Allergy Related Ear Infections

mhuinker

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Sarge. I sure hope he is feeling better SOON!!!

southpaw1746

Reaction score
I'm just curious if you ever figured out what caused the ear infection? Was it an allergic reaction to the food?

Mavis

Reaction score
I'm just curious if you ever figured out what caused the ear infection? Was it an allergic reaction to the food?

I just re-read this thread and cringed all over again. I am wondering what happened, too. This was really a horrible case. I hope we hear from [MENTION=204]Kris Thomas LaBounty[/MENTION]

blushy

Reaction score
I just re-read this thread and cringed all over again. I am wondering what happened, too. This was really a horrible case. I hope we hear from [MENTION=204]Kris Thomas LaBounty[/MENTION]

How did I end up missing this ENTIRE thread?

Poor Sarge! That is terrible. I'm hoping he's okay since we never got an update. That sounds so horrible.

We had a pitbull who broke a tooth and it got an infection in her entire mouth/gums/face/and spread to her ear. She had NO symptoms until I went to touch her face and she yelped like I just tried to kill her! Off she went to the veterinary oral surgeon for 2 extractions and 2 pulpatomys!

So I would've jumped to broken tooth too.

Please update all of us soon, [MENTION=204]Kris Thomas LaBounty[/MENTION]!

Mavis

Reaction score
We had a pitbull who broke a tooth and it got an infection in her entire mouth/gums/face/and spread to her ear. She had NO symptoms until I went to touch her face and she yelped like I just tried to kill her! Off she went to the veterinary oral surgeon for 2 extractions and 2 pulpatomys!

Poor baby! :cry:

I had to google pulpatomy. Sounds awful.

Last summer Ginger was acting weird - slinking around, hardly eating, etc. My husband noticed that one side of her face was all swollen. (I can't believe I didn't see it because she is with me all of the time.) Took her to the emergency clinic; they didn't do extractions but referred us to another vet. (Our vet was not equipped to do extractions.) She had to have seven teeth pulled. I was sick thinking about it and how she must have felt, before and when we brought her home. It is horrendous when they have something.

Reaction score
How did I end up missing this ENTIRE thread?

Poor Sarge! That is terrible. I'm hoping he's okay since we never got an update. That sounds so horrible.

So I would've jumped to broken tooth too.

Please update all of us soon, [MENTION=204]Kris Thomas LaBounty[/MENTION]!

It took over 5 months for Sarge to recover from that one. We were told the Horner Syndrome he developed as a result of the middle ear infection would take some time to clear up and it did. I still give him meclizine everyday because he vomits if I don't which means he's still dizzy from the Horners. That ear infection was caused by allergies and ended up costing over $1200 to treat. He had lost so much weight from vomiting but we've managed to fatten him right back up :-D For several months he was going to the vet weekly and always verging another infection. He was so sick I had to discontinue his weekly allergy injection and haven't started back up. Truthfully, I am not sure that 18 months of that helped anything. I still keep him on the Apoquel and that has been a challenge to get because they were having manufacturing issues. Last time they only had 20 pills to give me so we'll be going back next week and hopefully can get a full 30 days. I can't get anybody to let me buy 60 or 90 because each vet is being rationed. I am scared to death that next spring all this will start all over again. We travel quite a bit and Sarge comes with us and it's certainly a challenge to pack around a sick dog. He has his own suitcase now for all the stuff he needs. Worse than having a skin kid!. We love him though but I am not fond of him scaring me to death.

blushy

Reaction score
It took over 5 months for Sarge to recover from that one. We were told the Horner Syndrome he developed as a result of the middle ear infection would take some time to clear up and it did. I still give him meclizine everyday because he vomits if I don't which means he's still dizzy from the Horners. That ear infection was caused by allergies and ended up costing over $1200 to treat. He had lost so much weight from vomiting but we've managed to fatten him right back up :-D For several months he was going to the vet weekly and always verging another infection. He was so sick I had to discontinue his weekly allergy injection and haven't started back up. Truthfully, I am not sure that 18 months of that helped anything. I still keep him on the Apoquel and that has been a challenge to get because they were having manufacturing issues. Last time they only had 20 pills to give me so we'll be going back next week and hopefully can get a full 30 days. I can't get anybody to let me buy 60 or 90 because each vet is being rationed. I am scared to death that next spring all this will start all over again. We travel quite a bit and Sarge comes with us and it's certainly a challenge to pack around a sick dog. He has his own suitcase now for all the stuff he needs. Worse than having a skin kid!. We love him though but I am not fond of him scaring me to death.

I understand how horrible having a sick Frenchie can be. It wasn't ear infections but it's so stressful, especially over such a long period of time.

I hope that eventually you can get all of this under control! My sister in law's pitbull was diagnosed with the same exact things, and with a surgery for a deep cleaning of the inner ear, he is no longer dizzy, sick, or getting ear infections.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts [emoji173]️

Reaction score
I understand how horrible having a sick Frenchie can be. It wasn't ear infections but it's so stressful, especially over such a long period of time.

I hope that eventually you can get all of this under control! My sister in law's pitbull was diagnosed with the same exact things, and with a surgery for a deep cleaning of the inner ear, he is no longer dizzy, sick, or getting ear infections.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts [emoji173]️
Thank you!