Nail trimming

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He gets Orijen for his treats. My husband puts a tiny amount of melted bacon grease just to wet it. I forgot to mention, I believe his Orijen is lamb. He has turned into a chow hound. I only see him itching the same leg.

Orijen is good for treats!

Is the orijen kibble, lamb with other proteins or just Lamb?? I ask because I usually recommend starting a food with 1 protein at a time until he has tried all the protein options that are in the kibble(some of Orijen kibble are 6 or more proteins i believe), but he could definitely be just itchy due to getting rid of all those fillers in Purina from his system which can take up to 12 weeks to be fully out of him.

Those freeze dried orijen Treats are ok to feed dry, but wetting it won’t hurt.

Since he has no other allergy symptoms I wouldn’t necessarily say he has any allergies or sensitivities.
Unless he is outside al the time with pollen and flowers, that’s what I would be concerned about if he has any allergies.

Mavis

Reaction score
Orijen is good for treats!

Is the orijen kibble, lamb with other proteins or just Lamb?? I ask because I usually recommend starting a food with 1 protein at a time until he has tried all the protein options that are in the kibble(some of Orijen kibble are 6 or more proteins i believe), but he could definitely be just itchy due to getting rid of all those fillers in Purina from his system which can take up to 12 weeks to be fully out of him.

Those freeze dried orijen Treats are ok to feed dry, but wetting it won’t hurt.

Since he has no other allergy symptoms I wouldn’t necessarily say he has any allergies or sensitivities.
Unless he is outside al the time with pollen and flowers, that’s what I would be concerned about if he has any allergies.
I'll have to check the package for the exact Orijen protein I bought.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s good no other allergy symptoms other than the itching of the leg.
I definitely think he could be ‘detoxing’ still, as when you give them healthy food, it still can take up to 12 weeks for the old food to be out of his system.

We have been waiting for spring weather to be here too(still raining lots here)! Rusty will love the sun like Jelly.

Glad to know house training is going good for most of the time. Of course you will have the odd day of him being stubborn.
I know it’s very frustrating when they do that even when the door is open.

Sure, send the photos over when you get a chance!

I love those adorable photos of Jelly, SO adorable! He doesn’t look skinny in those photos, he looks good!😊
Thank you!!!

Mavis

Reaction score
You're right - the Orijen food is a blend of 5-6 proteins. I don't remember seeing a formula that was just a single protein. We will finish this bag as I got the small one. I've got two kinds of Purina that I've already bought and can't use. I will have to see if one of the local rescues will take it.

Attachments

• Jellys food 1.jpg
    Jellys food 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Jellys food 2.jpg
    Jellys food 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
You're right - the Orijen food is a blend of 5-6 proteins. I don't remember seeing a formula that was just a single protein. We will finish this bag as I got the small one. I've got two kinds of Purina that I've already bought and can't use. I will have to see if one of the local rescues will take it.

No I don’t think Orijen has a 1 protein formula, i was saying before to try him on Acana Lamb and see how he does(kibble only meals and RR the other meals), then if he did good with lamb, try pork or a different protein next, then try another if he is doing fine without any allergies, then once he has had all the protein options, Orijen is good after you have ruled out any of the protein options he could be allergic to, if all is fine, then go back to Orijen this formula. But if he is doing good now with no allergy symptoms other than the itching on the leg, then continue what you are currently feeding him😊
Still rotate thru the orijen formulas though to prevent food allergies!😊

Keep me updated!
I’m always happy to help!😊

Mavis

Reaction score
No I don’t think Orijen has a 1 protein formula, i was saying before to try him on Acana Lamb and see how he does(kibble only meals and RR the other meals), then if he did good with lamb, try pork or a different protein next, then try another if he is doing fine without any allergies, then once he has had all the protein options, Orijen is good after you have ruled out any of the protein options he could be allergic to, if all is fine, then go back to Orijen this formula. But if he is doing good now with no allergy symptoms other than the itching on the leg, then continue what you are currently feeding him😊
Still rotate thru the orijen formulas though to prevent food allergies!😊

Keep me updated!
I’m always happy to help!1!!!
Just finished giving Jelly his first bath (not because he needed it), and trimmed I think 8 of his ten nails all at once!!!! He was the perfect angel. I didn't hit any of the quick and he was totally fine. We toweled him off good and now he is outside with John and Petey finishing drying. I think he liked the attention and it was a totally positive experience for him - nice comfortable water, doggie massage, being toweled off, treats. We acted like it was no big deal and all good. That sweet little boi!!! I am encouraged that we are laying a good foundation.

