Nail trimming

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly will be 14 weeks on Monday, 5/9/22. The breeder cut his nails just before we picked him up. He is due for another cut and I am terrified of doing it, although I can see the quick on most of his nails. It makes me so nervous. Do you all trim nails yourself? I know I probably should start early when he's still a pup.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly will be 14 weeks on Monday, 5/9/22. The breeder cut his nails just before we picked him up. He is due for another cut and I am terrified of doing it, although I can see the quick on most of his nails. It makes me so nervous. Do you all trim nails yourself? I know I probably should start early when he's still a pup.

I trim all my dogs nails myself, I have done it for a long time.
When he is a pup, make sure you rub his paws/pet them(all of them) so he knows when the paws are touched, he knows it’s fine. When people don’t do that as pups they are not usually cooperative when nail trimming as they aren’t used to it.

When Rusty was a pup, from day 1 I always pet/rub his paws, the vet clipped them the first day and then I used human nail clippers(puppy nails are usually very thin), and he would lay on me and I would clip a tiny bit off every nail and always calm, do it relaxed and make it always a positive experience. I trim my dogs nails every 3-4 weeks for my other 2 dogs(Rusty’s need to be done every 2 weeks as his grow faster).

What colour are his nails???
Rusty’s are black with a pink kwik(you have to look underneath the nail to see it sometimes-that’s how I have always done it).
Some dogs have clear nails making it a little easier(or harder sometimes 😊).

I always like to have the powder on hand as it’s always helped me feel extra comfortable as I would worry the one time I don’t have it will be the 1 time I would need it.

I would start with small clips on each nail so he gets used to it and knows to trust you(that’s what I did for Rusty and it works great 😊 👍), he now rolls on his back and lays on me and he sleeps, and I file them after the clip with a dog buzzer for the nails to soften them-he just sleeps!)

If you keep up with the nail trims it will prevent the kwik from growing which is how dogs end up with very long nails that you can’t really trim much off. If the nails grow and it’s not clipped, the kwik will grow and get longer with the nail making it harder to get the nails shorter when they are too long.

I will attach a funny photo of Rusty when I trim his nails.

1651982972191.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
OMG, I wish!!! That is fabulous! Rusty looks like such an angel. 😇

I have been and do rub his feet and toes all the time trying to get him used to it. He doesn't seem to mind. It's just a psychological fear for me - we had one dog who was absolutely vicious (no joke), with nail trimming or shots - even the vet red flagged her. Petey's nails are white and I can see the quick perfectly (and he is so wonderful), but I still take him in to have his nails cut. With tip, that is $15, and he could stand to go every three weeks. Adds up when you have two dogs. Jelly's nails are a lighter brown, although I can see the quick. I do have a doggie dremel, however, I'm petrified that he is going to fear imprint on it. These are the kinds of things that stress me out - and like I referred to in another post, training like leash, sit, down, stay, come, nails, etc. He's doing fine; it's just me. Forget my husband; this all falls on me to teach him/do.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a dremel to do all my digs and I roll them onto their backs when they’re sleeping to do their nails. I cut Jax’s quick one time when he was a puppy and have used the dremel ever since.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, I wish!!! That is fabulous! Rusty looks like such an angel. 😇

I have been and do rub his feet and toes all the time trying to get him used to it. He doesn't seem to mind. It's just a psychological fear for me - we had one dog who was absolutely vicious (no joke), with nail trimming or shots - even the vet red flagged her. Petey's nails are white and I can see the quick perfectly (and he is so wonderful), but I still take him in to have his nails cut. With tip, that is $15, and he could stand to go every three weeks. Adds up when you have two dogs. Jelly's nails are a lighter brown, although I can see the quick. I do have a doggie dremel, however, I'm petrified that he is going to fear imprint on it. These are the kinds of things that stress me out - and like I referred to in another post, training like leash, sit, down, stay, come, nails, etc. He's doing fine; it's just me. Forget my husband; this all falls on me to teach him/do.

That’s good he doesn’t mind you rubbing his paws, it helps them know that’s ok and to trust you when clipping his nails.
This prevents them from fear of thinking it’s gonna hurt or something.

We have always done that when they are puppies with all my dogs.

Yes it definitely does add up when you have to pay for multiple dogs and every so often, since I can do it it saves $ I just buy the nail clippers which last 1-2 years and it cost is basically the price I would pay for 2 dogs for 1 day of nail trim.

It definitely can be a challenge especially if your the only person training the puppy(I had to do this with Rusty), and yes its a lot of time.

