Another episode

Jeffc

Reaction score
Unfortunately tonight we had another episode where Miles wasn’t doing well. He threw up Tuesday night, it was very odd so we monitored him even closer than normal. Tonight he was shaking and having breathing issues, the pain seemed concentrated around his neck area. We gave him his medicine for pain that has helped during the previous episodes. We called our local vet who is very limited especially with Frenchies imo. He did a examination and sent us home with more pills. He seems to be doing well as of now. If anything arises tomorrow we will take him back to Colorado State vet clinic as long as the snow isn’t too bad.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Unfortunately tonight we had another episode where Miles wasn’t doing well. He threw up Tuesday night, it was very odd so we monitored him even closer than normal. Tonight he was shaking and having breathing issues, the pain seemed concentrated around his neck area. We gave him his medicine for pain that has helped during the previous episodes. We called our local vet who is very limited especially with Frenchies imo. He did a examination and sent us home with more pills. He seems to be doing well as of now. If anything arises tomorrow we will take him back to Colorado State vet clinic as long as the snow isn’t too bad.
Poor Miles!

Is it his back/spine again??

breathing issues, meaning he needs his soft palate and nares surgery??

Hoping Miles feels better!

Keep me updated.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Poor Miles!

Is it his back/spine again??

breathing issues, meaning he needs his soft palate and nares surgery??

Hoping Miles feels better!

Keep me updated.
It seems like it’s a back/spine. His breathing was effected I’m afraid because he was in pain. He has been taking pain medication and resting, and so far so good.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor fella.... I hope you can find a resolution. Cheli sometimes needs rimydl and gabapentin for his back issues

Jeffc

Reaction score
Poor fella.... I hope you can find a resolution. Cheli sometimes needs rimydl and gabapentin for his back issues
He’s actually on carprofen which is an anti-inflammatory. He’s doing much better and acting himself this evening. Very grateful! However, wish we knew more of why it’s occurring though.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It seems like it’s a back/spine. His breathing was effected I’m afraid because he was in pain. He has been taking pain medication and resting, and so far so good.

Hopefully he isn’t in lots of pain now!

Have you looked into laser therapy?? Some vets do it, but there is a person that comes to the house to do the laser therapy to make the dog more comfortable, maybe there is one in your area?? Or see if a vet around you does it?

It’s really good and it helps them heal, some dogs That were paralyzed completely, they had laser therapy and they are running around again, not saying every dog it will fix, but it’s really relaxing for the dog too. Rusty loves it.
It took 3-4 sessions of laser therapy for the one dog to be able to walk again(this was someone I know, not Rusty). But Rusty sure loves it, and I find it helps him.

I give Rusty CBD oil for his seizures and IVDD for inflammation and pain to maintain.

keep us updated

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He’s actually on carprofen which is an anti-inflammatory. He’s doing much better and acting himself this evening. Very grateful! However, wish we knew more of why it’s occurring though.
Have they done x-rays of the back to see how his spine looks? As mentioned by @Rusty’s Owner laser therapy really helps with the inflammation/swelling.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Have they done x-rays of the back to see how his spine looks? As mentioned by @Rusty’s Owner laser therapy really helps with the inflammation/swelling.
No they haven’t done a X-ray yet. It was discussed last May I don’t recall why they decided not to proceed.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
No they haven’t done a X-ray yet. It was discussed last May I don’t recall why they decided not to proceed.
Have you considered getting a MRI done?? That’s what we did for Rusty cause that’s the most accurate.

Odd they didn’t do X ray!

Jeffc

Reaction score
Have you considered getting a MRI done?? That’s what we did for Rusty cause that’s the most accurate.

Odd they didn’t do X ray!
By the time we can get to CSU he wasn’t exhibiting symptoms and they did not feel like putting him to sleep to do a X-ray was necessary at that time.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
By the time we can get to CSU he wasn’t exhibiting symptoms and they did not feel like putting him to sleep to do a X-ray was necessary at that time.
That was the first thing my vet did, was the X ray and then referred to neurologist for idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD so they did the MRI.

How is he today?

Jeffc

Reaction score
That was the first thing my vet did, was the X ray and then referred to neurologist for idiopathic epilepsy and IVDD so they did the MRI.

How is he today?
Thankfully he’s acting as if nothing ever happened. Tomorrow will be the true test we aren’t going to give him anymore pain medicine after tonight.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thankfully he’s acting as if nothing ever happened. Tomorrow will be the true test we aren’t going to give him anymore pain medicine after tonight.

Glad he is feeling better, keep us updated how he does tomorrow

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
it is common from it to come and go... keep watch and do not let him go up/down stairs or jump on/off furniture

Jeffc

Reaction score
it is common from it to come and go... keep watch and do not let him go up/down stairs or jump on/off furniture
We never let him walk stairs and have ramps around all the furniture upstairs. Do you think it’s IVDD related?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We never let him walk stairs and have ramps around all the furniture upstairs. Do you think it’s IVDD related?
most likely.... there are different degrees of it

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m afraid you’re probably correct. Thanks for all your knowledge and well wishes.
Cheli most likely has it due to issues we see with him, but we have been lucky in being able to keep it "controlled" with laser therapy and rimadyl

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

I also never let Rusty do any stairs, no high jumping other than play with our other dogs, and no jumping on/off furniture(he is only allowed on couch when someone is on there with him, and we pick him up and put him back down on ground).

Miles probably does have IVDD.

Hope he continues to improve. 🙂

Jeffc

Reaction score
I also never let Rusty do any stairs, no high jumping other than play with our other dogs, and no jumping on/off furniture(he is only allowed on couch when someone is on there with him, and we pick him up and put him back down on ground).

Miles probably does have IVDD.

Hope he continues to improve. 🙂
We sent CSU the video from the other night when he was having his horrible symptoms. We are hoping too have a conversation with them this week, and create a plan moving forward. I’m really torn on how invasive I want to let them get, he will be 5 in October.

Last edited: