Herniated disc

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with issues with Jax over the past week with him being in pain and trembling. Treatment started conservatively of three different medications and bed rest. His vet said if there was no improvement by Monday, we'd look at next steps. Well, yesterday things were really bad and he was in pain almost all day so I took him to the ER. They kept him last night, got him hooked on an IV and kept him comfortable. Blood work was fine, X-ray showed dried discs but nothing else. He had an MRI this morning which showed a herniated disc in his neck. He will have surgery tomorrow to repair and if all goes well, he'll be home on Wednesday.

The doctor told me he has his own fan club over there but boy, do I miss that little dude! It's so different at home without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Oh, Man, Citty I know exactly what you are going through. We're sending hugs and prayers that the surgery goes well and Jax heals fast. :heart:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, Man, Citty I know exactly what you are going through. We're sending hugs and prayers that the surgery goes well and Jax heals fast. :heart:

Thanks Alice! I immediately thought of you and Buster as he just had TWO knee surgeries. They said recovery will be 4-6 weeks but that the first 2 weeks will be the most important with strict crate rest.

It is quite stressful but I'm glad we know what we're dealing with. Now just need to get through another round of anesthesia.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Thanks Alice! I immediately thought of you and Buster as he just had TWO knee surgeries. They said recovery will be 4-6 weeks but that the first 2 weeks will be the most important with strict crate rest.

It is quite stressful but I'm glad we know what we're dealing with. Now just need to get through another round of anesthesia.

They are right about that first 2 weeks with strict crate rest to let the healing begin. It doesn't seem like it while going through it, but the time does go pretty fast. We are 2 days away from completing week 3, with 3 more to go. Hang in there Jax, pretty soon you'll feel so much better!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Prayers, positive thoughts and lots of hugs for you!

Happy you know and have answers for why he is in pain-- keep us posted and we'll continue to pray

lynnlew1

Reaction score
Oh poor baby[emoji17]I hope he's doing well. Prayers for your fur baby[emoji1317]

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Awww poor Jax!!! I'm glad you figured out what was wrong and there's a plan to get it fixed. Please keep up updated!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Oh no, poor Jax! Hope all goes well and sending healing vibes your way! So hard to see them in pain:(

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax made it out of surgery and it went well! We'll get to visit him tomorrow and he should be home on Wednesday.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax made it out of surgery and it went well! We'll get to visit him tomorrow and he should be home on Wednesday.

:jump: So happy to hear he is dine and doing well! Continued prayers fir a good recovery

blushy

Reaction score
Glad to see surgery went well ❤️

Mavis

Reaction score
Good luck; I hope soon this will all be a distant memory and he will be his usual self. It's always good when everyone at the vet is in love. I think it's easy for them to give extra special care, which is a great feeling.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
We get to go see Jax tonight! I haven't seen him since Saturday at 530 pm when I took him to the ER.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
We get to go see Jax tonight! I haven't seen him since Saturday at 530 pm when I took him to the ER.

Fantastic!! Is he coming home today or are you just visiting?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a visit. If all goes well, he will be able to come home tomorrow afternoon.

How is he doing? And, how much did you cry when you left? [emoji847]

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How is he doing? And, how much did you cry when you left? [emoji847]

He was excited to see us, laid down and gave the belly for some rubs. They said he's doing g really good considering he just had surgery 24 hours ago. We only stayed for 15 minutes and he kept dosing off as he's still sedated somewhat. I was so scared to touch him cause I didn't want to hurt him...they went in through his neck!

I'm so nervous to bring him home! [MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] got any surgery aftercare tips for me? I have a crate and an ex pen and a 5 month old bulldog puppy who won't understand he has to stay away from his brother.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] we are keeping our boys in opposite ends of the house. Ruggles sometimes acts like he is being punished, but we give him plenty of attention and daily early morning walks. Follow the Doc's post op instructions, keeping Jax quiet and calm that first 2 weeks is so important. I was very stressed about Buster but really these guys are not fragile. Buster went 5 days without pooping but he wouldn't eat so that explains it. I finally got him to eat Gerber little hot dogs that come in a jar. He did drink plenty of water. Jax will be fine, it just takes time.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] we are keeping our boys in opposite ends of the house. Ruggles sometimes acts like he is being punished, but we give him plenty of attention and daily early morning walks. Follow the Doc's post op instructions, keeping Jax quiet and calm that first 2 weeks is so important. I was very stressed about Buster but really these guys are not fragile. Buster went 5 days without pooping but he wouldn't eat so that explains it. I finally got him to eat Gerber little hot dogs that come in a jar. He did drink plenty of water. Jax will be fine, it just takes time.

I'm going from one stress to another! I will definitely send Louie to daycare a couple times a week to keep him entertained and they will just have to stay separated. It's so hard because they just do not understand.

I think I am so nervous because Jax is not crate trained but if any of the meds they send him home with make him sleepy, that might help. And he has been in a kennel at the hospital since Saturday so maybe that will have helped adjusted him to one. And you are right, these guys are not fragile. I just want to make sure I do whatever needs to be done and he has a smooth recovery. I just wish I could snap my fingers and make it all better.

🆕 Latest posts