Housebreaking

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
@Rusty’s Owner … I also worked at a dog daycare for four years, same for us, it being in PA, they had to have an up to date rabies shot. The state would random come in to check that we had shot documents for attending dogs.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
@Rusty’s Owner … I also worked at a dog daycare for four years, same for us, it being in PA, they had to have an up to date rabies shot. The state would random come in to check that we had shot documents for attending dogs.
Oh that’s interesting. Some places require certain things like rabies and some don’t but for this one it only requires puppy shots.

Mavis

Reaction score
Her in PA, the only legally required shot is rabies… all others can be forced upon you. But, yes, your vet may decline you as a client if you do… they probably lose money from big farma by not meeting a quota. I’m very lucky with our vet, he rather we do them, but I said we prefer not to and he accepted it
It will be interesting to see what the vet says. I will keep you posted. I may be looking for a new vet. What I am finding around here, however, is that what one practice does, they all seem to follow - so, if I am "required" to have annual vaccinations performed in addition to rabies in order to remain a client, then I'm going to be stuck. I can't believe I am the only one in a huge practice that opts to forego annual vaccinations.

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes thats true that they don’t learn much in school(3 vets have said this), and like any other person, they have to educate themselves like us and everyone else. I’m not knocking anyone, but it’s frustrating for us dog owners that just want the best for our dogs and we want them to live a long life. Vets are great for medical care for our dogs but not nutrition.

When my current oldest dog(not Rusty), was a pup, she was very sick, and we took her to a vet(this is not the vet we currently have), she said she needed ‘prescription digestion food’ and we paid for it and then called the breeder for her opinion, breeder said take that food back, it’s garbage all she needs is antibiotics. So we took the unopened bag back and said we have tales to breeder and have decided to not change her to this food. The lady at the front chewed us out saying “your taking the breeders advice over the vets advice, how could you! She isn’t gonna get better!” And made us feel horrible. We took her to a different clinic and said we wouldn’t go back to the other. This good vet was Amazing and Said she didn’t need prescription food and to put her on antibiotics for 2 days. Problem solved!
That same good Dr at the good clinic, we have been seeing her for 8 years now, but all vets will recommend prescription foods at some point for marketing, hypoallergenic, kidney food, and urinary food for Rusty having crystals(which was fixed thru diet and supplements and water), 1 year later still no crystals and he is on a good food and supplement for his urine still.

The information i gave you was to help you know what dogs need, it’s up to you as the owner of what shots he gets.
I certainly hope you don’t lose your vet/client relationship over a vaccines.

I used to work at a dog daycare where there was 50+ dogs at once. 98% of those dogs were only had the puppy shots and no other shots, there was lots of puppies, and Middle Ages and some older dogs. Before they are allowed in we ask to see the puppy shots, and most people said that’s all they did and showed the records I was there for 3 years, no dogs had any disease or viruses.

Did you read the heartworm article?
It’s up to you if what you want to do with Jelly and if you want to put him on heartworm.
I agree with your statement about vets not being schooled in nutrition and being less than helpful in that area.

I haven't yet read the article on heartworm. Will need to because that one I am conflicted about. Unlike Bambi and Petey when she was alive, they didn't choose to stay outside very long. If they did, it was usually laying in the sun on the deck. Jelly, however, likes to be out for long periods of time, so therefore Petey is now, too (I or my husband are with them all of the time). I'm kind of concerned about heartworm and flea/tick only for that reason.

Mavis

Reaction score
Oh that’s interesting. Some places require certain things like rabies and some don’t but for this one it only requires puppy shots.
Jelly had his first meal of Raised Right this morning. I was concerned he wouldn't eat it because it smelled kind of funky (I think it's the spearmint that's in it - just not an appetizing combo with beef - to me, anyway). He loved it and ate it all. I was very happy that each bag is two cups (two days). I will have to pick up a bag of Orijen today for his mid-day and bedtime snacks. Just have to review the flavors you suggested. I don't want to undo all the good this new food may be doing by feeding him crap food for his snacks.

John weighs Jelly every Friday. On April 29, he was 10.4 lbs. He'll be 13 weeks tomorrow (5/2/22). When we got him three weeks ago, he was 8.4 lbs. He is growing like a weed.

