Rusty- help please!!

Mavis

Reaction score
Well it’s not like he doesn’t want to pick Rusty up, we are all worried and extra careful of how we pick him up, but of course we continue to pick him up, except for my dad, but that doesn’t mean he won’t eventually.

Thank you so much for your support/thoughts and input!
I really appreciate it.
I just meant I felt bad that your dad can't love on him like he might want to for fear of hurting Rusty. 😢

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I just meant I felt bad that your dad can't love on him like he might want to for fear of hurting Rusty. 😢

I know, it’s definitely sad.☹️
When he wants to hug Rusty he asks me to pick him up and hold Rusty for him, at least he still gets his grandpa hugs from my dad😊

How do you pick Petey up???

I know that’s probably a odd question but I am also worried about hurting him when I pick him up.

I always lift him up from underneath, and now I’m even more careful but should I be holding him straight?? I do and now even more supporting his back end but there would be the odd time he will moan(he has been doing this for a while now-off and on, sometimes he might not do it for a week and sometimes he might do it for a couple days straight when being picked up no matter how careful I am).

We just got bloodwork back and urine check and all is good thankfully!!
I’m very glad there is no issues in bloodwork!

I seen someone yesterday that had their Frenchie have IVDD surgery and couldn’t use the back legs, that’s my biggest fear/concern with Rusty.

I will keep you updated on what my regular vet says on Tuesday.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and thoughts to respond to my thread, which means a lot to me.

Mavis

Reaction score
I know, it’s definitely sad.☹️
When he wants to hug Rusty he asks me to pick him up and hold Rusty for him, at least he still gets his grandpa hugs from my dad😊

How do you pick Petey up???

I know that’s probably a odd question but I am also worried about hurting him when I pick him up.

I always lift him up from underneath, and now I’m even more careful but should I be holding him straight?? I do and now even more supporting his back end but there would be the odd time he will moan(he has been doing this for a while now-off and on, sometimes he might not do it for a week and sometimes he might do it for a couple days straight when being picked up no matter how careful I am).

We just got bloodwork back and urine check and all is good thankfully!!
I’m very glad there is no issues in bloodwork!

I seen someone yesterday that had their Frenchie have IVDD surgery and couldn’t use the back legs, that’s my biggest fear/concern with Rusty.

I will keep you updated on what my regular vet says on Tuesday.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and thoughts to respond to my thread, which means a lot to me.
I'm so glad your dad still gets to hold Rusty. :cry:

We pick Petey up with one hand on his chest between his legs and the other under his back legs or supporting his waist. He only weighs 11 lbs., so he's just a little sprite and easy to lift. I don't think it puts much strain on anything.

So happy Rusty's bloodwork was clear. That is a relief.

I am happy to offer anything I can, even if it's just encouragement. I have always enjoyed this forum and another I was on years ago (a doberman forum). No one understands quite the same as someone who loves their pets as dearly as we do, and how wonderful it is to get advice on training, health issues, behavior, etc.

Extra kissies to Rusty!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm so glad your dad still gets to hold Rusty. :cry:

We pick Petey up with one hand on his chest between his legs and the other under his back legs or supporting his waist. He only weighs 11 lbs., so he's just a little sprite and easy to lift. I don't think it puts much strain on anything.

So happy Rusty's bloodwork was clear. That is a relief.

I am happy to offer anything I can, even if it's just encouragement. I have always enjoyed this forum and another I was on years ago (a doberman forum). No one understands quite the same as someone who loves their pets as dearly as we do, and how wonderful it is to get advice on training, health issues, behavior, etc.

Extra kissies to Rusty!

I will try picking him up the way you do with Petey, we all just worry about his back.

it is definitely a relief his bloodwork and grown cane back good, I was really worried about that.

That’s awesome, that’s what I have thought, if I can give some advice or encouragement.
I enjoy this forum too!
I totally agree, no one understands quite the same as someone who loves their pet dearly like we do!

