Nail trimming

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you!

Unfortunately, he will go in the house on occasion, even in decent weather. I rarely catch him to spray him. He is a master at going covertly, but we will keep trying. He goes up to seven hours at night without having to be taken out. He loves his food and scarfs in it under a minute. If he could shovel it in faster, he would. It's a shame it doesn't last. I'm not sure if we've gotten to the pork yet. He does scratch and chew his legs occasionally but not severely and nothing is raw. His ears and eyes have been great. (How are Rusty's eyes? I hope so much you are seeing an improvement.)

I have to take more pictures of Jelly. I must have a thousand videos but need more still pictures to be able to send. He is independent and stubborn, but he is a very sweet and affectionate dog when he wants to be. He and Petey play so nicely - all mouthing but no biting.

He will be 16 weeks on Monday, May 23. My husband weighed him yesterday and he was 10.8 lbs. He doesn't weigh much but is very long, IMO.

Yes definitely there will be the odd time he will go in the house, until he is 100% potty trained.

That’s awesome he is loving the food, I know it doesn’t last as long but it’s worth it for good health.
If you find that RR is too expensive and still want to do it, you can try 75% kibble and have 1 package last 4 days, that way he still gets some but 1/2 kibble and 1/2 RR is best. If you do only 25% of his diet RR I would mix it in with the Orijen kibble.

Maybe the biting the leg and itch is a habit.

Thanks for asking,
Rusty’s eyes are red for a few days, then a couple days not as red. He doesn’t seem to have much green stuff in them but still irritated eyes. I had a vet check them and she said unless his eyes are red they are not infected. I am gonna use his maintenance eye drops 2x daily and continue to watch him. He still itches at them on the carpet but they look better, not great though.

That’s great Jelly and Petey still play good, must tire Jelly out!

For his weight it sounds like he will be around Rusty’s weight when he is full grown!

He is so adorable! He doesn’t look too long to me from the photos, thanks for sharing the photos, they are so cute. He looks like he loves to cuddle like Rusty😊

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes definitely there will be the odd time he will go in the house, until he is 100% potty trained.

That’s awesome he is loving the food, I know it doesn’t last as long but it’s worth it for good health.
If you find that RR is too expensive and still want to do it, you can try 75% kibble and have 1 package last 4 days, that way he still gets some but 1/2 kibble and 1/2 RR is best. If you do only 25% of his diet RR I would mix it in with the Orijen kibble.

Maybe the biting the leg and itch is a habit.

Thanks for asking,
Rusty’s eyes are red for a few days, then a couple days not as red. He doesn’t seem to have much green stuff in them but still irritated eyes. I had a vet check them and she said unless his eyes are red they are not infected. I am gonna use his maintenance eye drops 2x daily and continue to watch him. He still itches at them on the carpet but they look better, not great though.

That’s great Jelly and Petey still play good, must tire Jelly out!

For his weight it sounds like he will be around Rusty’s weight when he is full grown!

He is so adorable! He doesn’t look too long to me from the photos, thanks for sharing the photos, they are so cute. He looks like he loves to cuddle like Rusty😊
God bless.

I'm sorry about Rusty. I hope this isn't something you fight constantly. Bambi had severe skin issues and had lost a good amount of her fur by the time she passed. I didn't know anything about human grade food at that time. The vet couldn't do anything and we took her often to no avail. I hope Jelly turns out to be a little more resiliant. It is so frustrating not to be able to find a solution.

I am pleased with how long the RR is lasting. I am confident he is well fed and happy, with the supplemental Orijen he gets. When we run out of that, I will investigate Acana.

Little shite tinkled in the house again!!! I let him out all of the time!!!! 😭 😭 😭

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
God bless.

I'm sorry about Rusty. I hope this isn't something you fight constantly. Bambi had severe skin issues and had lost a good amount of her fur by the time she passed. I didn't know anything about human grade food at that time. The vet couldn't do anything and we took her often to no avail. I hope Jelly turns out to be a little more resiliant. It is so frustrating not to be able to find a solution.

I am pleased with how long the RR is lasting. I am confident he is well fed and happy, with the supplemental Orijen he gets. When we run out of that, I will investigate Acana.