Can you get your groomer to teach you?? Or can you watch them when they trim their nails?? This might help you. Even if you can see the end of the kwick, clip the nails a little bit less than the groomer would(cut less off so you aren’t clipping so close to the kwick), if your comfortable but want to give it a try.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s good he doesn’t mind you rubbing his paws, it helps them know that’s ok and to trust you when clipping his nails.
This prevents them from fear of thinking it’s gonna hurt or something.

We have always done that when they are puppies with all my dogs.

Yes it definitely does add up when you have to pay for multiple dogs and every so often, since I can do it it saves $ I just buy the nail clippers which last 1-2 years and it cost is basically the price I would pay for 2 dogs for 1 day of nail trim.

It definitely can be a challenge especially if your the only person training the puppy(I had to do this with Rusty), and yes its a lot of time.

Can you get your groomer to teach you?? Or can you watch them when they trim their nails?? This might help you. Even if you can see the end of the kwick, clip the nails a little bit less than the groomer would(cut less off so you aren’t clipping so close to the kwick), if your comfortable but want to give it a try.
I would definitely err on the conservative side as far as nail trimming. I really liked what you said about using a people's clippers (for now), as Jelly's nails are so small, and also doing only a couple at a time. I massage his feet/toes whenever I can. I guess I will try doing only a few at a time with Petey, too. He is the perfect dog, but it's me who has the fear avoidance! :( How did you introduce the pet dremel?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I would definitely err on the conservative side as far as nail trimming. I really liked what you said about using a people's clippers (for now), as Jelly's nails are so small, and also doing only a couple at a time. I massage his feet/toes whenever I can. I guess I will try doing only a few at a time with Petey, too. He is the perfect dog, but it's me who has the fear avoidance! :( How did you introduce the pet dremel?

Yes my vet had said when I first brought Rusty home, use people nail clippers and just start with even 1-3 nails or 1 full paw at a time, clip only a tiny bit of the nails of the first paw at first(this will hopefully not worry at first, so he doesn’t take the fearful energy from you, think positive and only 1-2 tiny clips off each nail(like a sliver amount), even if more needs to be clipped off, this helps you feel more comfortable that you aren’t close to the kwick and your get him used to it and it’s a positive experience for him. Reward with fun, or a treat or do it just before a meal, calm energy though(don’t let him know your stressed😊) . After 4 days(if doing 1 full paw every day-but very small amounts), he will get used to it and be like Rusty and my other dogs. He will know to trust you even if someone accidentally clips the kwick in the future, he will know to trust you and not act up or act fearful/aggressive!

Do the same with Petey, practice 1 paw at a time(small amounts so your more comfortable and confident).

For the dremel,
I started getting them used to the clipping first, and when they are good and comfortable still and used to the clipping, then I did a couple nails of using the dremel to soften the nails after clipping and I’m sure most dogs will be unsure of it at first(Rusty was too, but he got used to it), then once they are ok with it and used to it you can use the dremel on all the nails after clipping(some people choose to dremel Instead of clipping), but for me I prefer to clip the nail because sometimes the dremel can go too fast and cause discomfort(depending on the speed of it), but if the nails need lots clipped off from being too long, then it’s easier I find to clip then dremel it to soften cause it’s faster and easier that way I find. But if there is very minimal that needs to be clipped off, dremel would be ok to use and it will help then get used to the dremel.

The only thing that concerns me with some dremel, is I don’t use it for more than 5 seconds on each nail, if I need a little bit more on a nail I already did, then after a 30 second break then finish the dremel of that nail. The reason is because sometimes(rare/unusual), it can burn the nail from all the vibration for more than 5 seconds at a time. That’s why I actually prefer clipping first then the dremel is just to soften cause I don’t want to cause any burn or inflammation of any of the nails.

So it depends on wh I have you would prefer, but I would start with 1 paw on Jelly and 1 paw on Petey and clip a tiny amount each time to get them used to it. This should help Jelly especially when Petety is good, he will think, what is she doing with Petey? Rusty gets jealous when I trim my other dogs nails😊 if Petey isn’t fearful of nail trims he will likely become the same.

Even at the groomers or vets, no matter where you take them that clips nails/dremel nails, or if you do it at home, people make mistakes sometimes and a groomer could have an off day and cut them too short, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with taking them somewhere, what I’m saying is sometimes things like that happen no matter where you take them, and rubbing his paws and doing little clips getting him used to it, will make him less scared/aggressive/reactive if someone did accidentally clip his nail too short and he will know to trust you and not be scared next time.

The breeder of my 2 other dogs groomed them and accidentally clipped the nail too short(this was 2-3 years ago), she was not reactive or aggressive with anyone clipping the nails, and they still trust people with their nails and paws and didn’t become reactive. This is just an example of the importance of getting them used to it😊

I work at a pet store, and I do trim nails, if it’s asked by a customer, I clipped a puppies nails, and that pup was 100% fine with it with no issues.

Then another dog came in and no one does his nails cause he is aggressive and reactive, I said I would try, I did and he bit me and the owner(thankfully not hard and it was a small dog but it wasn’t worth it stressing the dog out and potentially getting bit hard for me or the owner).

Keep us updated😊

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes my vet had said when I first brought Rusty home, use people nail clippers and just start with even 1-3 nails or 1 full paw at a time, clip only a tiny bit of the nails of the first paw at first(this will hopefully not worry at first, so he doesn’t take the fearful energy from you, think positive and only 1-2 tiny clips off each nail(like a sliver amount), even if more needs to be clipped off, this helps you feel more comfortable that you aren’t close to the kwick and your get him used to it and it’s a positive experience for him. Reward with fun, or a treat or do it just before a meal, calm energy though(don’t let him know your stressed😊) . After 4 days(if doing 1 full paw every day-but very small amounts), he will get used to it and be like Rusty and my other dogs. He will know to trust you even if someone accidentally clips the kwick in the future, he will know to trust you and not act up or act fearful/aggressive!

Do the same with Petey, practice 1 paw at a time(small amounts so your more comfortable and confident).

For the dremel,
I started getting them used to the clipping first, and when they are good and comfortable still and used to the clipping, then I did a couple nails of using the dremel to soften the nails after clipping and I’m sure most dogs will be unsure of it at first(Rusty was too, but he got used to it), then once they are ok with it and used to it you can use the dremel on all the nails after clipping(some people choose to dremel Instead of clipping), but for me I prefer to clip the nail because sometimes the dremel can go too fast and cause discomfort(depending on the speed of it), but if the nails need lots clipped off from being too long, then it’s easier I find to clip then dremel it to soften cause it’s faster and easier that way I find. But if there is very minimal that needs to be clipped off, dremel would be ok to use and it will help then get used to the dremel.

The only thing that concerns me with some dremel, is I don’t use it for more than 5 seconds on each nail, if I need a little bit more on a nail I already did, then after a 30 second break then finish the dremel of that nail. The reason is because sometimes(rare/unusual), it can burn the nail from all the vibration for more than 5 seconds at a time. That’s why I actually prefer clipping first then the dremel is just to soften cause I don’t want to cause any burn or inflammation of any of the nails.

So it depends on wh I have you would prefer, but I would start with 1 paw on Jelly and 1 paw on Petey and clip a tiny amount each time to get them used to it. This should help Jelly especially when Petety is good, he will think, what is she doing with Petey? Rusty gets jealous when I trim my other dogs nails😊 if Petey isn’t fearful of nail trims he will likely become the same.

Even at the groomers or vets, no matter where you take them that clips nails/dremel nails, or if you do it at home, people make mistakes sometimes and a groomer could have an off day and cut them too short, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with taking them somewhere, what I’m saying is sometimes things like that happen no matter where you take them, and rubbing his paws and doing little clips getting him used to it, will make him less scared/aggressive/reactive if someone did accidentally clip his nail too short and he will know to trust you and not be scared next time.

The breeder of my 2 other dogs groomed them and accidentally clipped the nail too short(this was 2-3 years ago), she was not reactive or aggressive with anyone clipping the nails, and they still trust people with their nails and paws and didn’t become reactive. This is just an example of the importance of getting them used to it😊

I work at a pet store, and I do trim nails, if it’s asked by a customer, I clipped a puppies nails, and that pup was 100% fine with it with no issues.

Then another dog came in and no one does his nails cause he is aggressive and reactive, I said I would try, I did and he bit me and the owner(thankfully not hard and it was a small dog but it wasn’t worth it stressing the dog out and potentially getting bit hard for me or the owner).

Keep us updated😊
I would love for them to get jealous when clipping the other one's nails!!!!!!! I can't imagine that happening! It's been a very interesting experience - I feel I am learning and growing as much as Jelly is.

Attachments

• Jelly - 5-7-22.jpg
    Jelly - 5-7-22.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I would love for them to get jealous when clipping the other one's nails!!!!!!! I can't imagine that happening! It's been a very interesting experience - I feel I am learning and growing as much as Jelly is.

Yes that would be great and funny if they got jealous from the other one nails being trimmed! When I trim my other dogs nails, Rusty will come sit right next to me and the other dog and actually pout if I don’t do his next!

