Herniated disc

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I'm going from one stress to another! I will definitely send Louie to daycare a couple times a week to keep him entertained and they will just have to stay separated. It's so hard because they just do not understand.

I think I am so nervous because Jax is not crate trained but if any of the meds they send him home with make him sleepy, that might help. And he has been in a kennel at the hospital since Saturday so maybe that will have helped adjusted him to one. And you are right, these guys are not fragile. I just want to make sure I do whatever needs to be done and he has a smooth recovery. I just wish I could snap my fingers and make it all better.

Citty, you will be an awesome caregiver. It does take a day or 2 for the effect of the drugs they gave him in the hospital to wear off. The pain meds upset Buster's stomach and it was a pain trying to get him to take them so we gave up on them. The prilosec and the anti-inflamatory were the important ones and we did get those down him. Jax will feel punk and not want to be active for a few days. We kept Buster on leash when he was out of his crate that first 2 weeks.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Citty, you will be an awesome caregiver. It does take a day or 2 for the effect of the drugs they gave him in the hospital to wear off. The pain meds upset Buster's stomach and it was a pain trying to get him to take them so we gave up on them. The prilosec and the anti-inflamatory were the important ones and we did get those down him. Jax will feel punk and not want to be active for a few days. We kept Buster on leash when he was out of his crate that first 2 weeks.

I talked to the doctor and they are sending him home with 4 drugs. An anti-flammatory, Gabapentin, Codeine and an mild sedative.

He will definitely be on a leash when taken out to potty and we will carry him back and forth. I am going to try and keep in in the crate as much as possible but if he does want to come out for a bit, a leash will be a good idea.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I talked to the doctor and they are sending him home with 4 drugs. An anti-flammatory, Gabapentin, Codeine and an mild sedative.

He will definitely be on a leash when taken out to potty and we will carry him back and forth. I am going to try and keep in in the crate as much as possible but if he does want to come out for a bit, a leash will be a good idea.

Good luck with Jax's recovery. Maybe a special chew in the crate will help him like it better too. Poor guy. I'm glad he's doing well.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with Jax's recovery. Maybe a special chew in the crate will help him like it better too. Poor guy. I'm glad he's doing well.

Funny you should say that. I am going to ask when we pick him up if he can have a chew in the crate with him. If so, I am going to pick him up a marrow bone!

blushy

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I am going to ask when we pick him up if he can have a chew in the crate with him. If so, I am going to pick him up a marrow bone!

When Titan has episodes with his back, they say strictly no chews :(

With neck surgery he might be restricted on that for the "strict rest" period.

I'm glad his surgery went well. ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
When Titan has episodes with his back, they say strictly no chews :(

With neck surgery he might be restricted on that for the "strict rest" period.

I'm glad his surgery went well. ❤️

Yup, they said no chews. What is the issue with Titan's back?

I will just say right now that this is not fun and I hope no one else has to go through this. I feel like I should do public speaking events to Frenchie owners telling them of my experience lol. I can't help but think, well if I didn't let him do this or do that this wouldn't be happening. But he's still a dog. And everyone that has a Frenchie knows how hard it is to keep them from jumping, etc. I can't blame myself but I do.

antbkny

Reaction score

I will just say right now that this is not fun and I hope no one else has to go through this. I feel like I should do public speaking events to Frenchie owners telling them of my experience lol. I can't help but think, well if I didn't let him do this or do that this wouldn't be happening. But he's still a dog. And everyone that has a Frenchie knows how hard it is to keep them from jumping, etc. I can't blame myself but I do.

i think im gonna have to chain a bowling ball to Henry to keep him from jumping! lol. Seriously though, dogs will be dogs. Unless you were tossing him out your window for kicks, dont blame yourself.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
i think im gonna have to chain a bowling ball to Henry to keep him from jumping! lol. Seriously though, dogs will be dogs. Unless you were tossing him out your window for kicks, dont blame yourself.

I know, I know. It just sucks to see him in pain. I just want to snap my fingers and make him feel better.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sorry to hear he's in pain. What kind of pain meds is he on? Any constipation issues?