Little shite tinkled in the house again!!! I let him out all of the time!!!! 😭 😭 😭

Thanks! It’s very frustrating with the health issues, that’s why I HIGHLY recommend keeping him on low carb food(RR is best when raw isn’t a option-RR is great food), and rotate the proteins, and try to keep RR as his main food like you have been doing, unless you absolutely have to give 1/2 kibble(Orijen or Acana) and other 1/2 RR but the more RR the better the health, and preventing new health issues and allergies and inflammation.

If Rusty didn’t have bad allergies, I wouldn’t be dealing with all these eye infections, skin infections and yeast issues! But I’m glad at least the green eye stuff isn’t happening much, hopefully his eyes continue to improve! That’s why he has had 10 eye infections in the past 2 years, especially when pollen is out!

My advice is to continue to maintain the good health with the good diet BEFORE health issues come up, which Rusty came home on not good kibble and health issues came up(same thing for my other 2 dogs), going forward I will start them on RR or raw diet from day 1 of getting the pup and not buy the kibble the breeders have them on, that’s how to keep the good health and prevent new health issues from coming.
I never knew of human grade food or low carb food either, until I had to find something for Rusty.

Are you planning on keeping Jelly on RR then when Orijen is out, it will be RR variety and Acana kibble(not all kibble?)

So Jelly’s ears are cleaner than what they were before, I know you said before you were cleaning them daily or every other day. The ears are cleaner on the RR and Orijen?? Continuing the diet as us, he will have a stronger immune system and will have a much better chance preventing new health issues😊

I would definitely want to maintain their good health thru good diet, than be paying at the vets lots with the health issues, if I knew back then what I know now, I don’t think the health issues would have come up.
We both have been in that situation where health issues come up and the vets are out of options!

Oh no, Jelly is being stubborn today! Did you catch him to spray him?
Hopefully he doesn’t continue to be stubborn like this for much longer!

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks! It’s very frustrating with the health issues, that’s why I HIGHLY recommend keeping him on low carb food(RR is best when raw isn’t a option-RR is great food), and rotate the proteins, and try to keep RR as his main food like you have been doing, unless you absolutely have to give 1/2 kibble(Orijen or Acana) and other 1/2 RR but the more RR the better the health, and preventing new health issues and allergies and inflammation.

If Rusty didn’t have bad allergies, I wouldn’t be dealing with all these eye infections, skin infections and yeast issues! But I’m glad at least the green eye stuff isn’t happening much, hopefully his eyes continue to improve! That’s why he has had 10 eye infections in the past 2 years, especially when pollen is out!

My advice is to continue to maintain the good health with the good diet BEFORE health issues come up, which Rusty came home on not good kibble and health issues came up(same thing for my other 2 dogs), going forward I will start them on RR or raw diet from day 1 of getting the pup and not buy the kibble the breeders have them on, that’s how to keep the good health and prevent new health issues from coming.
I never knew of human grade food or low carb food either, until I had to find something for Rusty.

Are you planning on keeping Jelly on RR then when Orijen is out, it will be RR variety and Acana kibble(not all kibble?)

So Jelly’s ears are cleaner than what they were before, I know you said before you were cleaning them daily or every other day. The ears are cleaner on the RR and Orijen?? Continuing the diet as us, he will have a stronger immune system and will have a much better chance preventing new health issues😊

I would definitely want to maintain their good health thru good diet, than be paying at the vets lots with the health issues, if I knew back then what I know now, I don’t think the health issues would have come up.
We both have been in that situation where health issues come up and the vets are out of options!

Oh no, Jelly is being stubborn today! Did you catch him to spray him?I
Hopefully he doesn’t continue to be stubborn like this for much longer!
I am happy with the RR food, and he loves it, so I plan on feeding him that going forward. We gets that for both of his main meals and Orijen for snacks.

Jelly's ears are much better than when we got him. Right after we brought him home, I could physically see the black wax or whatever it is in his ears, that's how bad it was - and he was only 9.5 weeks old. Last time I cleaned them was a week ago yesterday when he got his first bath, and I didn't get anything from them so they were clear.