Still having some accidents in the house - more pee accidents than poop. Usually on my husband's watch. He thinks laying on the couch is watching him. This morning, however, I took him out after his initial pee and stayed with him ten minutes and then brought him in. He immediately went to the large dog bed on the floor and squated, which I caught before he got out a half a teaspoon. I took him out immediately and it took him a while to pee. He does better in the grass, so I'll just have to start putting my boots on to take him because the grass if soaking wet in the morning.

Attachments

• Jelly - 4-30-22.jpg
    Jelly - 4-30-22.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly had his first meal of Raised Right this morning. I was concerned he wouldn't eat it because it smelled kind of funky (I think it's the spearmint that's in it - just not an appetizing combo with beef - to me, anyway). He loved it and ate it all. I was very happy that each bag is two cups (two days). I will have to pick up a bag of Orijen today for his mid-day and bedtime snacks. Just have to review the flavors you suggested. I don't want to undo all the good this new food may be doing by feeding him crap food for his snacks.

John weighs Jelly every Friday. On April 29, he was 10.4 lbs. He'll be 13 weeks tomorrow (5/2/22). When we got him three weeks ago, he was 8.4 lbs. He is growing like a weed.

Still having some accidents in the house - more pee accidents than poop. Usually on my husband's watch. He thinks laying on the couch is watching him. This morning, however, I took him out after his initial pee and stayed with him ten minutes and then brought him in. He immediately went to the large dog bed on the floor and squated, which I caught before he got out a half a teaspoon. I took him out immediately and it took him a while to pee. He does better in the grass, so I'll just have to start putting my boots on to take him because the grass if soaking wet in the morning.

That’s awesome Jelly likes the new food!
Yes it does smell like the spearmint.

That’s a good idea to get a bag of Orijen for the snacks, that way he doesn’t eat any fillers anymore. He won’t be in constant dehydration anymore😊

Wow he is definitely growing!

Was it raining or did he just want to pee in the grass?
That’s very frustrating when they do that.
The only reason Rusty ever did that was cause it’s too cold or it’s raining and he didn’t want to get wet. Did you spray him for being stubborn like that and peeing in the dog bed ???

How is bell training going??? Is he getting used to the bell?

I am actually in the same boat as you right now with my neighbors dog who I dog sit for(she just got a Frenchie pup-5 months old) and I am training him to pee on command outside and when Rusty hears me tell the pup to pee Rusty comes out and pees and looks at me thinking I was asking him lol!
He is like Rusty when Rusty was a pup cause he tried to run inside when it’s raining cause he doesn’t want to pee outside.
I think that’s a Frenchie thing of being stubborn when it’s raining!

He is so cute! Getting so big!

Keep us updated on his training and on the new food!
I’m always happy to help😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I agree with your statement about vets not being schooled in nutrition and being less than helpful in that area.

I haven't yet read the article on heartworm. Will need to because that one I am conflicted about. Unlike Bambi and Petey when she was alive, they didn't choose to stay outside very long. If they did, it was usually laying in the sun on the deck. Jelly, however, likes to be out for long periods of time, so therefore Petey is now, too (I or my husband are with them all of the time). I'm kind of concerned about heartworm and flea/tick only for that reason.

It’s very interesting in the article and should answer your questions/concerns!
If your worried about heartworm and flea/tick treatment it’s up to you what you want to do.

Keep us updated on what the vet says about not vaccinating him other than rabies and puppy shots.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome Jelly likes the new food!
Yes it does smell like the spearmint.

That’s a good idea to get a bag of Orijen for the snacks, that way he doesn’t eat any fillers anymore. He won’t be in constant dehydration anymore😊

Wow he is definitely growing!

Was it raining or did he just want to pee in the grass?
That’s very frustrating when they do that.
The only reason Rusty ever did that was cause it’s too cold or it’s raining and he didn’t want to get wet. Did you spray him for being stubborn like that and peeing in the dog bed ???

How is bell training going??? Is he getting used to the bell?

I am actually in the same boat as you right now with my neighbors dog who I dog sit for(she just got a Frenchie pup-5 months old) and I am training him to pee on command outside and when Rusty hears me tell the pup to pee Rusty comes out and pees and looks at me thinking I was asking him lol!
He is like Rusty when Rusty was a pup cause he tried to run inside when it’s raining cause he doesn’t want to pee outside.
I think that’s a Frenchie thing of being stubborn when it’s raining!

He is so cute! Getting so big!