I know, I know. It just sucks to see him in pain. I just want to snap my fingers and make him feel better.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear he's in pain. What kind of pain meds is he on? Any constipation issues?

He's on Codeine, Gabapentin, Rimadyl and Trazodone. No constipation so far.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score

Sorry you got a no on the chew for him.
I find that I have become so over protective because Jake had that ulcer on his eye and I suspect it came from the service pup I'm raising from playing. He was in a cone for 3 weeks. So I can totally relate to what your feeling. You didn't do anything wrong. Dogs will be dogs. Hope he starts to feel better soon. Sending healing vibes to Jax!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Codeine is VERY constipating, so you may want to give him some canned pumpkin or increase your canned pumpkin dose you give him. Also, make sure he drinks a lot to help prevent constipation. If he's on postop antibiotics , the pumpkin can help prevent diarrhea from that too since it works for both constipation and diarrhea.

He's on Codeine, Gabapentin, Rimadyl and Trazodone. No constipation so far.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Codeine is VERY constipating, so you may want to give him some canned pumpkin or increase your canned pumpkin dose you give him. Also, make sure he drinks a lot to help prevent constipation. If he's on postop antibiotics , the pumpkin can help prevent diarrhea from that too since it works for both constipation and diarrhea.

No antibiotics and he usually doesn't drink much water as it is as he's on raw but that is normal for raw fed dogs. But I've also been adding in a little bone broth for extra moisture. He hasn't shown any signs of constipation but I have pumpkin on hand.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
No antibiotics and he usually doesn't drink much water as it is as he's on raw but that is normal for raw fed dogs. But I've also been adding in a little bone broth for extra moisture. He hasn't shown any signs of constipation but I have pumpkin on hand.

How is Jax doing?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How is Jax doing?

Unfortunately he things he is just fine. He doesn't understand why he has to stay in his crate. When we take him out so he can do his business outside, he tries to run. He has been sleeping with us at night and while there are times he is uncomfortable and moves around a lot and sometimes there is a little twitching in the neck, it is nothing compared to how he was before surgery. So definitely an improvement so hopefully he just keeps getting better and better. But this will mean it will be harder and harder on him as he starts to feel better. I am beyond exhausted with having to wake up during the night to give him pills but after this week, the dosing schedule changes so that might help. But every time he moves during the night I wake up and watch him to make sure he is okay.

On Sunday, August 6, he gets his stitches out and a follow up but his activities will still be restricted until at least his 4-6 week follow up.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Unfortunately he things he is just fine. He doesn't understand why he has to stay in his crate. When we take him out so he can do his business outside, he tries to run. He has been sleeping with us at night and while there are times he is uncomfortable and moves around a lot and sometimes there is a little twitching in the neck, it is nothing compared to how he was before surgery. So definitely an improvement so hopefully he just keeps getting better and better. But this will mean it will be harder and harder on him as he starts to feel better. I am beyond exhausted with having to wake up during the night to give him pills but after this week, the dosing schedule changes so that might help. But every time he moves during the night I wake up and watch him to make sure he is okay.

On Sunday, August 6, he gets his stitches out and a follow up but his activities will still be restricted until at least his 4-6 week follow up.

Poor guy! It's hard for him to understand that what you're doing is for his own good. I'm glad he's getting better! I hear you on the med schedules, Uma had cataract surgery this summer and I had to get up every 3 hours to lubricate her eye. She can see again so it was totally worth it. Hang in there and good luck to him on his next appointment!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor guy! It's hard for him to understand that what you're doing is for his own good. I'm glad he's getting better! I hear you on the med schedules, Uma had cataract surgery this summer and I had to get up every 3 hours to lubricate her eye. She can see again so it was totally worth it. Hang in there and good luck to him on his next appointment!

I just about lost my sh*t last night. I opened the crate door to take him out and he took off and did 3 laps around the couch.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I just about lost my sh*t last night. I opened the crate door to take him out and he took off and did 3 laps around the couch.

Oh no Jax!!!!! New nickname should be BOLT! They just don't understand that they need to take it easy:/