I cut the quick!

CristianL

Reaction score
I also cut too deep once and snipped the quick on our girl but she didn't cry or yelp and since it was the last claw I put her down. I went to wash my hands and throw away the clippings only to come back to a mini blood bath...the carpet was all bloody with each step she took.
It scarred me to my roots for a nano second 'till I figured out it was a nail bleeding especially since she was happy and moving around with no sign of pain :) We tried corn starch, baking soda, soap bar, applied pressure, band aid...nothing worked especially because she wouldn't stay still to care for her..I guess she felt our distress and it passed on to her. Finally I found an article about a veterinarian saying that in his emergency kit always has a tube of Super Glue, even for shallow skin cuts not just nails. So I rushed to the drawer, took the Super Glue, wiped away the blood and applied a small drop of glue. It worked like a miracle!

hannah

Reaction score
Our first trip to the vet with Banksy was last week and the vet himself cut the quick on one of his nails! Poor lil guy was quite upset. But yeah anyway just saying it happens to everyone even vets so don't feel bad!! I haven't done any nail cutting on him myself yet but I plan on it and will probably just do little trims to be safe.

Photogirl107

Reaction score
I've had similar situations where I nicked my Coopers quick and it was like a crime scene- blood everywhere and wouldn't stop. So I stopped using the clippers and have moved on to a Dremmel! Cooper eats some doggie Ice cream and I file his nails with a Dremmel. Have not had any bloody episodes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiana

Reaction score
I have once cut too close to the quick, so that you could see a bubble of blood surfacing from the nail. Moses just yanked his leg a little and luckily did not get traumatized. I always have a Quick Stop close by when I do nails, just in case. He has all black nails. I try to cut the nails in kind of triangle shaped cuts so that the quick would stay as down as possible.

Today I did Oscar's nails for the first time...just a tiny snip on the top. Still getting used to his nails. They are not solid dark black, but kind of brownish. Let's see how they develop when he gets older.

I use clippers. I'm afraid of using Dremmel coz I fear that I dremmel too deep.

hannah

Reaction score
We just got a nail drill thing made by oster... and no more cutting the quick! took a bit for banksy to get used to it but now its simple. One holds him and one files. I highly recommend it!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
We just got a nail drill thing made by oster... and no more cutting the quick! took a bit for banksy to get used to it but now its simple. One holds him and one files. I highly recommend it!

When Jax had warts last year we used a Dremel and it took forever to get all of his nails done. I'm fine paying the money to have them done by a groomer since it literally takes them less than 5 minutes.

Mavis

Reaction score
:cry:

Same thing happened with us a few weeks ago with Bambi. I was a wreck - I hate cutting nails to begin with. Stresses me bad. We couldn't get it to stop either and my husband went to the grocery store and they had the powder stuff. That took care of it right away. I am going to try dremel, too.
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION], what model Dremel do you use? It is cordless? How long does it take for each nail? (is it fast, or does it take a while?).

eeturk

Reaction score
We just moved to a house finally so Hudson isn't going on as many walks. He had always worn his own nails down from the walking so I took him to a groomer to have them clipped last week. She said thank god you brought him in because his quicks were right at the edge!! I would've caused a massacre. She cut them and used a dremel and he's going back in 2 weeks to have a tiny bit more trimmed off. She's trying to get his quicks to recede. Luckily his nails barely grow so it was never an issue but now without lots of wearing them down I wanted to be careful to have them trimmed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhuinker

Reaction score
:cry:

Same thing happened with us a few weeks ago with Bambi. I was a wreck - I hate cutting nails to begin with. Stresses me bad. We couldn't get it to stop either and my husband went to the grocery store and they had the powder stuff. That took care of it right away. I am going to try dremel, too.

[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION], what model Dremel do you use? It is cordless? How long does it take for each nail? (is it fast, or does it take a while?).
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] - unfortunately, I'm not sure what model it is. It's one that my husband has had in his tool box for some years.... ours is not cordless, but I think my dad's is (turbodave) - It doesn't really take very long, a few seconds on each nail.... usually we are done with a set of paws in about 5 mins with cooperation. :) Leo is GREAT! He just sits in my lap and will pretty much let you do anything..... Molly struggles with me a bit, but has gotten better!! :) Just be careful not to "hold" the grinding wheel on the nail too long or the nail will get hot..... Also.... want to be careful not to grind too far, the quick will start showing and when it gets to just a "gel" look, it's time to stop. If the dogs nails are too long, it may take a few times a month to get them down to the desired length.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] sorry late to this, We use a cordless Dremel, I think the 7700 model, but pretty much any cordless they have should work. Use the sanding band, I think the 120 grit. It doesn't take long, only a few seconds per nail.

Mavis

Reaction score
Dremel on my Christmas list!
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION], Ginger's nails are super long. She is literally terrified of having them trimmed. A normally sweet and docile dog, she gets viscous even with me when we even come near her feet with a nail trimmers. I am even scared of her then. We have taken her to the vet and had her sedated, but even in spite of laying on a table pretty much out, she still managed to fuss and try to bite where he couldn't do it. It is horrendous. I would have her anesthetized and have her teeth cleaned at the same time, but I don't want to because she is 12 now and starting to slow down. Anyway, I have heard conflicting stories about the quick. Does it only grow so long (like with humans), or does it grown longer if the nails aren't trimmed and they are long?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION], the quick will grow longer as the nails grow. If the quick is too long, cut the nails and keep cutting them once a week and it will slowly get shorter.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] this might help to. A clipping or groomer sling. Here is a pic of it. You would suspend the dog so his feet are off the ground so you can easily trim the nails.

PRO-cbr-Missi1.jpg

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Chance has only 2 black nails but i managed to hit the quick if he sees the cutters in my hands he runs. Now we get them done at petsmart before our class

New cutter Woof Wash comes right to your place have a Van with complete set up beauty parlor and bath loving their service :yes:

Mavis

Reaction score
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] this might help to. A clipping or groomer sling. Here is a pic of it. You would suspend the dog so his feet are off the ground so you can easily trim the nails.

View attachment 7485

I swear, I have often thought wouldn't it be nice if there was a harness that suspended the dog! Bambi is more manageable. Ginger is our girl who is so petrified. She is over 50 lbs. I would need a hoist for her.

Mavis

Reaction score
[MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION], the quick will grow longer as the nails grow. If the quick is too long, cut the nails and keep cutting them once a week and it will slowly get shorter.

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping they were like human quicks/nails where the quick stays the same but just the nail grows.

roxski

Reaction score
I've read that a good way to condition and desensitize the experience for dogs is to simply clip one nail per day. To cuddle them up in your lap, show them the clippers, clip one little nail and then reward with a treat.

It makes it less of an 'ordeal' and more of a daily incident.

Just a thought!

My puppy is almost 5 months old and I have a dremel and clippers, but he isn't having it. I've been getting him used to the dremel noise and touch for future use lol. He needs his nails trimmed badly and I think this is the way to go! Thank you! :)