Going to treat myself to a cocktail after that! It's after 12:00 PM! 😁 😇😉

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Just finished giving Jelly his first bath (not because he needed it), and trimmed I think 8 of his ten nails all at once!!!! He was the perfect angel. I didn't hit any of the quick and he was totally fine. We toweled him off good and now he is outside with John and Petey finishing drying. I think he liked the attention and it was a totally positive experience for him - nice comfortable water, doggie massage, being toweled off, treats. We acted like it was no big deal and all good. That sweet little boi!!! I am encouraged that we are laying a good foundation.

That’s awesome!! Great job to you and Jelly!😊👍

That’s great he was very good about the bath and nail trim!! I’m glad you gave it a try, and made it a positive experience for him!

What a good boy Jelly is!

It’s good your getting him used to it and making it a good experience for him😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

I had to share this photo with you I just took of Rusty sleeping while I clip his nails. He was in the blanket then seen the clippers and rolled on his back on me on the blanket LOL!

As I am typing this he is still sleeping exact in the photo I attached, gonna finish the clipping now, thought you would get a laugh out of this silly Rusty.

Keep me posted on Jelly and how the rest of the nail trim goes and his diet and itchy leg.

Did you get any photos of Jelly in the bath??
1652558673863.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
I had to share this photo with you I just took of Rusty sleeping while I clip his nails. He was in the blanket then seen the clippers and rolled on his back on me on the blanket LOL!

As I am typing this he is still sleeping exact in the photo I attached, gonna finish the clipping now, thought you would get a laugh out of this silly Rusty.

Keep me posted on Jelly and how the rest of the nail trim goes and his diet and itchy leg.

Did you get any photos of Jelly in the bath??
View attachment 15873
OMG!!! I can only wish Jelly winds up just like Rusty!!!!! That would be my dream frenchie! What an angel! No pictures of Jelly in the bath. I think we are going to bathe him every week, not because he needs it but because I want to acclimate him to it and nail trimming. Is bathing once a week okay?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG!!! I can only wish Jelly winds up just like Rusty!!!!! That would be my dream frenchie! What an angel! No pictures of Jelly in the bath. I think we are going to bathe him every week, not because he needs it but because I want to acclimate him to it and nail trimming. Is bathing once a week okay?

Maybe Jelly might be like Rusty and just lay there and go to sleep when you clip his nails eventually. At least Jelly is relaxed and lets you clip them 👍

Yes it’s not bad to bath them every week. Rusty I bath every week(sometimes 2-3 times a week when allergy flare up, but when allergies were very bad I had to give him a bath every day! Thankfully it’s only 1-2 times a week now for him).
I just have to put mousse conditioner on Rusty after the bath since I have to bath him more than 1 day a week sometimes.

It’s good to get him used to the bath and nail trims while he is young.

If you can get a conditionng shampoo(2 in 1) I would do that so you don’t have to put mousse on him or worry about drying out his coat.

Mavis

Reaction score
Maybe Jelly might be like Rusty and just lay there and go to sleep when you clip his nails eventually. At least Jelly is relaxed and lets you clip them 👍

Yes it’s not bad to bath them every week. Rusty I bath every week(sometimes 2-3 times a week when allergy flare up, but when allergies were very bad I had to give him a bath every day! Thankfully it’s only 1-2 times a week now for him).
I just have to put mousse conditioner on Rusty after the bath since I have to bath him more than 1 day a week sometimes.

It’s good to get him used to the bath and nail trims while he is young.

If you can get a conditionng shampoo(2 in 1) I would do that so you don’t have to put mousse on him or worry about drying out his coat.
Thank you; where do you purchase your shampoo? Do you use pet shampoo or people shampoo? I have been using the allergy shampoo that we got at the vet. It was for Bambi; she had bad skin allergies.

Jelly is doing well with his potty/bell training. Very few accidents in the house, and they are when my husband is watching him, but he has been good about ringing the bell. I always let him out right away and he eventually pees/poops. He loves being in the yard in the nice weather. Spring/summer is definitely a good time to get a puppy. I can't imagine doing this in the dead of winter. He hates the wind and the cold. Haven't started with any other training, but at least I've done bath and nails once now.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you; where do you purchase your shampoo? Do you use pet shampoo or people shampoo? I have been using the allergy shampoo that we got at the vet. It was for Bambi; she had bad skin allergies.

Jelly is doing well with his potty/bell training. Very few accidents in the house, and they are when my husband is watching him, but he has been good about ringing the bell. I always let him out right away and he eventually pees/poops. He loves being in the yard in the nice weather. Spring/summer is definitely a good time to get a puppy. I can't imagine doing this in the dead of winter. He hates the wind and the cold. Haven't started with any other training, but at least I've done bath and nails once now.

I buy dog shampoo(Never use human shampoo on dogs).

I wash his face and head with Tropiclean Tear stain remover as it helps prevent tear stains and if it got into the eyes it’s not a big deal(definitely try to avoid getting it in his eyes but sometimes when he shakes his head and ears after there is the odd time he gets some in his eyes.

Rusty has to be bathed with medicated shampoo due to the yeast on his skin(he is allergic to his yeast that live on his skin-all dogs have yeast on their skin it’s normal) and he gets skin infections easily but is now antibiotics resistant to ALL antibiotics because of so many skin infections!
So I have to use Dermachlor 4 shampoo(anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti septic) which I done use on his face cause you can’t get it close to his mouth or eyes.

Then I have to use a mousse conditioner so I don’t dry his coat, it’s called Duoxo mousse S3 calm-2 hrs after bath I use it so he is 100% dry.

The allergy shampoo your using from Bambi is ok to use.

Good brands of natural dog shampoo:

-Kin Kind (they have allergy ones and itch and dry coat)

-black sheep organics

-Tropiclean

-earth bath(has a mango tango scent to one of them-smells amazing) they have other scents too.

You can buy these at a pet store usually.

That’s awesome he is doing very well with potty training and rings the bell! The bell definitely helps too if they ring it.
It definitely helps when they like being outside in the nice weather, I totally agree it would be hard to potty train them in the cold weather, Jelly I’m sure won’t like winter either like Rusty, he doesn’t like the wind, rain, snow or cold. All my dogs(Rusty especially) loves the sun and likes to lay in it outside or inside if the sun is on the carpet! Unfortunately it’s still raining here, I wish the weather would get nicer!

I think your definitely doing good for training, house training and learning to clip nails and bath him as well, it’s all new for you and him and at least he is good about it all. I didn’t start training Rusty either for commands right away, one thing at a time.😊

Keep us updated😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

I forgot to mention another brand of reallly good dog shampoo for sensitive skin for dogs:

4 legger brand is really good(they also have hypoallergenic shampoo too-all their stuff is vet formulated)

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly had his vet visit for last distemper. He goes again for the second lepto and two weeks later for rabies. I talked to the vet about not vaccinating going forward and titer. She said she would be okay with my choice once Jelly is an adult. I asked when that was and she said after he's bee vaccinated through age three. I think I am okay with that. She didn't have much to say when I mentioned that positive titers for immunity are good in excess of seven years. Overall, I was pleased with her response. He was sooo good and loved everyone at the vet. He was exhausted afterward. We took him for ice cream on the way home (he only gets a little and we freeze the rest for another day.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly had his vet visit for last distemper. He goes again for the second lepto and two weeks later for rabies. I talked to the vet about not vaccinating going forward and titer. She said she would be okay with my choice once Jelly is an adult. I asked when that was and she said after he's bee vaccinated through age three. I think I am okay with that. She didn't have much to say when I mentioned that positive titers for immunity are good in excess of seven years. Overall, I was pleased with her response. He was sooo good and loved everyone at the vet. He was exhausted afterward. We took him for ice cream on the way home (he only gets a little and we freeze the rest for another day.

That’s awesome! At least your vet was good about it.

Good boy Jelly! At least now he is tired😊

Lucky dog gets ice cream, spoiled Jelly😊

Hopefully no reactions to rabies shot or any of them!

Keep me updated🙂

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome! At least your vet was good about it.

Good boy Jelly! At least now he is tired😊

Lucky dog gets ice cream, spoiled Jelly😊

Hopefully no reactions to rabies shot or any of them!

Keep me updated🙂
Thank you! I was somewhat surprised by the vet's reaction. Rabies shot is in a month. Second lepto in two weeks.

Stinkin' Jelly pooped in the house this morning. It had rained and was slightly cool out. He pooped first thing this morning, but I knew he had more in him and would have to go again. I let him out twice after that and he did not appreciate being outside and didn't do anything. If it's sprinkling or wet out, I make sure to go out in the yard and get wet, too, so he knows it won't kill him. Anyway, I went to use the powder room later and he had left me a couple of presents. :rolleyes::( I think yesterday, he pooped right by the door and then rang the bell. I got up immediately to let him out when he rang the bell, but I found two poops there. He is so good but stubborn!!! He's a little stinker.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you! I was somewhat surprised by the vet's reaction. Rabies shot is in a month. Second lepto in two weeks.

Stinkin' Jelly pooped in the house this morning. It had rained and was slightly cool out. He pooped first thing this morning, but I knew he had more in him and would have to go again. I let him out twice after that and he did not appreciate being outside and didn't do anything. If it's sprinkling or wet out, I make sure to go out in the yard and get wet, too, so he knows it won't kill him. Anyway, I went to use the powder room later and he had left me a couple of presents. :rolleyes::( I think yesterday, he pooped right by the door and then rang the bell. I got up immediately to let him out when he rang the bell, but I found two poops there. He is so good but stubborn!!! He's a little stinker.