Mavis

Reaction score
I will try picking him up the way you do with Petey, we all just worry about his back.

it is definitely a relief his bloodwork and grown cane back good, I was really worried about that.

That’s awesome, that’s what I have thought, if I can give some advice or encouragement.
I enjoy this forum too!
I totally agree, no one understands quite the same as someone who loves their pet dearly like we do!
My brother and SIL recently came over to visit and see Jelly for the first time. They are not dog or pet people and they appreciate a well behaved dog. Of course, we think both of our dogs are adorable and really nothing they do bothers us. I could tell they were not enamored of Jelly because he was standing on his hind legs asking to be picked up, all over their laps when he got on the couch, licking (not obnoxious, I thought), etc. Frenchies are not particularly cute to them, either. Sometimes Bambi would drool if we had food out, and they thought that was disgusting. Kind of a buzz kill when they were here because I was so proud of Jelly, but they weren't feeling it - and he was being so friendly, sweet and affectionate. We pet lovers have to stick together.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My brother and SIL recently came over to visit and see Jelly for the first time. They are not dog or pet people and they appreciate a well behaved dog. Of course, we think both of our dogs are adorable and really nothing they do bothers us. I could tell they were not enamored of Jelly because he was standing on his hind legs asking to be picked up, all over their laps when he got on the couch, licking (not obnoxious, I thought), etc. Frenchies are not particularly cute to them, either. Sometimes Bambi would drool if we had food out, and they thought that was disgusting. Kind of a buzz kill when they were here because I was so proud of Jelly, but they weren't feeling it - and he was being so friendly, sweet and affectionate. We pet lovers have to stick together.

Oh my! I know how frustrating and disappointing that is when family or friends come over and they don’t like dogs, i find it’s like no matter how well behaved the dogs are and how cute they are, the not pet people don’t like them and think they are annoying no matter how well behaved the dogs are.
That’s terrible, since they met Jelly for the first time, they should have been nicer to Jelly and Petey and you, but people can just be so rude.

It’s very disappointing when people like that come over and you do good to train him and Jelly is just excited to see new people and you know jelly is cute(he is adorable) but the not pet people don’t care how well behaved the dogs are and just are not nice.

Definitely, we pet lovers have to stick together!

Mavis

Reaction score
Oh my! I know how frustrating and disappointing that is when family or friends come over and they don’t like dogs, i find it’s like no matter how well behaved the dogs are and how cute they are, the not pet people don’t like them and think they are annoying no matter how well behaved the dogs are.
That’s terrible, since they met Jelly for the first time, they should have been nicer to Jelly and Petey and you, but people can just be so rude.

It’s very disappointing when people like that come over and you do good to train him and Jelly is just excited to see new people and you know jelly is cute(he is adorable) but the not pet people don’t care how well behaved the dogs are and just are not nice.

Definitely, we pet lovers have to stick together!
Ha, ha! Believe me, it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't give two crumbs about what they think. To me, they are the ones missing out. There is nothing like the unconditional love of a dog and what a bright focus they provide to every day!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Ha, ha! Believe me, it didn't bother me in the slightest. I don't give two crumbs about what they think. To me, they are the ones missing out. There is nothing like the unconditional love of a dog and what a bright focus they provide to every day!

They definitely are missing out!!

It was the first day of actual sun yesterday(we have had basically no spring weather) and it was warm yesterday, Rusty loves the sun, I had to share these photos!

I bathed Rusty yesterday and to towel dry him good, it worries me to dry him without potentially hurting his back, but he dried in the sun better after 😊

The bottom 2 photos is him saying I want to go upstairs and play with my mom, as soon as someone says ‘grandma time’ he goes to the stairs cause he plays with her upstairs every night, no one needs to say anything he just waits there. But now cause of his back, the stairs is always blocked off.
He is so confused as to why he can’t jump upfront in the car, and has to stay in his seat or on my lap.
Rusty wanted me to put him up on the chair on the deck in the sun😊
Does Jelly like the sun too?