Keep us updated on his training and on the new food!
I’m always happy to help😊
Where do I start? Haha! Yesterday, I inadvertently gave him a full cup of RR for breakfast. I didn't realize until later when my husband asked me what I used to measure. Anyway, he ate all of it at once and he eats heartily. He way prefers it over the Purina. Got a bag of Orijen yesterday for his snacks.

Little b*&^%$# is fighting me on the potty training bad. Some days he pees and poops right away and I let him in immediately. Those days I get so encouraged that he is getting the association. We ring the bell, we go out, I always say the same thing and praise him as he's going, and we come right back in. Other times he goes out and either takes forever or just doesn't go. I let him out frequently (ever 60-90 minutes). Maybe that is too often? He plays with the bell by pulling it. :mad: I still say potty-potty and let him out, but he uses it more when he wants to go out than when he wants to pee. When I put him down by the door and we go outside, he stands in the kitchen doorway and won't go out, even though I am calling him and standing outside myself. I don't want to have to carry him out because he's not learning that way. When he peed on the dog bed, I didn't have my spray bottle with me - we had just come in from outside - but I yelled "NO" to him and he stopped immediately. Let him out again and I think he eventually peed a teaspoon after being out a while. Other than house training, I have no complaints with him. Challenging.

Yesterday they went for their first ice cream (did I say that already?). Wanted to give him more socialization and positive experiences so he doesn't fear imprint.

I'm afraid he's going to be huge, not that there's anything I can do about it. How much does your neighbor's five month old weigh?

He is very affectionate and sleeps on my lap for a couple hours after he gets up in the morning. He is very good about not biting me, and he and Petey play so well together. No more biting.

Mavis

Reaction score
It’s very interesting in the article and should answer your questions/concerns!
If your worried about heartworm and flea/tick treatment it’s up to you what you want to do.

Keep us updated on what the vet says about not vaccinating him other than rabies and puppy shots.
Thank you for your help and interest! I won't be able to report until May 18 when we see the vet again. He goes on 5/4, but will only see the tech for his lepto shot. I wonder if that long response she sent me about vaccinations is their standard response to people like me. I can't believe the vet would actually take the time to write such a long email to me otherwise.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Where do I start? Haha! Yesterday, I inadvertently gave him a full cup of RR for breakfast. I didn't realize until later when my husband asked me what I used to measure. Anyway, he ate all of it at once and he eats heartily. He way prefers it over the Purina. Got a bag of Orijen yesterday for his snacks.

Little b*&^%$# is fighting me on the potty training bad. Some days he pees and poops right away and I let him in immediately. Those days I get so encouraged that he is getting the association. We ring the bell, we go out, I always say the same thing and praise him as he's going, and we come right back in. Other times he goes out and either takes forever or just doesn't go. I let him out frequently (ever 60-90 minutes). Maybe that is too often? He plays with the bell by pulling it. :mad: I still say potty-potty and let him out, but he uses it more when he wants to go out than when he wants to pee. When I put him down by the door and we go outside, he stands in the kitchen doorway and won't go out, even though I am calling him and standing outside myself. I don't want to have to carry him out because he's not learning that way. When he peed on the dog bed, I didn't have my spray bottle with me - we had just come in from outside - but I yelled "NO" to him and he stopped immediately. Let him out again and I think he eventually peed a teaspoon after being out a while. Other than house training, I have no complaints with him. Challenging.

Yesterday they went for their first ice cream (did I say that already?). Wanted to give him more socialization and positive experiences so he doesn't fear imprint.

I'm afraid he's going to be huge, not that there's anything I can do about it. How much does your neighbor's five month old weigh?

He is very affectionate and sleeps on my lap for a couple hours after he gets up in the morning. He is very good about not biting me, and he and Petey play so well together. No more biting.

That’s awesome he loves the raised right food, I think he knows maybe the other food wasn’t good for him lol. Rusty too would do the same thing and eat it all if I gave him it.

Does he go all night without needing to go outside???
If you find he actually needs to go every 60-90 minutes then continue with that, but unless he is playing or drinking a ton of water then I would take him out every 2 hours.

