Herniated disc

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I just about lost my sh*t last night. I opened the crate door to take him out and he took off and did 3 laps around the couch.

Yikes!!! That's a good sign he's feeling more like himself. I would have freaked too. Stay calm Jax!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes!!! That's a good sign he's feeling more like himself. I would have freaked too. Stay calm Jax!

He's definitely feeling better but that's the problem! Yes, it's great he feels better but recovery is supposed to be 4 - 6 weeks and keeping him calm and resting is becoming a challenge.

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Oh man. He has the zoomies! He's like "Mom! I want to RUN!" It's going to be worth it in the end. HANG IN THERE!!

Mavis

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I just caught up on this entire thread. I am so glad he is doing well, however, I'd be a wreck, too, having to have him convalesce for so long and trying to keep him quiet. They are just a terrible worry. Time passes and hopefully soon this will all be behind you. I'd be a wreck having him sleep with me, too. I'd freak over every twist and turn or noise he made. Good luck; it sounds like he is healing quickly.

I'd like to have Bambi's nares done because I think it would help her, but I just can't do it. I can't stand the thought of her being in pain or uncomfortable and not understand what happened.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I just about lost my sh*t last night. I opened the crate door to take him out and he took off and did 3 laps around the couch.

OH, NO, the ZOOMIES while in rehab!!! I am so glad Jax is feeling better!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
This moment seriously touched my heart. Louie is missing his brother.

c2cb65ec1439dc7431629a76d3273d52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blushy

Reaction score

Aww such sweet boys. ❤️❤️

Mavis

Reaction score

Oh, honeys!!!!! :cry:

I was thinking about it (dangerous) - how about if you put your jammie top in his crate after you wear it a few days? I would think your smell would be a comfort to him while he has to be in his crate.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, honeys!!!!! :cry:

I was thinking about it (dangerous) - how about if you put your jammie top in his crate after you wear it a few days? I would think your smell would be a comfort to him while he has to be in his crate.

My heart seriously melted when I turned around and saw Louie laying next to the crate. He loves to lay next to Jax when he sleeps so I know he's missing his brother.

There is a pink blanket in the crate that is actually mine that Jax likes to lay on so he has that for now. He slept pretty much all day yesterday with little whining but I think that was because it was so hot. We have a heat wave going on that started yesterday...ugh. Gotta try to keep these boys cool!

blushy

Reaction score
My heart seriously melted when I turned around and saw Louie laying next to the crate. He loves to lay next to Jax when he sleeps so I know he's missing his brother.

There is a pink blanket in the crate that is actually mine that Jax likes to lay on so he has that for now. He slept pretty much all day yesterday with little whining but I think that was because it was so hot. We have a heat wave going on that started yesterday...ugh. Gotta try to keep these boys cool!

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

I took Titan out potty and almost fainted from the heat.

There's ... NO ... oxygen? I couldn't believe the struggle...

I know your poor boy can't be out, but do you have a table fan? Titan LOVES his huge mega power fan blasting him when he's in his crate! You could set it on the floor next to his crate. [emoji4]

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
TELL ME ABOUT IT!

I took Titan out potty and almost fainted from the heat.

There's ... NO ... oxygen? I couldn't believe the struggle...

I know your poor boy can't be out, but do you have a table fan? Titan LOVES his huge mega power fan blasting him when he's in his crate! You could set it on the floor next to his crate. [emoji4]

We have a heat pump that blows cool air but it wasn't working last night...ugh! We do have some fans though so they will definitely be on.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I just caught up on this entire thread. I am so glad he is doing well, however, I'd be a wreck, too, having to have him convalesce for so long and trying to keep him quiet. They are just a terrible worry. Time passes and hopefully soon this will all be behind you. I'd be a wreck having him sleep with me, too. I'd freak over every twist and turn or noise he made. Good luck; it sounds like he is healing quickly.

I'd like to have Bambi's nares done because I think it would help her, but I just can't do it. I can't stand the thought of her being in pain or uncomfortable and not understand what happened.

Jake just had his nares done because he had a cracked molar that was decaying and needed to be removed so I decided to have it done since he was going to be under anyways. The recovery was not bad at all. He was only on pain meds for one day and that was mainly for the tooth extraction. It was a very easy recovery.

Mavis

Reaction score
Jake just had his nares done because he had a cracked molar that was decaying and needed to be removed so I decided to have it done since he was going to be under anyways. The recovery was not bad at all. He was only on pain meds for one day and that was mainly for the tooth extraction. It was a very easy recovery.

You were smart to take care of both together as long as he was going to be out anyway. Did he try to go at his nose? I am worried about that, too.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How is Jax doing???

He's got 2 more weeks of crate rest and it's been hell!! He feels so much better and he doesn't want to be in the crate anymore. But he's doing really good. He does have IVDD but it's a low grade. We'll just have to minimize his stair use and jumping on and off furniture.

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
What's IVDD?

So, in two weeks, he can resume "normal" activity?

I try very hard to keep Carrot from jumping off things. But, they move so fast!!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What's IVDD?

So, in two weeks, he can resume "normal" activity?

I try very hard to keep Carrot from jumping off things. But, they move so fast!!!

Intervertebral disc disease. It can be common with this breed. All his jumping and stair use caused enough wear and tear to dry up his discs which means he has no "shock absorbers" to protect his spine/discs so one of his discs herniated. There will always be a 15-25% chance of a recurrence. Some cases are more severe and can cause paralysis in the back legs.

Recovery from surgery is 6 weeks so he has 2 more to go. After that he can go back to "normal" with some modifications. I bought stairs so that he won't have to jump on and off the sofa. And I'll have to get a ramp for my outside deck stairs. But he'll be able to run and play again.