Did you end up seeing how much Jely weighs?
1656259577391.jpeg
1656259591303.jpeg
1656259673249.jpeg
1656259684681.jpeg

Attachments

• 1656259603421.jpeg
    1656259603421.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

Mavis

Reaction score
They definitely are missing out!!

It was the first day of actual sun yesterday(we have had basically no spring weather) and it was warm yesterday, Rusty loves the sun, I had to share these photos!

I bathed Rusty yesterday and to towel dry him good, it worries me to dry him without potentially hurting his back, but he dried in the sun better after 😊

The bottom 2 photos is him saying I want to go upstairs and play with my mom, as soon as someone says ‘grandma time’ he goes to the stairs cause he plays with her upstairs every night, no one needs to say anything he just waits there. But now cause of his back, the stairs is always blocked off.
He is so confused as to why he can’t jump upfront in the car, and has to stay in his seat or on my lap.
Rusty wanted me to put him up on the chair on the deck in the sun😊
Does Jelly like the sun too?

Did you end up seeing how much Jely weighs?
View attachment 15928
View attachment 15929
View attachment 15931
View attachment 15932
OMG, he has the cutest little body!!! Perfect to me! I love him. 😭 I just love it when their ears are to the side - adorable!!!!!

We gave Jelly a bath today. Haven't done this yet because it is warm here, although whenever we would bathe Bambi, I would put cotton balls in her ears and then use the blow dryer on her (on low, which is still warm), until she was almost completely dry. Could you try that when the weather is cool? I also clipped Jelly's nails and he only squirmed a little, just from being restrained, not from any bad association with nail clipping. I didn't hit any quicks.

John weighed him on Friday. He is 14.4 lbs., which is less than I thought. He feels like a chunk. I'm sure he'd look totally fine even if he were 1.5-2 lbs. over, as he is on the leaner side (but at a good weight). He loves the sun and will lay on the deck on a scorching hot day without any labored breathing. He knows enough to go in the shade when he's too hot and also get a drink.

PS, love your floors. We have a medium dark brown, which is also beautiful but makes the house darker than I'd like. I wish I had done light floors. Such problems! :rolleyes:

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, he has the cutest little body!!! Perfect to me! I love him. 😭 I just love it when their ears are to the side - adorable!!!!!

We gave Jelly a bath today. Haven't done this yet because it is warm here, although whenever we would bathe Bambi, I would put cotton balls in her ears and then use the blow dryer on her (on low, which is still warm), until she was almost completely dry. Could you try that when the weather is cool? I also clipped Jelly's nails and he only squirmed a little, just from being restrained, not from any bad association with nail clipping. I didn't hit any quicks.

John weighed him on Friday. He is 14.4 lbs., which is less than I thought. He feels like a chunk. I'm sure he'd look totally fine even if he were 1.5-2 lbs. over, as he is on the leaner side (but at a good weight). He loves the sun and will lay on the deck on a scorching hot day without any labored breathing. He knows enough to go in the shade when he's too hot and also get a drink.

PS, love your floors. We have a medium dark brown, which is also beautiful but makes the house darker than I'd like. I wish I had done light floors. Such problems! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

That’s great Jelly had a bath and nail trim! Seems like you and Jelly are getting more comfortable with the nail trim. That’s awesome!

Do you find the baths are helping Jelly and his itchy spots?? How are his allergies and itchy???
Is he still on RR and Orijen kibble snacks? Still rotating proteins thru RR?

Rusty is scared of the blow dryer unfortunately , if it gets close to him he starts barking and screaming at it and gets worked up over it.
I don’t think that’s an option as I don’t want to stress him out.
That would probably be good if he wasn’t scared of it.

Jelly sounds like he will be a small Frenchie like Rusty, Rusty was around 14-15 pounds at that age, and he is only 22 lb now.

At least Jelly knows when it’s time to go lay in the shade and get some water, Rusty too does that usually, just goes inside or in shade.
They sure love the sun!
If it’s hot and he wants to lay in the sun for a little bit, I put doggy sunscreen spray on him, so he doesn’t get a sunburn.

