Possible Allergies? Hives / Hot Spots

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Jax gets 100% raw but my bulldog Louie gets Zignature in the morning, which is a limited ingredient, single protein kibble, and then he gets raw for his evening meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Raw do you feed Jax?

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
My dogs absolutely love Answers products, but neither of them are really a fan of the turkey. Go figure.

I use the cartons because it really cuts down on expenses, and it's easier to adjust portions. The cartons (especially the pork) do leak when you defrost them, like Cbrugs said, but I just set the carton in a glass baking dish (which I later dump the product into) while defrosting. If you do think that allergies are an issue, you might want to consider the Straight Formula, basically just has the protein in it. Just a thought. I have used both.

Are the cartons more cost effective than the patties? What is the difference (Price and Food Itself)? Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What Raw do you feed Jax?

I rotate between Answers, Vital Essentials, NW Naturals, Tuckers and I am able to get ground up rabbit locally. When feeding raw, you ultimately want to rotate between at least 3 different proteins as different proteins have different nutritional values. When I first started, Jax would get say rabbit for two weeks and then bison for two weeks, salmon then duck, etc. I normally make up 2 weeks worth of meals at a time and will use 2 or 3 different proteins during those 2 weeks depending on what I have.

Some other brands that have frozen raw are Stella & Chewy's, Nature's Variety, Steve's and I am sure there are others as well.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I rotate between Answers, Vital Essentials, NW Naturals, Tuckers and I am able to get ground up rabbit locally. When feeding raw, you ultimately want to rotate between at least 3 different proteins as different proteins have different nutritional values. When I first started, Jax would get say rabbit for two weeks and then bison for two weeks, salmon then duck, etc. I normally make up 2 weeks worth of meals at a time and will use 2 or 3 different proteins during those 2 weeks depending on what I have.

Some other brands that have frozen raw are Stella & Chewy's, Nature's Variety, Steve's and I am sure there are others as well.

Do Vital Essentials, NW Naturals and Tuckers only offer Freeze Dried? Is that different than the frozen patties from Answers?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do Vital Essentials, NW Naturals and Tuckers only offer Freeze Dried? Is that different than the frozen patties from Answers?

They offer freeze dried but I do frozen. Freeze dried raw is generally more expensive than frozen raw. These are all just different brands that have raw food.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
They offer freeze dried but I do frozen. Freeze dried raw is generally more expensive than frozen raw. These are all just different brands that have raw food.

Thank you for the reply - when researching online I only noticed "Free Dried" raw as an option. Are they all generally the same price?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply - when researching online I only noticed "Free Dried" raw as an option. Are they all generally the same price?

They might be generally be the same +\- a few dollars. Some proteins might be cheaper than others.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Are the cartons more cost effective than the patties? What is the difference (Price and Food Itself)? Thank you!

Yes, the cartons are less expensive than the patties. If you have the freezer space, your store can also order the chubs for you at a bulk discount. I think it's 30 lbs total in 2 lb chubs.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Yes, the cartons are less expensive than the patties. If you have the freezer space, your store can also order the chubs for you at a bulk discount. I think it's 30 lbs total in 2 lb chubs.

More info on the "Chubs" Please? Is this also from Answers?

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
More info on the "Chubs" Please? Is this also from Answers?

Yes, the chubs I was talking about are from Answers. Here is a quote from their FB page: "Answers Detailed Formula comes in 30lb bulk chubs for dogs. Organic Turkey, Beef, Chicken or Pork, are wrapped in cellulose packaging which is 100% biodegradable (no plastic!). Snap, peel and thaw. Portion for convenience, serve as needed."

You would have to call your local store to get pricing. I haven't bought them because of lack of freezer space, but now that I have two dogs, I'm considering looking into it again. I believe each chub is 2 lbs, but you have to buy 30 lbs at a time; so, fifteen 2 lb chubs.

answers chubs.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the chubs I was talking about are from Answers. Here is a quote from their FB page: "Answers Detailed Formula comes in 30lb bulk chubs for dogs. Organic Turkey, Beef, Chicken or Pork, are wrapped in cellulose packaging which is 100% biodegradable (no plastic!). Snap, peel and thaw. Portion for convenience, serve as needed."

You would have to call your local store to get pricing. I haven't bought them because of lack of freezer space, but now that I have two dogs, I'm considering looking into it again. I believe each chub is 2 lbs, but you have to buy 30 lbs at a time; so, fifteen 2 lb chubs.

View attachment 12332

After I started feeding raw I bought a chest freezer we keep in the garage. Now we have two dogs and I joined a raw food co-op where you can buy food by bulk/cases, I am seriously considering a stand up freezer now!

GraciesMom

Reaction score
I'm no expert by any means, but I'm wondering if the spots could also be localized demodectic mange. That also manifests as small hairless spots and would require a scraping to confirm. Gracie had a few spots and the vet took a scraping and confirmed the diagnosis. It cleared up with medication and an ointment. As for food I use Answers Detailed Beef Formula. I buy the 4 lb cartons and let them thaw very slightly -- just until the sides of the carton give a little when pressed. At that point I can get a sharp knife through it. I cut the 4 lb block into 8 smaller ones, put each in a separate container and freeze them. Since the block is still mostly frozen it is not as messy. Then I just pull them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge to thaw as I need them.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
After I started feeding raw I bought a chest freezer we keep in the garage. Now we have two dogs and I joined a raw food co-op where you can buy food by bulk/cases, I am seriously considering a stand up freezer now!

