Frenchie games

Pope

Reaction score
Pope loves to play with his toys... for about 5 minutes. I know that he's teething, but he seems to prefer chewing on anything but his kong bones or stuffed animal. It's feels like an endless task of getting him to be amused with his own things over the couch or table legs. Do you guys have anything you do to keep them engaged? Also- since it's been rainy these past few days (the sweater definitely helps for going potty!) he doesn't want to run around or go for a walk outside. Leading to more energy in the house- and more chewing on things besides his toys. I feel bad that he is probably bored, but I'm unsure of how to get his energy out inside.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used apple bitter spray when Jax was a little puppy to prevent him from chewing on the furniture and it worked. He got the hint pretty quickly. I have found that Jax likes some toys more than others so it can take some time finding what kinds of toys Pope will like to play with. A lot of people on here have dogs that love Nylabones but Jax never took to them. One thing we do with Jax inside to get his energy out is to throw one of his toys down the hallway so he can run to get it and we do that until he gets tired or just doesn't want to play anymore.

TeresaW

Reaction score
We, too, are finding out that Frenchies love to chew. Pierce likes the Nylabone toys, better than their bones right now. Today, I found him a toy that crinkles. He is loving it. I thought he might since he had a ton of fun with a crinkly envelope a couple of days ago. Hartz makes something called Tiny Dog Dental Duo. It is like a nylon bone on the back with a bacon flavored treat on the front. It is hard to chew the treat off and he has spent quite awhile working on it.
I have a feeling this pup will end up with some of the interactive toysi keep seeing at the pets stores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of Jax's favorite toys is an empty plastic water or soda (cleaned out) bottle. He sees one and he goes crazy for it. Once he starts chewing it up I take it away and give him a new one. He literally has a toy box full of toys but loves those plastic bottles.

Pope

Reaction score
I tried to introduce a water bottle today haha he was very unsure of it and it resulted in a lot of barking. He does seem to love to run, but he gets over that quickly too. We bought him these little tennis balls and he loved running after them last night, but today he seemed pretty uninterested. He does seem to be getting braver though, so maybe we're moving in the right direction to go outside!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We got lucky with Henri, as he doesn't want to chew on things that much, and when I tell him NO, he usually listens and will go find a toy. I would just say, stay on him, and he will get it eventually.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Also got lucky, Cheli does not touch anything that is not one of the bones or toys meant for them --- stay consistent and re-direct as soon as he trys to grab something not his

eeturk

Reaction score
Try antlers! You can buy them at petco or on amazon. But our local tj maxx sometimes has them for cheaper! Hudson never liked anything until we tried antlers. He also likes bully sticks and buffalo trachea. He will chew on those for hours. He has gotten much more interested in toys as he has aged, and now has many favorites, so it could just be that he's young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lkclark

Reaction score
Our breeder recommended the crinkly toys 100%. She says that they fascinate her puppies for hours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Quella is the same way. I think she chews on 1 of 20 teething type/crinkly/etc toys for 5 minutes or less then moves on to chewing lovingly on the metal bars of the X-Pen. I bought the Apple Biters spray and it could be because she is a bully breed, but she licks it off and tracks down the next spot I sprayed some. She is probably cringing and about ready to gag, but continues to do it because she is not supposed to. Similar to her going potty on the floor and staring me down while she does it, probably saying 'Neaner neaner, clean THIS up mommy!' Now she is unfortunately only out of her X-Pen when I'm on the floor and within arms reach. She ventures off, sniffs and starts to chew on something while I'm screaming like a banshee or trying to make a loud noise to distract her. She only stops when I physically remove her and stuff a dog toy in her mouth. Her new nickname is Sassy Pants.

Neener.jpg

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!