Same when I brush my other dogs(they are long haired) if he isn’t getting it done to him he pouts and then will bark at me to throw a toy for him.

I have to clip my other dogs nails today so if Rusty comes and gets jealous I will get a photo of that for you.

I’m sure you are learning as much as jelly,
I enjoy helping people with information on dogs(especially Frenchies). I’m always happy to help!😊

Jelly is such a cute boy! Little cuddle dog like Rusty! Does Jelly like being in a blanket on the couch?
Rusty pouts if I don’t put the blanket on him on the couch!!
Here is a couple photos of Rusty in the blanket on the couch with me:
1652114180564.jpeg

1652114195557.jpeg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I cut the quick once and never did them again after that. Our first bulldog, Nitschke was the sweetest dog ever in the world… when he cried due to that, I never did them again , was the worst sound. I take the boys once a month to a groomer just for Drexel trim

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes that would be great and funny if they got jealous from the other one nails being trimmed! When I trim my other dogs nails, Rusty will come sit right next to me and the other dog and actually pout if I don’t do his next!

Same when I brush my other dogs(they are long haired) if he isn’t getting it done to him he pouts and then will bark at me to throw a toy for him.

I have to clip my other dogs nails today so if Rusty comes and gets jealous I will get a photo of that for you.

I’m sure you are learning as much as jelly,
I enjoy helping people with information on dogs(especially Frenchies). I’m always happy to help!😊

Jelly is such a cute boy! Little cuddle dog like Rusty! Does Jelly like being in a blanket on the couch?
Rusty pouts if I don’t put the blanket on him on the couch!!
Here is a couple photos of Rusty in the blanket on the couch with me:
View attachment 15859

View attachment 15860
What an absolute angel! He is so handsome! He sounds perfect! Bambi was the same color and her mask didn't reach her eyes. She was so beautiful. Jelly's mask is much farther up his face. He is handsome but not as pretty as Bambi was.

I haven't tried covering him on the couch, although Petey is most always covered (I read that it's a Chi thing). He knows how to cover himself perfectly. I have a video of it. Next time Jelly is on the couch, I will try it. Jelly is affectionate but very stubborn and independent. He plays with Petey constantly and loves being outside for a long while. He is definitely not attached to my hip. I hope he mellows into a total snuggle bear as he gets older.

Please forgive me if I already reported this, but yesterday we gave Petey his first bath ever and I trimmed all of his nails at once!!!!! He is so good. I cut them long, but we will soak his feet again in another week or so and next time I will cut a little closer.

Took these pictures yesterday. Do you think Jelly is too thin? I think the first picture, he was stretching, which made him look emaciated. He's thin but I don't think too thin. Going to the vet next week.

Attachments

• Skinny Jelly - 5-9-22.jpg
    Skinny Jelly - 5-9-22.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Skinny Jelly 2 - 5-9-22.jpg
    Skinny Jelly 2 - 5-9-22.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
What an absolute angel! He is so handsome! He sounds perfect! Bambi was the same color and her mask didn't reach her eyes. She was so beautiful. Jelly's mask is much farther up his face. He is handsome but not as pretty as Bambi was.

I haven't tried covering him on the couch, although Petey is most always covered (I read that it's a Chi thing). He knows how to cover himself perfectly. I have a video of it. Next time Jelly is on the couch, I will try it. Jelly is affectionate but very stubborn and independent. He plays with Petey constantly and loves being outside for a long while. He is definitely not attached to my hip. I hope he mellows into a total snuggle bear as he gets older.

Please forgive me if I already reported this, but yesterday we gave Petey his first bath ever and I trimmed all of his nails at once!!!!! He is so good. I cut them long, but we will soak his feet again in another week or so and next time I will cut a little closer.

Took these pictures yesterday. Do you think Jelly is too thin? I think the first picture, he was stretching, which made him look emaciated. He's thin but I don't think too thin. Going to the vet next week.

When I trim the dogs nails I will try to get a photo of Rusty sitting there jealous😊

Would be cute if Jelly was under the blankets with Petey eventually!

No you didn’t already mention you gave a bath and nail trim to Petey! That’s awesome!!! Glad your giving it a try, doing it on Petey a couple times you will get more comfortable and less stressed about it!

From the pictures, it doesn’t look like he is too skinny, yes a little thin but that happened to Rusty too when he was growing. I think it’s just him growing!

It was funny last night, Rusty was curled up in the blanket on the couch and then @10pm or sometimes later, he has his snack before bed, he came out of the blanket and wanted off the couch, then he went over to the fridge and came back and sat in front of me and cried.
He was saying I know it’s after 10pm give me my snack and waited at the fridge!
I love how smart they are😊
Does Jelly know his food is in the fridge??

Sorry I had to share that about Rusty last night!

Mavis

Reaction score
When I trim the dogs nails I will try to get a photo of Rusty sitting there jealous😊

Would be cute if Jelly was under the blankets with Petey eventually!

No you didn’t already mention you gave a bath and nail trim to Petey! That’s awesome!!! Glad your giving it a try, doing it on Petey a couple times you will get more comfortable and less stressed about it!

From the pictures, it doesn’t look like he is too skinny, yes a little thin but that happened to Rusty too when he was growing. I think it’s just him growing!

It was funny last night, Rusty was curled up in the blanket on the couch and then @10pm or sometimes later, he has his snack before bed, he came out of the blanket and wanted off the couch, then he went over to the fridge and came back and sat in front of me and cried.
He was saying I know it’s after 10pm give me my snack and waited at the fridge!
I love how smart they are😊
Does Jelly know his food is in the fridge??

Sorry I had to share that about Rusty last night!
Rusty is an angel by himself and because you know how to train dogs. They look more cute than smart, but they really are a smart breed. Wheels are always turning!

I don't think Jelly knows his food is in the fridge, but neither of them let my husband sleep in the morning because they want their breakfast - immediately! Today, John said that Jelly was up on his hind legs begging John to hurry up with breakfast. Petey's food takes a little longer. I'd say he eats it in less than 2-3 minutes. He loves his new food!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty is an angel by himself and because you know how to train dogs. They look more cute than smart, but they really are a smart breed. Wheels are always turning!

I don't think Jelly knows his food is in the fridge, but neither of them let my husband sleep in the morning because they want their breakfast - immediately! Today, John said that Jelly was up on his hind legs begging John to hurry up with breakfast. Petey's food takes a little longer. I'd say he eats it in less than 2-3 minutes. He loves his new food!

Thanks! Yes they definitely look more cute than smart😊

The first 2 photos attached are when he waits at the fridge for his food! Sitting patiently making sure I see him!

That’s so funny, Jelly wants breakfast and wants it immediately, no sleeping in for you and John, feed me he says! I’m so glad to hear he loves his new food, and it’s very healthy for him! Has he tried the Beef, Pork and Turkey recipes or just one of the flavours??
At least he is now food motivated!

Thankfully Rusty will sleep in, all our dogs are so lazy in the morning! Today Rusty didn’t want to get up and he loves sleeping in his crate and loves his bedding in there, he rolled on his side so I couldn’t get him out 😊
I will attach a photo of him this morning in his bed.

I’m glad his house training has improved and that he loves his new food! Thats so nice for us owners to see the dogs get so excited and wanting to eat their food, especially when it’s good for them!

Once you get used to the nail trimming you will find it’s easier and not as stressful for you hopefully😊

The bottom photo I attached, that’s what Rusty did when I was clipping my other dogs nails after I clipped his. He went and layed in the sun pouting and gave me a dirty look because he is jealous even though I just clipped his nails first! This time he didn’t sit next to the other dog and me while I was clipping the nails, he never passes up sitting/laying in the sun!

Definitely keep me updated on everything, I enjoy helping people out with their dogs health and prevention of new health issues(especially fenchies)! I love seeing the photos of them, Jelly is so cute and looks like Rusty when he was a pup,and about the same size as Rusty when he was that age!
I’m always happy to help!😊

I’m sure you will like these photos of Rusty too😊
1652225301409.jpeg
1652225312155.jpeg
1652225355950.jpeg
1652226015585.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes they definitely look more cute than smart😊

The first 2 photos attached are when he waits at the fridge for his food! Sitting patiently making sure I see him!

That’s so funny, Jelly wants breakfast and wants it immediately, no sleeping in for you and John, feed me he says! I’m so glad to hear he loves his new food, and it’s very healthy for him! Has he tried the Beef, Pork and Turkey recipes or just one of the flavours??
At least he is now food motivated!

Thankfully Rusty will sleep in, all our dogs are so lazy in the morning! Today Rusty didn’t want to get up and he loves sleeping in his crate and loves his bedding in there, he rolled on his side so I couldn’t get him out 😊
I will attach a photo of him this morning in his bed.

I’m glad his house training has improved and that he loves his new food! Thats so nice for us owners to see the dogs get so excited and wanting to eat their food, especially when it’s good for them!

Once you get used to the nail trimming you will find it’s easier and not as stressful for you hopefully😊

The bottom photo I attached, that’s what Rusty did when I was clipping my other dogs nails after I clipped his. He went and layed in the sun pouting and gave me a dirty look because he is jealous even though I just clipped his nails first! This time he didn’t sit next to the other dog and me while I was clipping the nails, he never passes up sitting/laying in the sun!

Definitely keep me updated on everything, I enjoy helping people out with their dogs health and prevention of new health issues(especially fenchies)! I love seeing the photos of them, Jelly is so cute and looks like Rusty when he was a pup,and about the same size as Rusty when he was that age!
I’m always happy to help!😊

I’m sure you will like these photos of Rusty too😊
View attachment 15863
View attachment 15864
View attachment 15865
View attachment 15866
Geez, if I lived in that crate, I wouldn't come out either!!! I don't blame him for not wanting to get up! John has pimped out Jelly and Petey's cages as well. I think they are both very comfortable. Like you did, he covered all around the outside with a dark sheet so they are more den-like and not drafty.

I purchased the beef, pork and turkey RR foods. I've done a week of beef and now am on the turkey. It may be a hot protein for Jelly as he has been chewing his leg. He hasn't chewed it raw to any degree, but I notice his scratching as well. I will finish what we have and not order the turkey next time around or just get a few to maybe intersperse and hopefully desensitize him (?). Thoughts?

OMG, Rusty is a beautiful frenchie!!! His color is gorgeous. Honestly. He is the butterball turkey that I was hoping for - small, compact and round. I can't believe how good he is. What an angel. I hope Jelly will grow into the same kind of guy. He is very independent, though, and isn't attached to me constantly anymore. He loves going exploring outside on his own for a long while. Maybe if/when I start training him, he will become more attached to me as alpha. I still haven't done anything or started his nails. They are getting longer. I am still terrified of trying it.

Do you have your dogs wait for you to go outside or inside first before they do? I don't, and that's another thing I know I am doing wrong. Jelly just plows his way outside, he wants out so bad. I read all about the Nothing in Life if Free training, but that is not me.

Thank you so much for all of your counsel and time! 😇

Attachments

• Jelly - 5-9-22.jpg
    Jelly - 5-9-22.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Geez, if I lived in that crate, I wouldn't come out either!!! I don't blame him for not wanting to get up! John has pimped out Jelly and Petey's cages as well. I think they are both very comfortable. Like you did, he covered all around the outside with a dark sheet so they are more den-like and not drafty.

I purchased the beef, pork and turkey RR foods. I've done a week of beef and now am on the turkey. It may be a hot protein for Jelly as he has been chewing his leg. He hasn't chewed it raw to any degree, but I notice his scratching as well. I will finish what we have and not order the turkey next time around or just get a few to maybe intersperse and hopefully desensitize him (?). Thoughts?

OMG, Rusty is a beautiful frenchie!!! His color is gorgeous. Honestly. He is the butterball turkey that I was hoping for - small, compact and round. I can't believe how good he is. What an angel. I hope Jelly will grow into the same kind of guy. He is very independent, though, and isn't attached to me constantly anymore. He loves going exploring outside on his own for a long while. Maybe if/when I start training him, he will become more attached to me as alpha. I still haven't done anything or started his nails. They are getting longer. I am still terrified of trying it.

Do you have your dogs wait for you to go outside or inside first before they do? I don't, and that's another thing I know I am doing wrong. Jelly just plows his way outside, he wants out so bad. I read all about the Nothing in Life if Free training, but that is not me.

I think they like the ‘closed in’ crate with it covered. It’s nice when they like their cozy crate bed😊

Ok so you have only tried beef, and he was not chewing or itchy???

Most dogs with allergies to chicken are fine with Turkey, I haven’t heard of it being a hot protein.

I remember you saying when he was on the other food(Purina I think it was) that he would lick/chew his paws. Did that clear up on the beef recipe?? Beef is neutral protein.

Does Jelly chew his paws still, or have any watery eyes, bumps/hives on his skin?? Red paws or ear issues(other than why you were cleaning them daily before)?? Any red skin??? Other than the itching and biting his leg any other allergy symptoms???

Which Orijen Kibble protein did you get?? Most of their formulas have multiple proteins in it, and that could be potentially Causing this. This could just be a coincidence or it could be something in the environment. Have you used different cleaning for floors or laundry stuff??
Maybe he is allergic to pollen or a different protein in the kibble? Maybe try Acana single protein for now as the kibble??