Thanks, we chose the light floor colour cause My other 2 dogs shed SO much and it doesn’t show as bad on this colour floor but thankfully Rusty doesn’t shed as bad and his fur is short hair unlike my other dogs(their fur comes out in clumps).

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks!

That’s great Jelly had a bath and nail trim! Seems like you and Jelly are getting more comfortable with the nail trim. That’s awesome!

Do you find the baths are helping Jelly and his itchy spots?? How are his allergies and itchy???
Is he still on RR and Orijen kibble snacks? Still rotating proteins thru RR?

Rusty is scared of the blow dryer unfortunately , if it gets close to him he starts barking and screaming at it and gets worked up over it.
I don’t think that’s an option as I don’t want to stress him out.
That would probably be good if he wasn’t scared of it.

Jelly sounds like he will be a small Frenchie like Rusty, Rusty was around 14-15 pounds at that age, and he is only 22 lb now.

At least Jelly knows when it’s time to go lay in the shade and get some water, Rusty too does that usually, just goes inside or in shade.
They sure love the sun!
If it’s hot and he wants to lay in the sun for a little bit, I put doggy sunscreen spray on him, so he doesn’t get a sunburn.

Thanks, we chose the light floor colour cause My other 2 dogs shed SO much and it doesn’t show as bad on this colour floor but thankfully Rusty doesn’t shed as bad and his fur is short hair unlike my other dogs(their fur comes out in clumps).
I hope Jelly turns out small. We'll see.

He is still on the RR and Orijen. I rotate between turkey, pork and beef. He loves his baths and at this point, doesn't seem to be bothered by allergies. He rarely chews or itches and I would consider him pretty much allergy free (fingers crossed that this continues!).

I haven't tried the blow dryer on Jelly yet, but should introduce it to prepare for colder weather when he won't be able to go outside to finish drying. Anything I introduce or that comes up (like the vacuum, blender, fireworks, thunder and lightning, etc.), I make a concerted effort to remain chill, not talk to him and just proceed as if everything is normal. (I'm not implying that you aren't, or instilling fear in Rusty. A lot of dogs don't like loud noises.) When Bambi was alive, whenever I would use the blender or hand mixer, I would let her and Petey lick the spoon when I was done (it was usually something really good). They would sit and wait for me to finish because they knew a treat was coming.

One question: when do dogs start puberty? His testes are still tiny and not very visible from the back when he stands. I will wait as long as possible to get him neutered, however, I am wondering when to expect them getting bigger. He is 21 weeks today.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

He is still on the RR and Orijen. I rotate between turkey, pork and beef. He loves his baths and at this point, doesn't seem to be bothered by allergies. He rarely chews or itches and I would consider him pretty much allergy free (fingers crossed that this continues!).

I haven't tried the blow dryer on Jelly yet, but should introduce it to prepare for colder weather when he won't be able to go outside to finish drying. Anything I introduce or that comes up (like the vacuum, blender, fireworks, thunder and lightning, etc.), I make a concerted effort to remain chill, not talk to him and just proceed as if everything is normal. (I'm not implying that you aren't, or instilling fear in Rusty. A lot of dogs don't like loud noises.) When Bambi was alive, whenever I would use the blender or hand mixer, I would let her and Petey lick the spoon when I was done (it was usually something really good). They would sit and wait for me to finish because they knew a treat was coming.

One question: when do dogs start puberty? His testes are still tiny and not very visible from the back when he stands. I will wait as long as possible to get him neutered, however, I am wondering when to expect them getting bigger. He is 21 weeks today.

That’s great he is still doing good on the healthy food and your rotating proteins.
That’s awesome the itching he was doing before has stopped.

Rusty isn’t scared of fireworks unless they are very loud and close then he just looks like what was that, but not scared.