I know it’s very annoying when they play with the bell but maybe if he plays with it and you let him outside he will start to think if I play with the bell I get let out to play or pee. My neighbors pup was doing that yesterday, he would play with the bell and I let him out and he went to chew the hose nozzle instead and did pee after.
Does he like treats??? I only ask because when they have a favourite treat it’s only used for going outside to pee on command and given a treat to start and praise, some dogs learn quicker when given treats but I am only saying a temporary not a long term to give a small favourite treat while your teaching him to pee on command so you eventually don’t have to continue waiting outside cause he won’t go for you. Rusty does go on command and was food motivated but I only used the treats until I knew he fully understood what I was asking for him to pee on command.
Currently the neighbors pup is not interested in food at all and only wants attention, and is being stubborn like jelly about not wanting to pee outside(he went 7 hrs yesterday without peeing cause he was being so darn stubborn-I had him out every 2 hrs but more often cause he didn’t pee for me yet)- he just wanted to see Rusty and I ended up taking him for a little walk to pee.

Lucky dog! I’m sure he enjoyed his ice cream! You didn’t say that already😊

He definitely needs to learn to go outside without having you carry him out.

The neighbors pup I don’t know what he weighs yet, I think she is gonna get him weighed today. His paws are double the size of Rusty’s and he feels heavier than Rusty. Rusty is 22 pounds so I sure am curious as to what the pup weighs.
I will let you know when I know.

My other neighbor next door also has a Frenchie pup who is 6 months and he weighs 19 lb(I seen him yesterday).
His adult weight is likely 22-23 pounds she said.

When Rusty was 7 months he weighed 8.54 kg
When he got neutered at 6 months he weighed 8.8kg(I just looked thru his records for you😊)-odd how he weighed less when he was 1 month older!
He has always been ideal weight(never overweight).

That’s great he still plays good with Petey and doesnt bite you anymore.
It’s nice when they can curl up on the couch and cuddle and sleep and that way everyone can relax without having to worry about watching him.

Keep us updated!
I’m always happy to help!😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you for your help and interest! I won't be able to report until May 18 when we see the vet again. He goes on 5/4, but will only see the tech for his lepto shot. I wonder if that long response she sent me about vaccinations is their standard response to people like me. I can't believe the vet would actually take the time to write such a long email to me otherwise.

That could definitely be a email they send to others and just put Jelly name in it and sent it.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome he loves the raised right food, I think he knows maybe the other food wasn’t good for him lol. Rusty too would do the same thing and eat it all if I gave him it.

Does he go all night without needing to go outside???
If you find he actually needs to go every 60-90 minutes then continue with that, but unless he is playing or drinking a ton of water then I would take him out every 2 hours.

I know it’s very annoying when they play with the bell but maybe if he plays with it and you let him outside he will start to think if I play with the bell I get let out to play or pee. My neighbors pup was doing that yesterday, he would play with the bell and I let him out and he went to chew the hose nozzle instead and did pee after.
Does he like treats??? I only ask because when they have a favourite treat it’s only used for going outside to pee on command and given a treat to start and praise, some dogs learn quicker when given treats but I am only saying a temporary not a long term to give a small favourite treat while your teaching him to pee on command so you eventually don’t have to continue waiting outside cause he won’t go for you. Rusty does go on command and was food motivated but I only used the treats until I knew he fully understood what I was asking for him to pee on command.
Currently the neighbors pup is not interested in food at all and only wants attention, and is being stubborn like jelly about not wanting to pee outside(he went 7 hrs yesterday without peeing cause he was being so darn stubborn-I had him out every 2 hrs but more often cause he didn’t pee for me yet)- he just wanted to see Rusty and I ended up taking him for a little walk to pee.

Lucky dog! I’m sure he enjoyed his ice cream! You didn’t say that already😊

He definitely needs to learn to go outside without having you carry him out.

The neighbors pup I don’t know what he weighs yet, I think she is gonna get him weighed today. His paws are double the size of Rusty’s and he feels heavier than Rusty. Rusty is 22 pounds so I sure am curious as to what the pup weighs.
I will let you know when I know.

My other neighbor next door also has a Frenchie pup who is 6 months and he weighs 19 lb(I seen him yesterday).
His adult weight is likely 22-23 pounds she said.

When Rusty was 7 months he weighed 8.54 kg
When he got neutered at 6 months he weighed 8.8kg(I just looked thru his records for you😊)-odd how he weighed less when he was 1 month older!
He has always been ideal weight(never overweight).

That’s great he still plays good with Petey and doesnt bite you anymore.
It’s nice when they can curl up on the couch and cuddle and sleep and that way everyone can relax without having to worry about watching him.