Any pollen or flowers in bloom in your area??? Flowers are in bloom here and pollen is out and environmental allergies are here again, for multiple dogs! Dandelions being one of them too.
Rusty actually has both eyes infection right now that aren’t going away with the drops like they usually do(he has had over 10 in the past 2 years), which normally clear up with the eye drops.

If you decide to not continue with RR food, I highly recommend you give Raw diet(don’t mix kibble with raw though) or mix some beef RR with each kibble meal so he is not in constant dehydration from kibble(that’s how liver and kidney disease happen). My other 2 dogs are raw fed due to allergies and their kidney disease and prevention of new health issues. Their kidney levels are ALL in the normal range for BOTH of them!

Some people are not wanting to Feed raw diet(it’s premade that you buy and it’s balanced), but if you don’t want to try him on that, it’s ok but I still recommend you mix RR or canned food to the kibble you are feeding to help with the dehydration issue kibble causes. And continue to rotate kibbles to prevent new food allergies!

For the nails, what if you tried clipping a tiny amount off the tips of the nails, and every day do a tiny bit more and as you get more comfortable, clip a little bit more but don’t clip too close to the kwick still, but that way his nails are shorter and your getting more comfortable😊

Can you take a photo of his nails for me, so I can kind of see how long they are? Maybe a photo of the nail when he is standing and a photo of the bottom of the nail so I can see where the quick is on the bottom(I look at the bottom of the nails when I clip).
If you don’t want to take a photo of them, it’s ok I am just trying to help you but don’t want you to stress about doing it😊👍

For letting the dogs outside, no I don’t have them wait for me, if they ring the bell(Rusty doesn’t ring the bell, he just sits at the door), I just go and open the door. Sometimes if we aren’t downstairs, Rusty can be sitting at the door for a minute and is being patient and I will let him out but it’s never long if they have to eat a minute. I don’t ask them to sit or wait for them going outside or coming inside.

The nothing in life is free training is not me either, that would work if the dog thinks it’s boss or alpha, but I have never done it that way of nothing in life is free.
For treats or food I don’t ask them to sit(sometimes I do sometimes not), but I tell the other 2 to be gentle when taking treats cause they get over excited sometimes! Rusty is the most gentle when taking food/treats! I sometimes ask them to do a trick cause it’s good practice, but not always!

Of course, your most welcome! I’m always happy to help😊

Jelly is SO handsome, very cute!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Also any new treats you introduced lately???
Just curious so I can help try to pinpoint what he is reacting to.

Where is he itching other than the leg???

Sorry I forgot to ask in the last reply!

Mavis

Reaction score
I think they like the ‘closed in’ crate with it covered. It’s nice when they like their cozy crate bed😊

Ok so you have only tried beef, and he was not chewing or itchy???

Most dogs with allergies to chicken are fine with Turkey, I haven’t heard of it being a hot protein.

I remember you saying when he was on the other food(Purina I think it was) that he would lick/chew his paws. Did that clear up on the beef recipe?? Beef is neutral protein.

Does Jelly chew his paws still, or have any watery eyes, bumps/hives on his skin?? Red paws or ear issues(other than why you were cleaning them daily before)?? Any red skin??? Other than the itching and biting his leg any other allergy symptoms???

Which Orijen Kibble protein did you get?? Most of their formulas have multiple proteins in it, and that could be potentially Causing this. This could just be a coincidence or it could be something in the environment. Have you used different cleaning for floors or laundry stuff??
Maybe he is allergic to pollen or a different protein in the kibble? Maybe try Acana single protein for now as the kibble??

Any pollen or flowers in bloom in your area??? Flowers are in bloom here and pollen is out and environmental allergies are here again, for multiple dogs! Dandelions being one of them too.
Rusty actually has both eyes infection right now that aren’t going away with the drops like they usually do(he has had over 10 in the past 2 years), which normally clear up with the eye drops.

If you decide to not continue with RR food, I highly recommend you give Raw diet(don’t mix kibble with raw though) or mix some beef RR with each kibble meal so he is not in constant dehydration from kibble(that’s how liver and kidney disease happen). My other 2 dogs are raw fed due to allergies and their kidney disease and prevention of new health issues. Their kidney levels are ALL in the normal range for BOTH of them!

Some people are not wanting to Feed raw diet(it’s premade that you buy and it’s balanced), but if you don’t want to try him on that, it’s ok but I still recommend you mix RR or canned food to the kibble you are feeding to help with the dehydration issue kibble causes. And continue to rotate kibbles to prevent new food allergies!