Unfortunately, I don't usually catch him when he goes in the house, so I can't spray him. If he displays his tells around me, like sniffing or going behind the loveseat, then I let him out and I'm usually right that he has to go. He has been doing pretty well, but every time I find a spot in the house, its discouraging. I hope he does outgrow his stubbornness. He's a sweet little dog.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I am happy with the RR food, and he loves it, so I plan on feeding him that going forward. We gets that for both of his main meals and Orijen for snacks.

Jelly's ears are much better than when we got him. Right after we brought him home, I could physically see the black wax or whatever it is in his ears, that's how bad it was - and he was only 9.5 weeks old. Last time I cleaned them was a week ago yesterday when he got his first bath, and I didn't get anything from them so they were clear.

Unfortunately, I don't usually catch him when he goes in the house, so I can't spray him. If he displays his tells around me, like sniffing or going behind the loveseat, then I let him out and I'm usually right that he has to go. He has been doing pretty well, but every time I find a spot in the house, its discouraging. I hope he does outgrow his stubbornness. He's a sweet little dog.

That’s awesome your gonna continue RR food, I know you said before you weren’t sure if your gonna keep him on it, that’s why I was curious.

Oh wow that’s great the food improved his ears! It’s really good that they don’t need to be cleaned as often now😊
It’s amazing what good food can do for their health😊

Hopefully he will outgrow the stubborn, they can still get stubborn at times but he seems to be a lot like Rusty and it did improve, hopefully jelly does too!

At least if you do catch him you can spray him, and he will learn. When I am up I always say does anyone need to go outside to all the dogs and Rusty always comes outside to pee! If your up by the kitchen/outside door ask if he needs outside to pee, then maybe when you sit down to relax, there shouldn’t be pee anywhere from him.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome your gonna continue RR food, I know you said before you weren’t sure if your gonna keep him on it, that’s why I was curious.

Oh wow that’s great the food improved his ears! It’s really good that they don’t need to be cleaned as often now😊
It’s amazing what good food can do for their health😊

Hopefully he will outgrow the stubborn, they can still get stubborn at times but he seems to be a lot like Rusty and it did improve, hopefully jelly does too!

At least if you do catch him you can spray him, and he will learn. When I am up I always say does anyone need to go outside to all the dogs and Rusty always comes outside to pee! If your up by the kitchen/outside door ask if he needs outside to pee, then maybe when you sit down to relax, there shouldn’t be pee anywhere from him.
He shouldn't be peeing in the house. I'd say I let them out at least every 90 minutes, so he's got no excuse. If I see him lingering by the door, I let him out, even if he doesn't ring the bell. Little (*&^@#$. 😁 :giggle: 🥰

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He shouldn't be peeing in the house. I'd say I let them out at least every 90 minutes, so he's got no excuse. If I see him lingering by the door, I let him out, even if he doesn't ring the bell. Little (*&^@#$. 😁 :giggle: 🥰

He definitely should not be peeing In the house especially since he is let out every 90 minutes!

Keep me updated 😊

Mavis

Reaction score
He definitely should not be peeing In the house especially since he is let out every 90 minutes!

Keep me updated 😊
I had a great experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. I submitted two claims for appointments that Jelly had for various vaccinations as part of his puppy series. I didn't think anything would be covered because I didn't think vaccines applied, plus both appointments were just over $250 total. The policy has a $250 deductible. Just checked the claim status expecting a denial and they have sent me a check for around $160! I don't understand what was covered, and I didn't think they paid out anything until after the deductible has been met. Anyway, that reimbursement alone pays for more than two months of coverage! I am feeling really good about it. Jelly has another appointment for his last lepto and then two weeks later for his rabies. We'll see if any of those are covered!