Keep us updated!
I’m always happy to help!😊
I have been letting him out whenever he pulls on the bell, just so he knows it is his way of letting me know he wants out. I have some cocktail weiners in the fridge for treats (I cut them up tiny), and will try using those to get him to come out (it's not like I'm yelling at him or anything - I talk so sweet to him and praise him - but he still is a stubborn little b. :giggle: Luckily, he has turned out to be treat motivated. I'll also treat him immediately after he poops or pees, but during the day when it is warmer out, he runs all over the yard so I can't always be right next to him whenever he does anything. (For the first week after we got him, he was so good with come! Now, he's getting his personality and does exactly what he wants, which is usually opposite what I want. 😉 He goes from 1AM to 6:15AM without having to go out, so I know he can hold it. If I see him drinking, I'll usually take him out 15-20 minutes after that, but most of the time he doesn't go. I'm just trying to avoid accidents in the house - not because I care, but more because I want him to "get it" and go outside.

Rusty sounds so good! Petey is like your Rusty - as soon as he goes out, he always pees and poops immediately if he has to. No messes in the house. Jelly can be right next to Petey as Petey is peeing, and it doesn't seem to trigger him. He doesn't even smell or mark where Petey has peed.

I am encouraged that Rusty was 8.54 kg. at 7 months. That's 18.8 lbs. and Jelly is 10.4 (at 13 weeks), so he still has a ways to go to reach Rusty's benchmark. I would be thrilled if he would be 22-23 lbs. full grown. His feet are huge - I think, anyway. He is a good boi - but definitely independent and stubborn! 🥰😇😁

My sister and friend have both met him on two separate occasions. He was so good!!! Not being a maniac, very affectionate, and laid on the couch between us and took a nap. Love that. He's in his kitchen crate right now taking a needed time out. He was overtired but would not settle. I am so thankful he is crate trained! I think maybe the challenge with house breaking is that from the time he was born until 9.5 weeks of age, he was crated all day/night except for brief visits with the breeders. They had a 4' crate for him, which is where he ate, slept and eliminated, so he has never been exposed to the idea of going outside to do his business. He was never outside until we got him.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I have been letting him out whenever he pulls on the bell, just so he knows it is his way of letting me know he wants out. I have some cocktail weiners in the fridge for treats (I cut them up tiny), and will try using those to get him to come out (it's not like I'm yelling at him or anything - I talk so sweet to him and praise him - but he still is a stubborn little b. :giggle: Luckily, he has turned out to be treat motivated. I'll also treat him immediately after he poops or pees, but during the day when it is warmer out, he runs all over the yard so I can't always be right next to him whenever he does anything. (For the first week after we got him, he was so good with come! Now, he's getting his personality and does exactly what he wants, which is usually opposite what I want. 😉 He goes from 1AM to 6:15AM without having to go out, so I know he can hold it. If I see him drinking, I'll usually take him out 15-20 minutes after that, but most of the time he doesn't go. I'm just trying to avoid accidents in the house - not because I care, but more because I want him to "get it" and go outside.

Rusty sounds so good! Petey is like your Rusty - as soon as he goes out, he always pees and poops immediately if he has to. No messes in the house. Jelly can be right next to Petey as Petey is peeing, and it doesn't seem to trigger him. He doesn't even smell or mark where Petey has peed.

I am encouraged that Rusty was 8.54 kg. at 7 months. That's 18.8 lbs. and Jelly is 10.4 (at 13 weeks), so he still has a ways to go to reach Rusty's benchmark. I would be thrilled if he would be 22-23 lbs. full grown. His feet are huge - I think, anyway. He is a good boi - but definitely independent and stubborn! 🥰😇😁

My sister and friend have both met him on two separate occasions. He was so good!!! Not being a maniac, very affectionate, and laid on the couch between us and took a nap. Love that. He's in his kitchen crate right now taking a needed time out. He was overtired but would not settle. I am so thankful he is crate trained! I think maybe the challenge with house breaking is that from the time he was born until 9.5 weeks of age, he was crated all day/night except for brief visits with the breeders. They had a 4' crate for him, which is where he ate, slept and eliminated, so he has never been exposed to the idea of going outside to do his business. He was never outside until we got him.