Yeah, I know the people in my raw feeding group really like standing freezers. So much easier to see what's in there.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the people in my raw feeding group really like standing freezers. So much easier to see what's in there.

Yes! I’m always having to pull stuff out of the chest freezer to get to things on the bottom.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to update this thread. It was defiantly food allergies. He has been on Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein and has cleared up 100%

So now my question is, where to go next? Start with on protein (possibly Raw) and mix that in with Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein and keep an eye on him, or

Switch to a Limited Ingredient Kibble, or

Suggestions? Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to update this thread. It was defiantly food allergies. He has been on Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein and has cleared up 100%

So now my question is, where to go next? Start with on protein (possibly Raw) and mix that in with Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein and keep an eye on him, or

Switch to a Limited Ingredient Kibble, or

Suggestions? Thank you!

I personally would not feed RC long term, it is not a high quality food. If you want to keep to kibble, I would do a limited ingredient, single protein. However, even those have veggies, fruits, starches that can cause issues so it can be more difficult to pinpoint the issue. Raw or freeze dried might be a good way to go.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I personally would not feed RC long term, it is not a high quality food. If you want to keep to kibble, I would do a limited ingredient, single protein. However, even those have veggies, fruits, starches that can cause issues so it can be more difficult to pinpoint the issue. Raw or freeze dried might be a good way to go.

Thank you. Are you suggesting feeding raw Single Ingredient (Meat) such as:
https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/

Or something more along the lines of:
https://www.answerspetfood.com/straight-formula.html

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Are you suggesting feeding raw Single Ingredient (Meat) such as:
https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/

Or something more along the lines of:
https://www.answerspetfood.com/straight-formula.html

Either would work. As you go through different proteins to see what is tolerated, you can then slowly add in veggies or fruits, one at a time, to see if there are any reactions. I use the straight formula from Answers along with their goat milk to both my guys.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Either would work. As you go through different proteins to see what is tolerated, you can then slowly add in veggies or fruits, one at a time, to see if there are any reactions. I use the straight formula from Answers along with their goat milk to both my guys.

Thank you for the reply. I have some further questions.

I found Answers Straight Turkey locally in a 4lb milk jug. It says to thaw and serve within 7 days. Can you thaw it and say keep 1/2 in the fridge and re-freeze the rest? Maybe cut the container with a sharp serrated knife? Ideas?

Also it mentions “Intended for Intermittent or supplemental feeding” what exactly does that mean? Do you just feed your boys Answers Straight with Goat Milk and that’s mainly it? Does the Goat Milk get mixed in with the meat?

I’m thinking I may get the smaller containers after this one from https://www.mypetcarnivore.com as they seem much more cost effective. Would you recommend their Coarse or Fine Ground?

How long should It be to notice an allergic reaction and what should I look out for? Previously I noticed small bumps like hives and then finally the bald spots. He never really scratched a lot and he has always been one to lick everything (paws, feet, walls, you name it)

How long should he be on a particular protein before switching it up and what proteins would you recommend (I got him turkey today and from my understanding avoid chicken)

Thank you.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I have some further questions.

I found Answers Straight Turkey locally in a 4lb milk jug. It says to thaw and serve within 7 days. Can you thaw it and say keep 1/2 in the fridge and re-freeze the rest? Maybe cut the container with a sharp serrated knife? Ideas?

Also it mentions “Intended for Intermittent or supplemental feeding” what exactly does that mean? Do you just feed your boys Answers Straight with Goat Milk and that’s mainly it? Does the Goat Milk get mixed in with the meat?

I’m thinking I may get the smaller containers after this one from https://www.mypetcarnivore.com as they seem much more cost effective. Would you recommend their Coarse or Fine Ground?

How long should It be to notice an allergic reaction and what should I look out for? Previously I noticed small bumps like hives and then finally the bald spots. He never really scratched a lot and he has always been one to lick everything (paws, feet, walls, you name it)

How long should he be on a particular protein before switching it up and what proteins would you recommend (I got him turkey today and from my understanding avoid chicken)

Thank you.

I had contacted Answers directly about their straight formula. They say it’s not complete because there are no veggies/fruits and to add the goat milk to make it complete.

Yes, you can refreeze it. I normally thaw enough for 2 weeks worth, portion out into containers, freeze and then pull out two containers every day to thaw.

I rotate between Answers, Primal, Small Batch, Tuckers, Vital Essentials and maybe more that I can’t think of.

A reaction could take a few weeks or just a few days. Jax broke out in bumps within a couple days of eating turkey. I would probably go a month before trying a different protein.

Jax can handle beef in small quantities so I’ll give him maybe 3 or 4 meals in a 2 week period. He also gets pork, salmon, rabbit, bison and sometimes elk. He does not do well with lamb or duck but you can definitely try them out.