny. Some of the sounds that come out of them are ungodly. :D

Good luck; are you going to give it another try?

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Did he want to play with the other dog, go after him, or fear? Did they get to "meet" each other, sniff, etc., before resuming class?

I'm sorry for your experience. It can be very unsettling when they scream, although if I know Bambi is just excited and not upset, it is kind of funny. Some of the sounds that come out of them are ungodly. :D

Good luck; are you going to give it another try?

He wanted to play with the first dog.

He never really got near the second dog.

I can't imagine what anyone would have thought walking into the store during his outburst; probably serious animal cruelty going on.

Initially, I was gung-ho to continue with private sessions.

Not sure at the moment, I don't want to cause Loki any emotional distress returning to the training area - even if it is just him.

Guess, I'll wait for a call from the trainer and share my concerns with him.

Mavis

Reaction score
Well, you can do training on your own, too. When I took Ginger to "school," they told me the key is to have a treat bag ready with the most delicious food imaginable to them. People food (in small doses), not dog treats. If they are crazy about the treats, you can get them to stand on their heads. I used chicken cut up in very small pieces. I had to laugh because Ginger would be laser focused on me and trembling with anticipation. She couldn't sit or lay down fast enough. I used the treats as a bridge to get her to learn what I wanted her to do, then switched off between praise and treats.

Is Loki food motivated?

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Can you take him back to the training area at a time when there is no training going on? Maybe seeing his reaction would help you decide if you want to continue or not. Whatever you decide, try not to get discouraged. Sometimes, it's a two steps forward and one step back thing with our fur kids (and the unfurry ones too). :heart:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a Frenchie thing, I think.... Cheli is the same way/... one dog he is great - enter a second or third dog and he turns into a foaming nutcase!
I can walk him without issue .. if he sees one dog on the other side of street or pass us he is fine... sees two dogs - all hell breaks loose

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
It is a Frenchie thing, I think.... Cheli is the same way/... one dog he is great - enter a second or third dog and he turns into a foaming nutcase!
I can walk him without issue .. if he sees one dog on the other side of street or pass us he is fine... sees two dogs - all hell breaks loose

My Frenchie is ok with sniffing a dog as she passes them by on the street, but if they start to growl at all she goes crazy. Also, she seems to hate the two German Shephards down the street and one time I was taking her out of the car just as they passed by and she ran away from me and attacked them, and was bitten by them quite a bit before I could run over and pull her way.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Spoke on the phone with the trainer this afternoon.

We are going to try Loki in another class before having to do private lessons.

Class doesn't start up for several weeks.

He will try to get Loki into a class without any large dogs; that might have also got him going.

As a matter of fact, he seems to react to horses on television; he's something else!

Anyway, I'll report back once we give the next group a go.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Loki had his first one-on-one class today...

no other dogs there.

All went well.

The plan is for him to complete 6 classes by himself and then try him with other dogs for the 2nd block of 6 classes.

When he got "tired" of standard treats, I broke out the potato chips (a favorite snack of his).

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Loki had his first one-on-one class today...

no other dogs there.

All went well.

The plan is for him to complete 6 classes by himself and then try him with other dogs for the 2nd block of 6 classes.

When he got "tired" of standard treats, I broke out the potato chips (a favorite snack of his).

Yay!! Glad it went well!!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I'm glad it went well. Keep us updated. Oh, and who doesn't like chips? :yes:

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Going to follow this thread. Daphne was raised with her brother and a bunch of cats in her former home. The neighbors had larger dogs that she often played with (I was emailed photos). Got her home and she attacked my Boxer the first night. They are good buds now, but I cannot walk her if there are other dogs around. That's why we go every morning at 6:30 am rain or shine. NO one else is out then and we can peacefully do our 1 mile.

We assume she has leash aggression because she goes nuts in pet supply stores and at the vet. I don't feel comfortable enough to let her meet another dog off leash in an enclosed area because my gut is saying she will be the aggressor. She also makes those ungodly Frenchie noises when she spots another dog across or down the street. This girl has scary good eyesight and doggie radar because she can see WAAAAAAY up ahead if there is someone approaching.

I've been working with her so hard any time I have free time. We go for tons of walks. I desperately wanted to be able to bring her everywhere with us. There was a promising moment the other day when a guy with two little dogs was coming around the corner blocked by a big bush, and I instinctively just scooped Daphne up and told her to hush and she stayed quiet while I walked by the man and his dogs. She didn't make a peep or try to wriggle out. I like your idea of training one on one and maybe adding a dog or two if the situation is warranted.