Mavis

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of Rusty's whole body (standing) from above? I don't know if Jelly is longer than normal. He seems pretty long to me. His father was long and not a classic looking frenchie, to me. I think he was mixed with something.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I had a great experience with Nationwide Pet Insurance. I submitted two claims for appointments that Jelly had for various vaccinations as part of his puppy series. I didn't think anything would be covered because I didn't think vaccines applied, plus both appointments were just over $250 total. The policy has a $250 deductible. Just checked the claim status expecting a denial and they have sent me a check for around $160! I don't understand what was covered, and I didn't think they paid out anything until after the deductible has been met. Anyway, that reimbursement alone pays for more than two months of coverage! I am feeling really good about it. Jelly has another appointment for his last lepto and then two weeks later for his rabies. We'll see if any of those are covered!

That’s awesome, usually they do the deductible first then anything after that you get reimbursed. Maybe they do things differently than some others?

Keep us updated on how his shots go

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome, usually they do the deductible first then anything after that you get reimbursed. Maybe they do things differently than some others?

Keep us updated on how his shots go
I thought I had to meet the deductible before they would reimburse anything. I was shocked.

So far, he hasn't had any reaction from his shots or microchip.

He has bonded more to my husband than me. 😭 :mad:🥰 I love him so much! He's a little stinker. He don't care about mommy. 😉

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of Rusty's whole body (standing) from above? I don't know if Jelly is longer than normal. He seems pretty long to me. His father was long and not a classic looking frenchie, to me. I think he was mixed with something.

Some Frenchies are longer and some aren’t, Rusty’s mom was very long and not wide(full Frenchie still), but his dad was just like Rusty. Maybe jelly is just a bit longer than the average Frenchie. He looks like a full Frenchie.
1653496130177.jpeg
1653496144911.jpeg

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I thought I had to meet the deductible before they would reimburse anything. I was shocked.

So far, he hasn't had any reaction from his shots or microchip.

He has bonded more to my husband than me. 😭 :mad:🥰 I love him so much! He's a little stinker. He don't care about mommy. 😉

That’s good no reactions from the shots so far, hopefully the rabies goes just as good(that’s what caused Rusty the issue).

Aww hopefully Jelly starts becoming your pup too soon. I know how it feels!

I was Rusty’s favourite but he loves us all and we all love him, but I was his person and he had the bond with me but also my mom. She is his 2nd person, I’m his person(which is what I wanted, my own dog-but I wanted a Frenchie). I do everything for him, with him, feed him 2 out of 3 meals and pay for everything for him.

I have been working for 2 months now at a pet store he loves, he has always come to work with me when I worked at a doggy daycare but I don’t work there I work at a pet store and he can’t come with me, so my mom and dad work from home and Rusty is with my mom when I’m at work and she feeds them dinner.

Now he knows and is mad at me for not being with him. He now is becoming her dog more than usual and me as his second person, doing stuff he has never did before which I trained him not to do(no stairs-we carry him up and NO jumping off the couch) he waits for me to carry him upstairs and he waits for me to put him off/on the couch. He has been running up and down the stairs and jumps off the couch🙁 he thinks that he runs upstairs to see my mom that now he can do everything and not wait!
The no stairs/jumping he knows NOT to do(he is 3 years ) this I made sure he doesn’t do in hopes of preventing IVDD the spine issue! Now he thinks he can do everything and goes to my mom first instead of me☹️

Mavis

Reaction score
Some Frenchies are longer and some aren’t, Rusty’s mom was very long and not wide(full Frenchie still), but his dad was just like Rusty. Maybe jelly is just a bit longer than the average Frenchie. He looks like a full Frenchie.
View attachment 15882
View attachment 15883
I think Rusty has the ideal shape - shorter, thicker back. Jelly is long and skinny. I wish he were more plump. Maybe as he grows. Also, I don't know if his markings are up to breed standards. I will send a picture. From my experience, it's almost impossible to find a frenchie with AKC papers, and I can't imagine what that would cost. Those dogs are probably confined to breeders as breeding stock. Anyway, Jelly is a doll. It will be interesting to see how he grows and fills out - or doesn't.

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s good no reactions from the shots so far, hopefully the rabies goes just as good(that’s what caused Rusty the issue).

Aww hopefully Jelly starts becoming your pup too soon. I know how it feels!