For the nails, what if you tried clipping a tiny amount off the tips of the nails, and every day do a tiny bit more and as you get more comfortable, clip a little bit more but don’t clip too close to the kwick still, but that way his nails are shorter and your getting more comfortable😊

Can you take a photo of his nails for me, so I can kind of see how long they are? Maybe a photo of the nail when he is standing and a photo of the bottom of the nail so I can see where the quick is on the bottom(I look at the bottom of the nails when I clip).
If you don’t want to take a photo of them, it’s ok I am just trying to help you but don’t want you to stress about doing it😊👍

For letting the dogs outside, no I don’t have them wait for me, if they ring the bell(Rusty doesn’t ring the bell, he just sits at the door), I just go and open the door. Sometimes if we aren’t downstairs, Rusty can be sitting at the door for a minute and is being patient and I will let him out but it’s never long if they have to eat a minute. I don’t ask them to sit or wait for them going outside or coming inside.

The nothing in life is free training is not me either, that would work if the dog thinks it’s boss or alpha, but I have never done it that way of nothing in life is free.
For treats or food I don’t ask them to sit(sometimes I do sometimes not), but I tell the other 2 to be gentle when taking treats cause they get over excited sometimes! Rusty is the most gentle when taking food/treats! I sometimes ask them to do a trick cause it’s good practice, but not always!

Of course, your most welcome! I’m always happy to help😊

Jelly is SO handsome, very cute!
He was on the RR beef for a week and now he's been on the RR turkey since Sunday, I believe. He had a little chewing with the beef, but maybe that was the remnants of the Purina in his system. His ears, paws and eyes look good - no redness or wateriness.

He is doing good with potty training - most of the time. I do catch him sniffing or starting to squat in the house and immediately tell him a firm "NO," and lead him to the door, ring the bell, yada yada. Last night I asked my husband to give him a little more time outside at 2AM in case he has to poop (he poops so much in the morning and has to go immediately). John said he peed and pooped last night. Anyway, it's gorgeous here (finally!!!) and they have been in and out all morning, Jelly ringing the bell just to get outside, but I still let him out every time. I left the kitchen and garage door open so they could come and go as they please, and I still found some poops in my bathroom (which he seems to like)! That was kind of disheartening based on how many times I have let him out and then giving them free access to outside. 😭:(

I will take a picture of his nails and send them to you. I can see the quick pretty well. Both babies are sleeping right now as they tuckered themselves out from earlier.

Attachments

• Jelly - 5-11-22.jpg
    Jelly - 5-11-22.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Jelly 5-11-22 3.jpg
    Jelly 5-11-22 3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Jelly - 5-11-22 - 2.jpg
    Jelly - 5-11-22 - 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3

Mavis

Reaction score
Also any new treats you introduced lately???
Just curious so I can help try to pinpoint what he is reacting to.

Where is he itching other than the leg???

Sorry I forgot to ask in the last reply!
He gets Orijen for his treats. My husband puts a tiny amount of melted bacon grease just to wet it. I forgot to mention, I believe his Orijen is lamb. He has turned into a chow hound. I only see him itching the same leg.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He was on the RR beef for a week and now he's been on the RR turkey since Sunday, I believe. He had a little chewing with the beef, but maybe that was the remnants of the Purina in his system. His ears, paws and eyes look good - no redness or wateriness.

He is doing good with potty training - most of the time. I do catch him sniffing or starting to squat in the house and immediately tell him a firm "NO," and lead him to the door, ring the bell, yada yada. Last night I asked my husband to give him a little more time outside at 2AM in case he has to poop (he poops so much in the morning and has to go immediately). John said he peed and pooped last night. Anyway, it's gorgeous here (finally!!!) and they have been in and out all morning, Jelly ringing the bell just to get outside, but I still let him out every time. I left the kitchen and garage door open so they could come and go as they please, and I still found some poops in my bathroom (which he seems to like)! That was kind of disheartening based on how many times I have let him out and then giving them free access to outside. 😭:(

I will take a picture of his nails and send them to you. I can see the quick pretty well. Both babies are sleeping right now as they tuckered themselves out from earlier.

That’s good no other allergy symptoms other than the itching of the leg.
I definitely think he could be ‘detoxing’ still, as when you give them healthy food, it still can take up to 12 weeks for the old food to be out of his system.

We have been waiting for spring weather to be here too(still raining lots here)! Rusty will love the sun like Jelly.

Glad to know house training is going good for most of the time. Of course you will have the odd day of him being stubborn.
I know it’s very frustrating when they do that even when the door is open.

Sure, send the photos over when you get a chance!

I love those adorable photos of Jelly, SO adorable! He doesn’t look skinny in those photos, he looks good!😊

🆕 Latest posts