Sounds like your doing good with training, hopefully he starts being less stubborn😊
That’s helpful if he is food motivated, it helps teach them faster I find and the treats are only temporary until he ‘gets it’ as to what your asking.
I’m sure he will get to be like Petey and Rusty with just going outside and do what he needs and come back in, it will just take some time!

Rusty was only 3 pounds less(19 lb) at 6 months and he is only 22 lb full grown. So hopefully he is like Rusty and not much bigger.
I only used treats to train Rusty until he was ‘fully’ house trained, and once he knew what I was asking he still got praised but without treats as the treats are only temporary and I didn’t want him to expect treats every time.

That’s awesome he is very good when people come over!
Crate training is one of the best things I have done and the breeder too. It gives them their ‘safe space’ and comfortable bed and quiet space.
Rusty too loves his crate! I think that’s awesome that they are crate trained and also helpful to us owners when they are young and we have to go out or they need to calm down🙂

Keep me updated on how he does on the new food!🙂

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly loves going outside - if it's milder and not raining. He is even ringing the bell. He's been eating something furiously at something in the grass. I figured it was bunny or squirrel poop, however, we don't have either of those in our backyard. I watched him today and went over to investigate a patch of grass he had dug up and was eating. He's been eating worms!!!!!!!!! :oops::sick::eek: I don't know if I'd rather have him eating poop (which he doesn't - thankfully). That little b*&^%$#. 😄 I'm going to have to bring out my spray bottle and nip that in the bud - DISGUSTING!!!

He rang the bell a couple of times today. One time it took me like 20 seconds to get to the door and I noticed he had done a big pee right next to the door. I didn't say anything and let him out and just cleaned it up. I think maybe he is getting it!

He is sleeping right now in Petey's toy lair under the dining room table. 🥰😇 Thank you, Lord!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly loves going outside - if it's milder and not raining. He is even ringing the bell. He's been eating something furiously at something in the grass. I figured it was bunny or squirrel poop, however, we don't have either of those in our backyard. I watched him today and went over to investigate a patch of grass he had dug up and was eating. He's been eating worms!!!!!!!!! :oops::sick::eek: I don't know if I'd rather have him eating poop (which he doesn't - thankfully). That little b*&^%$#. 😄 I'm going to have to bring out my spray bottle and nip that in the bud - DISGUSTING!!!

He rang the bell a couple of times today. One time it took me like 20 seconds to get to the door and I noticed he had done a big pee right next to the door. I didn't say anything and let him out and just cleaned it up. I think maybe he is getting it!

He is sleeping right now in Petey's toy lair under the dining room table. 🥰😇 Thank you, Lord!

OMG that’s gross!! Definitely have to spray him for that so he knows that’s NOT ok!

Some things dogs like to eat, so gross!

Yay! That’s awesome he rang the bell to let you know he needed to pee!
Sounds like he is starting to get what your asking👍😀

Hopefully he continues to improve with going to the door and hope he stops eating the worms outside!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

How is potty training going for Jelly????
Is he getting better??
Hopefully he stopped eating the worms?

How is he doing on Raised Right food???

Any more recent photos of handsome Jelly??

Keep us updated😊

Mavis

Reaction score
How is potty training going for Jelly????
Is he getting better??
Hopefully he stopped eating the worms?

How is he doing on Raised Right food???

Any more recent photos of handsome Jelly??

Keep us updated😊
You are so sweet to indulge me! :giggle:

Potty training is going really well. I am finding very few spots and Jelly is using the bell, again, more to go outside than to potty, but he does when he is out there. As soon as he finishes, I give him the option to come in immediately. If it's cold or rainy (horrors!), he will. When it's nice, he will stay out as he enjoys being in the yard, but he knows he can come in when he wants and it's not a forced thing. I have to start putting him down in the morning at the doorway before we go out, but he usually has to go so bad, I'm afraid he will go on the spot. In so many ways, I am doing good, and in others, I still have a lot of fear (housebreaking, nail trimming, leash training [other than the leash on the floor that he plays with, I have not started], sit, down, stay [forget that - I can't see him ever doing that! 😇 ], come, etc.). He is so smart, though, and absolutely adorable. We love him very much.

