Desperately need help

FG15

Reaction score
Hi all,

My boy Cooper has been through hell in a hand basket. He’s 5mo now and very underweight at 8.5lbs. He was diagnosed with Giardia at 14 weeks and has been dealing with it ever since. We tried every diet plan and medicine under the sun, and I think pumpkin + Panacur C is working. Unfortunately he still bleeds (every poop), and the vet assumes it’s from his dog food irritating his colon - he ONLY eats just food for dogs (beef and russet potato) but it’s so rich and greasy, I’m quite confident he’s getting sick from it (he would need appetite stimulant to eat within the last week).

The vet put us on hills science dry puppy food, but Cooper won’t touch it. He’s hungry - he will beg for human food and would eat the wet food I put on top but not eat kibble. The wet food is very low in nutrients and calories so the vet said he is picky and needs to eat his kibble to grow.

I’m worried sick. He’s so small and his head and legs are so big/long, and he has a lot of loose skin everywhere, so I’m assuming he’s ready to grow, but he’s on day 2 of the hunger strike. He’ll go up to his bowl and act excited/hungry but when he sees it’s plain dry kibble, he won’t touch it. Hasn’t thrown up bile yet but I’m ready for it.

Also, since there’s less food in his tummy, he still only poops blood - and there is more of it. I’m tired and panicked. Can anyone offer advice? I’ve tried additives, wetting the food - everything. He’s just used to cooked food but that isn’t nutritionally complete for a puppy, and apparently it’s hurting him!

Gertruda

Reaction score
Hello there,
My puppy was diagnosed with Giardia at about the same age.. We tried everything, pumpkin and panacur seemed to work the best. Puppy was thin, loose skin and pooping diarrhea with blood, or just blood.
Vet advised to do a second deworming too, somewhere in the midst of this.. And we did a blood test which showed inflammation , and she was given antibiotics.
She was on dogs food ( vet gave us puppies Science as a prescription)... also we were giving her pro-biotics (because of antibiotics) in a pill or a spoon of yogurt.
Additionally I was making soup for her: chicken breast (boiled it for 40 min or so) with sweet potatoes and rice (all mixed as a liquid paste)..and sometimes I gave her canned pumpkin pure. She loved it and we think it helped too. We were worried sick with all this but the infection cleared up, now she is a healthy pup, poop is good (somewhat frequent - 5-7 times a day but maybe she will grow out of it)...All together it took us about 3 weeks to get back to 100% normal. I think a combo of panacur and antibiotics worked. Chicken soup was very helpful to give her the strength she needed. Good luck to you and your puppy.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My boy Cooper has been through hell in a hand basket. He’s 5mo now and very underweight at 8.5lbs. He was diagnosed with Giardia at 14 weeks and has been dealing with it ever since. We tried every diet plan and medicine under the sun, and I think pumpkin + Panacur C is working. Unfortunately he still bleeds (every poop), and the vet assumes it’s from his dog food irritating his colon - he ONLY eats just food for dogs (beef and russet potato) but it’s so rich and greasy, I’m quite confident he’s getting sick from it (he would need appetite stimulant to eat within the last week).

The vet put us on hills science dry puppy food, but Cooper won’t touch it. He’s hungry - he will beg for human food and would eat the wet food I put on top but not eat kibble. The wet food is very low in nutrients and calories so the vet said he is picky and needs to eat his kibble to grow.

I’m worried sick. He’s so small and his head and legs are so big/long, and he has a lot of loose skin everywhere, so I’m assuming he’s ready to grow, but he’s on day 2 of the hunger strike. He’ll go up to his bowl and act excited/hungry but when he sees it’s plain dry kibble, he won’t touch it. Hasn’t thrown up bile yet but I’m ready for it.

Also, since there’s less food in his tummy, he still only poops blood - and there is more of it. I’m tired and panicked. Can anyone offer advice? I’ve tried additives, wetting the food - everything. He’s just used to cooked food but that isn’t nutritionally complete for a puppy, and apparently it’s hurting him!

Try a bland diet... boiled ground beef and rice or egg noodle. Then find. High quality food to feed or feed raw. Hills is a crap food, all fillers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

🆕 Latest posts