Possible Allergies? Hives / Hot Spots

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Update: I had Benny on the Boiled Beef and Rice for 3 full days. Yesterday Evening I switched him back to the raw Turkey and he did fine over night and raw Turkey this morning. If he has issues again with throwing up I will thaw the Pork and Switch him over to that. I want to test the Turkey one more time. Also, when he was on the Beef and Rice I would put a splash of Goats Milk in his evening meal and he was fine - no throw up issues.

I do have a few local places that sell Tuckers according to the "Where to buy" on their website. Is Tuckers a Raw Diet as well?

Also - All you Raw Feeders, do you feed Raw Every Day - or occasionally introduce the Bland Diet?

Yes, Tucker's is another frozen raw brand and a good one.

Jax has a sensitive belly. Yesterday I gave him a full 1/4 cup of the goat's milk and he threw up a few minutes later. Will have to go back to giving him a little less.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Raw all the time... I know with Cheli the raw goats milk has to be a little bit, he gets maybe two tablespoons... any more and he will regurgitate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Update on Benny Boy. Been on the Raw Turkey for 3 days and no throw up since before the Bland Diet. I have just been putting a splash of Goats Milk on his food in the evening. I am just concerned that the Raw Meat with only a little Goats Milk will not be ideally nutritious.

He has been on the turkey (besides the 4 days of bland diet) for 24 days so I think its safe to say he is not allergic. I will give him some pork over the weekend and see how he does on that.

Question: Should I mix the Pork and Turkey or just straight Pork? The reason I ask is I have quite a bit of turkey left in the freezer (Came in the Answers carton which I thawed, put into portions and re-froze) and I am not sure how long it will be good for after thawing in the fridge for two days and re-freezing in portions.

Thank you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on Benny Boy. Been on the Raw Turkey for 3 days and no throw up since before the Bland Diet. I have just been putting a splash of Goats Milk on his food in the evening. I am just concerned that the Raw Meat with only a little Goats Milk will not be ideally nutritious.

He has been on the turkey (besides the 4 days of bland diet) for 24 days so I think its safe to say he is not allergic. I will give him some pork over the weekend and see how he does on that.

Question: Should I mix the Pork and Turkey or just straight Pork? The reason I ask is I have quite a bit of turkey left in the freezer (Came in the Answers carton which I thawed, put into portions and re-froze) and I am not sure how long it will be good for after thawing in the fridge for two days and re-freezing in portions.

Thank you!

Great to hear he is doing so well.... it should not be a problem to mix the proteins but if you see any issues you’ll know it is the pork

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

Thank you!

You can try the detailed formula and then not have to worry about the goats milk. You can also try other brands like Tucker’s, Primal, Stella & Chewy, Steve’s. I am sure there are others as well.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Back looking for suggestion. So far so good on the Turkey/Pork Mix as far as throwing up goes. Initially I was feeding him a 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening and he was soft serving every bowel movement. I reduced that down to filling the 1/2 cup to about 3/4 of the way in the morning and again in the evening about 3 weeks ago. Still soft serve basically every bowel movement. He also has a bowel movement once a day max, sometimes goes a day without one. And the bowel movements are way less in volume than they previously were on kibble. Suggestions?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Back looking for suggestion. So far so good on the Turkey/Pork Mix as far as throwing up goes. Initially I was feeding him a 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening and he was soft serving every bowel movement. I reduced that down to filling the 1/2 cup to about 3/4 of the way in the morning and again in the evening about 3 weeks ago. Still soft serve basically every bowel movement. He also has a bowel movement once a day max, sometimes goes a day without one. And the bowel movements are way less in volume than they previously were on kibble. Suggestions?

When eating raw, they will poop less than with kibble so that is normal. Since it is still soft serve, I would probably stop the turkey and go 100% pork to see if that changes anything.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
When eating raw, they will poop less than with kibble so that is normal. Since it is still soft serve, I would probably stop the turkey and go 100% pork to see if that changes anything.

Agreed!!

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score

Will do and report back!

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Updates. Benny has been on strictly Pork since 12/31/2018 and his stool has not really improved.

He has been on raw all together (Previously Turkey) since 11/28/2018 - and has had soft serve pretty much the entire time.

I have noticed some days his anus is a bit red, others not? I looked for anything abnormal - everything looks good aside from it being a bit red. This morning it was normal looking.

I am not showing signs of any allergic reactions as far as skin yet. He is constantly licking his paws, however he has done this for years. Literally he licks everything. Front paws, rear paws, me, the walls, doors. I'm thinking this may be due to anxiety or being bored? Possibly still allergies? Its hard to tell because from since I can remember, he has been a licker.