He is loving the Raised Right food, and I feel really good about feeding him that and the Orijen. His poops look really good and healthy. When we were feeding him the grocery store brand, his poops were crumbly like sawdust and would disintegrate in the rain. He will lick his paw occasionally, but nothing serious and it doesn't seem to be a hot spot. He went from 10.6 lbs. last week to 10 lbs. this week. He looks good but is definitely not plump. I will ask the vet when we go if he needs to gain more weight. I think he's going to be longer than like a bowling ball, which is a bummer, but he is still a handsome boy.

Still going after worms. :sick: I will have to bring out my spray bottle and follow him closely to stop that, however, I like to give him his space while still being supervised. I'm hoping it's just a passing puppy behavior.

Attachments

• Jelly and Petey - 5-7-22.jpg
    Jelly and Petey - 5-7-22.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Jelly - 5-7-22.jpg
    Jelly - 5-7-22.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
You are so sweet to indulge me! :giggle:

Potty training is going really well. I am finding very few spots and Jelly is using the bell, again, more to go outside than to potty, but he does when he is out there. As soon as he finishes, I give him the option to come in immediately. If it's cold or rainy (horrors!), he will. When it's nice, he will stay out as he enjoys being in the yard, but he knows he can come in when he wants and it's not a forced thing. I have to start putting him down in the morning at the doorway before we go out, but he usually has to go so bad, I'm afraid he will go on the spot. In so many ways, I am doing good, and in others, I still have a lot of fear (housebreaking, nail trimming, leash training [other than the leash on the floor that he plays with, I have not started], sit, down, stay [forget that - I can't see him ever doing that! 😇 ], come, etc.). He is so smart, though, and absolutely adorable. We love him very much.

He is loving the Raised Right food, and I feel really good about feeding him that and the Orijen. His poops look really good and healthy. When we were feeding him the grocery store brand, his poops were crumbly like sawdust and would disintegrate in the rain. He will lick his paw occasionally, but nothing serious and it doesn't seem to be a hot spot. He went from 10.6 lbs. last week to 10 lbs. this week. He looks good but is definitely not plump. I will ask the vet when we go if he needs to gain more weight. I think he's going to be longer than like a bowling ball, which is a bummer, but he is still a handsome boy.

Still going after worms. :sick: I will have to bring out my spray bottle and follow him closely to stop that, however, I like to give him his space while still being supervised. I'm hoping it's just a passing puppy behavior.

That sounds like he is taking to the bell good and is getting better with potty training, great job!😊

That’s awesome he loves the food and the benefits your seeing(easier to pick up after him)-that’s really good. I’m sure he is enjoying the variety😊👍

The occasional paw lick, some dogs do that and others don’t, he could be licking the paw occasionally from it being wet from rain? As long as he isn’t chewing his paws.

Unfortunately puppies try to eat everything possible, but hopefully the eating worms stops soon!! I totally get you are giving him space outside but maybe only when he goes over to the worms you can redirect him or spray him so he learns it’s not ok.

Jelly is so handsome! Thanks for sharing the photos, he is SO cute!!
A cuddle dog like Rusty😊

Keep me updated with how he is doing, and how training is going and. Same with the food!

Im always happy to help!

Mavis

Reaction score
That sounds like he is taking to the bell good and is getting better with potty training, great job!😊

That’s awesome he loves the food and the benefits your seeing(easier to pick up after him)-that’s really good. I’m sure he is enjoying the variety😊👍

The occasional paw lick, some dogs do that and others don’t, he could be licking the paw occasionally from it being wet from rain? As long as he isn’t chewing his paws.

Unfortunately puppies try to eat everything possible, but hopefully the eating worms stops soon!! I totally get you are giving him space outside but maybe only when he goes over to the worms you can redirect him or spray him so he learns it’s not ok.

Jelly is so handsome! Thanks for sharing the photos, he is SO cute!!
A cuddle dog like Rusty😊

Keep me updated with how he is doing, and how training is going and. Same with the food!

Im always happy to help!
Thank you! He LOVES his food. In fact, this morning, he got impatient with my husband when he was making Petey's breakfast (he does both at the same time), and actually cried for him to hurry up! First time that's happened. When we got him, breeder said he was a free feeder and would turn over his bowl and spill his food all over vs. eating. Sounded like he wasn't food motivated, but that has changed - thankfully. Much easier to have a dog who is food motivated, for training, medicine, etc.

As for the worms in the grass, I think he can smell them, then he starts nosing/digging furiously. Again, I will have to bring out my spray bottle to stop him. Haven't had to use that a lot. He is a good boi. 😇