However with the vacuum, from day 1 of having him, he thinks the vacuum is a toy and chases it and tries to jump on the furniture while I’m vacuuming the couch, when he can’t reach he get himself worked up and screams and barks very loud and then when he can reach it he pulls on it with his teeth(not aggressive but he tries to play with it), I hold the spray bottle when I vacuum and if he starts going crazy, I spray him, last time I did that he peed next to me cause he was mad☹️ That was the only time he peed in the house since being house trained, they definitely can be stubborn at times. But if he knows I have the spray bottle and I let him out to pee before I start vacuuming then he brings me toys and he wants me to throw the ball for him or play tug o war while I am vacuuming, if I don’t he bites the vacuum☹️ And I did put him in his crate before, and all he does is scream and he gets himself so worked up because he wants to play, I can’t have him scream because my parents work from home and are always on the phone calls. It’s not like he doesn’t like the crate it’s because he wants the vacuum and to play.
Now I’m trying to not vacuum when Rusty is on the same floor as I worry about him trying to jump at the vacuum and him hurt his back more.

When I used to let him stay upstairs when I blow dry my hair, he has always screamed, but I have taught him not to scream and I won’t use the blow dryer near him. He just tries to bite at it and bark cause he thinks its a toy sometimes and sometimes he is scared of it, I know that sounds strange but even if I try to play ball with him, he doesn’t want that he wants to bark still at it.

I’m always calm when vacuuming or blow drying my hair, hoping it will make Rusty calm, but that doesn’t work for him☹️.

All other noises don’t bother him.

That’s a good idea with the blender, I used to give them peanut butter after I used the blender to make dog treats.

Rusty started acting different at 5 months old, when he was 6 months old he started humping more, our vet that neutered him said it was perfect timing as he was just getting into that mindset.
But I wouldn’t have made the appointment for 6 months old, if I got another dog I would wait longer before neutering, if possible(sometimes you can’t wait for behaviour reasons).
He should be getting there anytime, or around 6 months, some dogs might take longer but I have only heard of 1 dog, my neighbors Frenchie is 8 months old and she wants to book him in for neuter very soon as he is very ‘rude’ with the other dog.

Rusty was the first male dog I have had so other than based off of Rusty, and a couple other dogs I know, I would say around 6-8 months of age, might be sooner It just depends on the dog.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

Every time pollen hits his ear, that spot got itchy now it’s a very rough irritated skin and it’s red(the dark rough looking spot toward the bottom of his ear-kind of where his ear bends). This happened last year when pollen was bad but it went away with some balm, which it’s not going away now and it’s itchy! It’s that exact same spot as last time, strange!

I’m glad he sees my regular vet tomorrow, i will ask her to check that irritated skin on his ear!

I will keep you posted on what the vet thinks it is tomorrow and if she also thinks it’s IVDD.
This vet is the one he plays with, she has the Frenchies.

Wish Rusty luck😊
1656366304625.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s great he is still doing good on the healthy food and your rotating proteins.
That’s awesome the itching he was doing before has stopped.

Rusty isn’t scared of fireworks unless they are very loud and close then he just looks like what was that, but not scared.

However with the vacuum, from day 1 of having him, he thinks the vacuum is a toy and chases it and tries to jump on the furniture while I’m vacuuming the couch, when he can’t reach he get himself worked up and screams and barks very loud and then when he can reach it he pulls on it with his teeth(not aggressive but he tries to play with it), I hold the spray bottle when I vacuum and if he starts going crazy, I spray him, last time I did that he peed next to me cause he was mad☹️ That was the only time he peed in the house since being house trained, they definitely can be stubborn at times. But if he knows I have the spray bottle and I let him out to pee before I start vacuuming then he brings me toys and he wants me to throw the ball for him or play tug o war while I am vacuuming, if I don’t he bites the vacuum☹️ And I did put him in his crate before, and all he does is scream and he gets himself so worked up because he wants to play, I can’t have him scream because my parents work from home and are always on the phone calls. It’s not like he doesn’t like the crate it’s because he wants the vacuum and to play.
Now I’m trying to not vacuum when Rusty is on the same floor as I worry about him trying to jump at the vacuum and him hurt his back more.