Hopefully the rabies shot doesn’t cause any problems, I would get a Anti-Vaccinosis spray for him to reduce the harmful effects it can cause. I recommend Adored Beast Anti Vaccine spray( I think they recently changed the name of the product but it’s the only one that helps with vaccine reactions).

They definitely are great dogs but can be very stubborn, sounds like Jelly and Rusty are alike when pups(stubborn with the rain/cold weather)!

Jelly is being like how Rusty was when it was raining or cold, that’s why I started using the spray bottle(he knows going out undercover and getting a few drops of rain is better than more water from the spray bottle), and that was a big help with getting it thru to him in those stubborn situations!

Mavis

Reaction score
Hopefully the rabies shot doesn’t cause any problems, I would get a Anti-Vaccinosis spray for him to reduce the harmful effects it can cause. I recommend Adored Beast Anti Vaccine spray( I think they recently changed the name of the product but it’s the only one that helps with vaccine reactions).

They definitely are great dogs but can be very stubborn, sounds like Jelly and Rusty are alike when pups(stubborn with the rain/cold weather)!

Jelly is being like how Rusty was when it was raining or cold, that’s why I started using the spray bottle(he knows going out undercover and getting a few drops of rain is better than more water from the spray bottle), and that was a big help with getting it thru to him in those stubborn situations!
It's encouraging to hear that Rusty was similar when younger. There's hope!!!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It's encouraging to hear that Rusty was similar when younger. There's hope!!!

that definitely was the hardest part of potty training for Rusty, when it rained or was really cold. He sure figured it out that going in the house to avoid the rain would mean a spray and that it’s not ok to go In the house.
It’s funny now, when it’s raining still, he looks at me like really I have to go out in this weather! I just open the door and I 100% trust he will always pee at least once when I let him out and I wait at the door even if I can’t see him(he Rushes and is in in like 30 seconds or less if it’s raining), but will stay out longer to be in the sun.

Jelly just has to get used to going in the rain, he will figure it out if he avoids the rain to go inside to potty he will get wet a little from the spray bottle anyway, they are very smart and he should start to figure it out quick, you just have to spray him when you catch him doing this and be consistent so he knows he isn’t allowed.

But it definitely sounds like he is getting much better with potty training, which is great, just him being stubborn right now for the rain, which you should be able to put a stop to that very soon😊

Does Jelly still like his food?
Any itchy legs??

Has he tried all the proteins of RR?

Keep me updated😊

Any recent photos of handsome Jelly?
I love seeing the photos of them, he reminds me of Rusty when he was a pup, just darker than Rusty and a little more black on his face😊

Mavis

Reaction score
that definitely was the hardest part of potty training for Rusty, when it rained or was really cold. He sure figured it out that going in the house to avoid the rain would mean a spray and that it’s not ok to go In the house.
It’s funny now, when it’s raining still, he looks at me like really I have to go out in this weather! I just open the door and I 100% trust he will always pee at least once when I let him out and I wait at the door even if I can’t see him(he Rushes and is in in like 30 seconds or less if it’s raining), but will stay out longer to be in the sun.

Jelly just has to get used to going in the rain, he will figure it out if he avoids the rain to go inside to potty he will get wet a little from the spray bottle anyway, they are very smart and he should start to figure it out quick, you just have to spray him when you catch him doing this and be consistent so he knows he isn’t allowed.

But it definitely sounds like he is getting much better with potty training, which is great, just him being stubborn right now for the rain, which you should be able to put a stop to that very soon😊

Does Jelly still like his food?
Any itchy legs??

Has he tried all the proteins of RR?

Keep me updated😊

Any recent photos of handsome Jelly?
I love seeing the photos of them, he reminds me of Rusty when he was a pup, just darker than Rusty and a little more black on his face😊
Thank you!

Unfortunately, he will go in the house on occasion, even in decent weather. I rarely catch him to spray him. He is a master at going covertly, but we will keep trying. He goes up to seven hours at night without having to be taken out. He loves his food and scarfs in it under a minute. If he could shovel it in faster, he would. It's a shame it doesn't last. I'm not sure if we've gotten to the pork yet. He does scratch and chew his legs occasionally but not severely and nothing is raw. His ears and eyes have been great. (How are Rusty's eyes? I hope so much you are seeing an improvement.)

I have to take more pictures of Jelly. I must have a thousand videos but need more still pictures to be able to send. He is independent and stubborn, but he is a very sweet and affectionate dog when he wants to be. He and Petey play so nicely - all mouthing but no biting.

He will be 16 weeks on Monday, May 23. My husband weighed him yesterday and he was 10.8 lbs. He doesn't weigh much but is very long, IMO.

Attachments

• Jelly 5-14-22 - 1.jpg
    Jelly 5-14-22 - 1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Jelly 5-14-22 - 2.jpg
    Jelly 5-14-22 - 2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2