Help! My frenchie is 11 months old & still has potty training issues!!! What can I do

dmhouston

Reaction score
My sweet Max our 11 month old french bulldog still has issues with potty training amongst other things. I take him out often but he does not seem to get it. He will go out and pee often but he will hardly poop outside. He will pee outside then come in and poop about 20 to 30 min later sometimes but not every time. He has about ruined our carpet from peeing everywhere. My husband is so upset and I am irritated but i know he is not doing it on purpose. He will not go in his kennel or if I am watching him but he will sneak away & then I find it. UGGG! I just do not know what to do.... I have taken him out every thirty minutes and taken the poop outside and shown him where it goes but he still does not get it. He likes to go in my craft room and since I keep the door closed every once in while he will scratch on the door so I take him out but then nothing happens but he might go pee.

HELP!!!!!!
Love my Maxi!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
So sorry you are having this issue with Max, I would keep him crated and just take him out of his crate when you can watch him all of the time, or take him outside. You need to get your carpet professionally cleaned with a product that removes urine odor, because when he smells urine he figures it is okay to pee there. His bladder should be big enough to make it 6-8 hours without peeing. Good luck. You may need to get some ear plugs so you don't hear him whine while he is crated!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] has given you some excellent info. Some are very hard to potty train and some just get it right away. I hope he comes around soon.

eeturk

Reaction score
What worked for us was walking him on a leash until he had emptied out completely. Mine could not be trusted to empty himself in the yard. Now that he's potty trained he's fine, but just thinking he'd get it did not work. I say crate when you aren't there and walk on a leash until he has no potty left. Then once he "gets" it, you can go back to letting him out to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry you are having this issue with Max, I would keep him crated and just take him out of his crate when you can watch him all of the time, or take him outside. You need to get your carpet professionally cleaned with a product that removes urine odor, because when he smells urine he figures it is okay to pee there. His bladder should be big enough to make it 6-8 hours without peeing. Good luck. You may need to get some ear plugs so you don't hear him whine while he is crated!

great advice.

Not to scare you, but it took us 2 full years to get Cheli on the program.