When I used to let him stay upstairs when I blow dry my hair, he has always screamed, but I have taught him not to scream and I won’t use the blow dryer near him. He just tries to bite at it and bark cause he thinks its a toy sometimes and sometimes he is scared of it, I know that sounds strange but even if I try to play ball with him, he doesn’t want that he wants to bark still at it.

I’m always calm when vacuuming or blow drying my hair, hoping it will make Rusty calm, but that doesn’t work for him☹️.

All other noises don’t bother him.

That’s a good idea with the blender, I used to give them peanut butter after I used the blender to make dog treats.

Rusty started acting different at 5 months old, when he was 6 months old he started humping more, our vet that neutered him said it was perfect timing as he was just getting into that mindset.
But I wouldn’t have made the appointment for 6 months old, if I got another dog I would wait longer before neutering, if possible(sometimes you can’t wait for behaviour reasons).
He should be getting there anytime, or around 6 months, some dogs might take longer but I have only heard of 1 dog, my neighbors Frenchie is 8 months old and she wants to book him in for neuter very soon as he is very ‘rude’ with the other dog.

Rusty was the first male dog I have had so other than based off of Rusty, and a couple other dogs I know, I would say around 6-8 months of age, might be sooner It just depends on the dog.
Rusty sounds so cute! Mr. Personality!

So far, Jelly isn't acting any different. He has never humped (yet), and still plays hard but nicely. Lots of mouthing (Petey, too), but no actual biting. Will remain observant for any changes.

Mavis

Reaction score
Every time pollen hits his ear, that spot got itchy now it’s a very rough irritated skin and it’s red(the dark rough looking spot toward the bottom of his ear-kind of where his ear bends). This happened last year when pollen was bad but it went away with some balm, which it’s not going away now and it’s itchy! It’s that exact same spot as last time, strange!

I’m glad he sees my regular vet tomorrow, i will ask her to check that irritated skin on his ear!

I will keep you posted on what the vet thinks it is tomorrow and if she also thinks it’s IVDD.
This vet is the one he plays with, she has the Frenchies.

Wish Rusty luck😊
View attachment 15933
Good luck! I hope you get good news or that Rusty's back issue is mild.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty sounds so cute! Mr. Personality!

So far, Jelly isn't acting any different. He has never humped (yet), and still plays hard but nicely. Lots of mouthing (Petey, too), but no actual biting. Will remain observant for any changes.

Yes he sure has quite the personality😊

I’m sure Jelly has quite the personality too!

That’s great Jelly isn’t acting any different and hopefully he continues to not hump Petey, he probably knows to be gentle with Petey.
When are you hoping to neuter him?

It probably helps he isn’t around any other dogs besides Petey, When I worked at a doggy daycare, Rusty always came to work and got to play and also there were ‘rude’ dogs there that were very humpy and aggressive so he was doing the same thing and started doing that at home to my other 2 dogs, that was 2.5 years ago and Rusty was only 5 months old when he started doing that, which I think if he didn’t come to work, he likely didn’t need the neuter
@ 6 months of age and might have been able to wait longer before neutering him.

Thankfully Rusty still doesn’t mark, or lift his leg and pee on the plants. He has never marked or lifted his leg.

Hopefully Jelly is the same and doesn’t mark!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Good luck! I hope you get good news or that Rusty's back issue is mild.

Just got back from our regular vet.

She doesn’t actually know 100% what it is, she thinks it could have been a seizure but since the screaming only lasted 30 seconds and him screaming before the shaking and everything, she checked his back, he didn’t move or make any noises as if he was sore which is why she thought possibly a seizure.

This is very strange cause I told her he was very sore in the one spot that the other vet checked last week and today it’s not bothering him.

