Nasty habits and how to stop it

BLVCKSHVDE

Reaction score
Odin has caught up a nasty habit and I can't seem to stop him.

He's been pee'ing on his bed. Yup. He has 2 beds, one in the kitchen and one next to my bed. He's peed on all of them. I've caught him a few times in the act, and scolded him. I've taken away his beds (for cleaning) and there has been times where he was without a bed for 3 to 4 days. Initially I thought that with the scolding and removing of his beds right after catching him in the act, he would understand. I mean, he knows where to pee.

One time I went out to the supermarket, and I was out for probably 15 mins top. Once I got home, Odin was running away from me. I didn't understand why as I quickly glanced across the house and saw nothing wrong. But he had this guilty look on his face. I called him, he would hide. I told him to go to bed with a light voice and he would hide. Until I decided to look at his bed to see he had peed on it.

After cleaning his bed again, I placed it on the spot next to my bed, and it took him 5 minutes before pee'ing there yet again.

This time he was 4 days without a bed (Macau is pretty humid, takes quite a while for it to dry off), 1 day after, he peed on his bed again.

I always read that Frenchies are quite clean when it comes to the place they sleep, I don't know if this is true, but seriously, he knows where to pee but he keeps going on his own beds.

How can I stop this behavior? It's getting quite tiring washing and cleaning his bed...........

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Some dogs just can not have bedding... they will pee on anything soft—- beds, towels. Blanket, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Try Primo Crate Pads-- they are not cushy and are easy to clean.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I've posted before in other threads that when I first brought my Frenchie home (she was already 12 months old) she peed on a soft pad in the car, blankets in her new crate, all over the carpet in various rooms of the house, my bed, and the couch. I stopped everything else I was doing and for about two straight weeks I did nothing else but re-potty train her. That included taking her out (at first) every single hour and showering her with praise when she pottied in an appropriate spot. I saved her most favorite treats for potty time only. Once she seemed to be "getting it" I eventually increased the amount of time between trips outside. We were going out every three or four hours with lots of praise and high value treats each and every time. Daphne is extremely eager to please and obedient, so she learned quickly and would pee, then sit down and look up at me for her treat and "good girl!"

Daphne will be turning two years old later this month and I still do not allow her to go more than 4-5 hours without being let outside during the day. Once I re-trained her, she never once had an accident in the house again. Even when we moved to another house two months after getting her.

The key is being consistent and just completely dedicating yourself to re-visiting potty training and setting your dog up for success. I cannot imagine your dog would continue to pee all over the place if he is praised and given treats when he goes outside. Unless there is some sort of sensory issue where he is just going to pee on soft things no matter what, in which case you may need to do what others have recommended and eliminate those fabrics and textures from his areas.

Good luck!