Newbie Frenchie

FerdinandsMama

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Paula and I am new to the group. I stumbled upon this website after reading one of the forums. My boyfriend and I recently bought a frenchie. His name is Ferdinand and he is 8 weeks old. He has been doing amazing with potty training but we have found that we can’t seem to train him properly to be okay in his pen by himself.

I work 5 minutes away so the longest he would be alone is 3-4 hours. We have a pen set up with a bed, water, and potty pad. What did you guys do with your babies?

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! We love pictures here!

We have always had an older dog when we got a puppy so that the puppy isn't alone.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Patience is the key. He is still a baby, and can only hold his pee for a few hours. Usually an hour for every month of age, not to exceed 8 hours when they are older. The pen is a good idea, especially if it is large enough to have a bed in one end and the puppy pad in the other end. We Always had our pups in a X-pen setup with a crate in one area so they can sleep, a place to eat and drink, and a place for puppy pads. They will potty train in time as he matures. Plus do not, I repeat, do not restrict water from him so he will not potty at night, this is a myth and very bad advice. They need plenty of food and water especially now as the grow and develop.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!

:pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new family member. I would echo the comments by davidh. He will probably need to go every couple of hours at that age. Your pen setup sounds fine.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
HI and welcome-
Ferdinand would probably enjoy snuggling with a t-shirt that has your scent when you are away and he is in his pen. I leave music on and offer the most delectable treats to mine only when about to be crated. Creating lots of positive associations helps tremendously. Never use the crate as a punishment or time out area (not that you are) as it will confuse him and start to be a negative place for him to be. I also make sure that each time I crate train a dog, I do not give off any triggers that would add anxiety to my imminent departure. For instance, I will pick up and jingle my keys from time to time even if I am not going anywhere. Take shoes on and off, etc...Lots of dogs with separation anxiety (not that your has this- he is only 8 weeks) look for triggers and start getting anxious when they see owners putting on a jacket, shoes, grabbing purse, phone and keys, etc...if you practice and do these things once in a while when you are NOT going anywhere, the dog will not automatically associate it with you leaving soon.

Something else that has helped my dogs and I, is gradually increasing the amount of time crated. You can start with just a few minutes inside the crate with you around the corner. If Ferdinand is quiet and does not bark or whine, come back into the room right away and give a high value treat with lots of praise and affection. Then you can build up to 5 or 10 minutes, etc...doing the same thing. Always offering a high value treat the dog gets at no other time, when quiet and calm inside the crate. As others have said, because of his young age he is not able to "hold it" for hours at a time, but it sounds like you are lucky to be able to come home to give him breaks outside of the crate.

Good luck and we'd love to see photos of your little man :)

hannah

Reaction score
Welcome!! Love the name!! Make sure he has everything he needs in his little space and be patient with him :)

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome!! That's a cool Frenchie name! Maybe leave something that smells of you in his pen. I used to leave the radio on when my dogs were puppies so it wasn't so quiet for them.