Martingale collars

Baer Rios

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the martingale collars?it's similar to a prong collar but without the spicks. It's supposed to be safer on dogs than a regular flat collar because it distributes the pressure around the neck for a dog that likes to pull. K have a pretty strong puller. I've tried harnesses but they seem to encourage the pulling more. The front clip harness are a pain since he keeps walking over the leash and still pulls some. He seems to walk best on regular collars but occasionally he will pull extremely hard. I really don't want him to hurt himself from the pulling. This is where I have looked I to the martingale collar. I'm not looking I to yanking him with it but, more of teaching him better loose leash walking

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I had a martingale collar that I thought I might use for training my current dog (non Frenchie) as he is larger breed and pulling would be troublesome, but I ended up not needing to use it. A front attaching harness worked really well with training him not to pull. I get what you are saying about the dog stepping on leash, but with a little practice (I use a two handed- slightly loose leash method) it becomes a non issue. I recently bought a modular harness by Perfectfit that was recommended by Whole Dog Journal that is working fantastically for me. I do feel, however, that a Martindale collar used correctly is fine if you decide to go that route. Best of luck!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Martingale for my bulldog. We started with that in obedience school when he was a puppy and I think it’s a great collar for training when used correctly. As he got older and bigger, I did eventually have to go to a pinch collar but that’s more to control him when people come to the house as he gets too amped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I use them all the time... it is almost self correcting, they pull or Linux and the collar slight snaps and helps lessen the pulling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

🆕 Latest posts