Is this normal if it is IVDD, during a flare he is sore, then a week later it’s not sore???
Are they only sore during a flare, then a week later, no pain??
Is Petey only sore when he has a flare and not sore when he isn’t going thru a flare? @Mavis

Does Jax only seem sore when he goes thru a flare, then he is not sore a week later?? @Cbrugs

That’s what has our regular vet unsure.
She said to watch him and try to record it if he has another episode and send to them.

I really was hoping one of them would be ruled out so we have an idea of what we are dealing with.

If it continues, then to send him to neurologist. Even if it’s seizure or IVDD, neurologist is the next step if any more episodes happen.
I really hope he never has to have an episode again!

The regular vet we seen today, one of her daughter’s Frenchie, can no longer walk and the back legs are dragging, and it’s IVDD, she is hoping it’s a seizure Rusty had which I am hoping it is too, but it wouldn’t explain some of the stuff he does and if she thinks it’s a seizure, I wish we could actually rule out any back problems like IVDD and he can continue to be picked up by my dad, and we wouldn’t have to be worried as much as we are now.

She said it wouldn’t hurt to do laser therapy, I asked her in case it’s IVDD, maybe we caught it early and can keep it from happening again with Laser treatment. She said if he had a seizure instead, it’s still safe to try the laser therapy on his back.

I’m not sure, I am still very worried about it being IVDD, even since he isn’t sore today.
But I am also worried it could have possibly been a seizure.

But based on the little things he does, it concerns me that his moaning sometimes when I pick him up is from being sore back, which I mentioned he moans sometimes when being picked up.

Well I have heard CBD oil being good for seizures too and pain(I just was reading an article today), which I have been giving him since last vet he saw said give metacam for pain and inflammation(I didn’t give that, I gave CBD oil instead), so hopefully it helps whatever is going on whether a seizure or IVDD.

Rusty loves playing with this vet! He was barking cause he was so excited and when he was on the table, he was licking her ear a few times and playing with her(he likes to paw her hand and climb on her), she is great with Frenchies, she has 2 of them at home!

Last edited:

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes he sure has quite the personality😊

I’m sure Jelly has quite the personality too!

That’s great Jelly isn’t acting any different and hopefully he continues to not hump Petey, he probably knows to be gentle with Petey.
When are you hoping to neuter him?

It probably helps he isn’t around any other dogs besides Petey, When I worked at a doggy daycare, Rusty always came to work and got to play and also there were ‘rude’ dogs there that were very humpy and aggressive so he was doing the same thing and started doing that at home to my other 2 dogs, that was 2.5 years ago and Rusty was only 5 months old when he started doing that, which I think if he didn’t come to work, he likely didn’t need the neuter
@ 6 months of age and might have been able to wait longer before neutering him.

Thankfully Rusty still doesn’t mark, or lift his leg and pee on the plants. He has never marked or lifted his leg.

Hopefully Jelly is the same and doesn’t mark!
I'd like to go as long as possible before neutering Jelly. We will wait and see as he starts to enter puberty. I don't think he is quite there yet because his behavior hasn't changed at all. I read that contrary to popular belief, not neutering does not cause more aggressive behavior and that neutering too young may lead to fear-based behaviors and lack of confidence. I know as far as their physical development it is better to wait.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'd like to go as long as possible before neutering Jelly. We will wait and see as he starts to enter puberty. I don't think he is quite there yet because his behavior hasn't changed at all. I read that contrary to popular belief, not neutering does not cause more aggressive behavior and that neutering too young may lead to fear-based behaviors and lack of confidence. I know as far as their physical development it is better to wait.

Definitely go as long as possible!

I didnt read all that but that doesn’t surprise me.
I wasn’t saying he would become aggressive from not neutering.

I gave a Rusty’s vet update last night, did you see it????? I had a few questions for you.

Mavis

Reaction score
Definitely go as long as possible!

I didnt read all that but that doesn’t surprise me.
I wasn’t saying he would become aggressive from not neutering.

I gave a Rusty’s vet update last night, did you see it????? I had a few questions for you.
I didn't see Rusty's update! Will search now.

🆕 Latest posts