I was Rusty’s favourite but he loves us all and we all love him, but I was his person and he had the bond with me but also my mom. She is his 2nd person, I’m his person(which is what I wanted, my own dog-but I wanted a Frenchie). I do everything for him, with him, feed him 2 out of 3 meals and pay for everything for him.

I have been working for 2 months now at a pet store he loves, he has always come to work with me when I worked at a doggy daycare but I don’t work there I work at a pet store and he can’t come with me, so my mom and dad work from home and Rusty is with my mom when I’m at work and she feeds them dinner.

Now he knows and is mad at me for not being with him. He now is becoming her dog more than usual and me as his second person, doing stuff he has never did before which I trained him not to do(no stairs-we carry him up and NO jumping off the couch) he waits for me to carry him upstairs and he waits for me to put him off/on the couch. He has been running up and down the stairs and jumps off the couch🙁 he thinks that he runs upstairs to see my mom that now he can do everything and not wait!
The no stairs/jumping he knows NOT to do(he is 3 years ) this I made sure he doesn’t do in hopes of preventing IVDD the spine issue! Now he thinks he can do everything and goes to my mom first instead of me☹️
Yeah, I don't know why they attach to one person more than another. I'm sure he actually is more bonded to you but enjoys the novelty of being with your mom the times that he is.

Jelly was bonded to me more at first, but now it has switched to my husband. John feeds him all meals and snacks, naps with the on the bed (they can power sleep for a couple of hours!), and stays out with them for a long time. Also, my husband is in shape and very limber, so he sits on the floor with them or in the grass, which they love. I have bad back issues and can't get up or down, so I don't do these things with them. I still think I am alpha, however, as I "train" him, teach him, and am consistent with him, which my husband does not. He loves my husband but will bite him pretty good occasionally when he is over stimulated and draw blood. To me, that is a sign of no respect. He wouldn't dream of biting me. I allow him to mouth my hand because he knows his limitations, but he has never bitten me after the first week that we had him. I guess I'll take alpha over being seen as a playmate. 😁

Mavis

Reaction score
I wanted to attach a few pictures of Bambi, our frenchie we lost at the end of March. She was the most gorgeous frenchie and the sweetest dog who ever lived. We adopted her as a retired breeder at three after having three litters/c-sections.

Attachments

• Angel face.JPG
    Angel face.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Bambi profile.jpg
    Bambi profile.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I think Rusty has the ideal shape - shorter, thicker back. Jelly is long and skinny. I wish he were more plump. Maybe as he grows. Also, I don't know if his markings are up to breed standards. I will send a picture. From my experience, it's almost impossible to find a frenchie with AKC papers, and I can't imagine what that would cost. Those dogs are probably confined to breeders as breeding stock. Anyway, Jelly is a doll. It will be interesting to see how he grows and fills out - or doesn't.

Yes it’s definitely hard to get a AKC registered Frenchie.

Jelly to me looks like a full Frenchie but long like Rusty’s mom was.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why they attach to one person more than another. I'm sure he actually is more bonded to you but enjoys the novelty of being with your mom the times that he is.

Jelly was bonded to me more at first, but now it has switched to my husband. John feeds him all meals and snacks, naps with the on the bed (they can power sleep for a couple of hours!), and stays out with them for a long time. Also, my husband is in shape and very limber, so he sits on the floor with them or in the grass, which they love. I have bad back issues and can't get up or down, so I don't do these things with them. I still think I am alpha, however, as I "train" him, teach him, and am consistent with him, which my husband does not. He loves my husband but will bite him pretty good occasionally when he is over stimulated and draw blood. To me, that is a sign of no respect. He wouldn't dream of biting me. I allow him to mouth my hand because he knows his limitations, but he has never bitten me after the first week that we had him. I guess I'll take alpha over being seen as a playmate. 😁

Maybe he knows who he can get away with stuff with and knows who he can play rough with. Smart dogs!

They are good family dogs but have the 1 person that’s their Favourite it seems like.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I wanted to attach a few pictures of Bambi, our frenchie we lost at the end of March. She was the most gorgeous frenchie and the sweetest dog who ever lived. We adopted her as a retired breeder at three after having three litters/c-sections.
She is absolutely adorable! Looks like she was a very sweet girl😊