I am starting to think this raw diet may not be for us. Can you possibly recommend some quality limited ingredient foods I can try? Perhaps cooking his dinner at home? Recipes? I'm all for suggestions, just getting a bit frustrated at this point.

For reference, this is the amount I feed him, twice daily - with just a small splash of goats milk.

IMG_5187.jpg
IMG_5188.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Updates. Benny has been on strictly Pork since 12/31/2018 and his stool has not really improved.

He has been on raw all together (Previously Turkey) since 11/28/2018 - and has had soft serve pretty much the entire time.

I have noticed some days his anus is a bit red, others not? I looked for anything abnormal - everything looks good aside from it being a bit red. This morning it was normal looking.

I am not showing signs of any allergic reactions as far as skin yet. He is constantly licking his paws, however he has done this for years. Literally he licks everything. Front paws, rear paws, me, the walls, doors. I'm thinking this may be due to anxiety or being bored? Possibly still allergies? Its hard to tell because from since I can remember, he has been a licker.

I am starting to think this raw diet may not be for us. Can you possibly recommend some quality limited ingredient foods I can try? Perhaps cooking his dinner at home? Recipes? I'm all for suggestions, just getting a bit frustrated at this point.

For reference, this is the amount I feed him, twice daily - with just a small splash of goats milk.

View attachment 12709
View attachment 12710

Since it's only been a few days, you can wait a bit more to see if anything changes. You can even try a different brand as sometimes each brand is processed differently and can give different results. It is also possible he just needs more fiber in his diet.

What were you feeding before raw and how was his stool?

If you just want to go to kibble then Acana, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics are some limited ingredient brands you can try. I have no knowledge with home cooking other than you would have to make sure you are giving any proper supplements in order for him to get all of the nutrients he needs. There are brands like The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's that are a dehydrated raw you just add water to.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

View attachment 12709
View attachment 12710

Could his allergies be environmental? Did we discuss that, if yes, have you tried any Benedryl or Zyrtec?

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Since it's only been a few days, you can wait a bit more to see if anything changes. You can even try a different brand as sometimes each brand is processed differently and can give different results. It is also possible he just needs more fiber in his diet.

What were you feeding before raw and how was his stool?

If you just want to go to kibble then Acana, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics are some limited ingredient brands you can try. I have no knowledge with home cooking other than you would have to make sure you are giving any proper supplements in order for him to get all of the nutrients he needs. There are brands like The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's that are a dehydrated raw you just add water to.

Thank you for the reply. He has been on Fromm Brand and pretty much all of their flavors since 8 weeks old, up until a few months ago (he is now 3.5yrs old). His stool was solid and had no issues at all (until the allergies hit)

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Could his allergies be environmental? Did we discuss that, if yes, have you tried any Benedryl or Zyrtec?

Thank you for the reply. I do not believe they are environmental as everything cleared up when he was on Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. I have tried Benedrly on the early stages of this post with no improvement.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I have a feeling that he is actually Allergic to the Pork. He was fine up until a few days ago. He was on 50/50 Turnkey and Pork from 12/22/2018 until 12/30/2018 and then 100% Pork from 12/31/2018 up until today. I have noticed the last few days he just seems very agitated. He is now constantly licking his paws and almost is obsessive about it. He seems very restless and has been scooting (even though I had his anal glands expressed 12/24/2018) He is sitting funny like something is not comfortable on his back side and even noticed his testicles are red probbaly from all the scooting. His Face seems a bit more dry and red than normal. I have put Skin Soother on the irritated parts as of yesterday. I am not seeing any signs of hives as of yet. I may switch him back to the Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein for a bit. Suggestions?

View attachment 12711

View attachment 12712

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Now he’s zooming around the house tossing toys all over like nothing is annoying him. Hard guy to read haha.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Update: I am going to give Kibble a try for a bit and see how he does. Would it be ok to put the Raw Goats Milk on his Kibble?

I have these in my cart - suggestions?

- Zignature Venison Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag
- Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag
- Zignature Kangaroo Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: I am going to give Kibble a try for a bit and see how he does. Would it be ok to put the Raw Goats Milk on his Kibble?

I have these in my cart - suggestions?

- Zignature Venison Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag
- Zignature Lamb Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag
- Zignature Kangaroo Limited Ingredient Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 4-lb bag

Yes to the goat's milk.

I would try venison or kangaroo ... less likely to be allergic

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Yes to the goat's milk.

I would try venison or kangaroo ... less likely to be allergic
Thank you! I was going to get 3 proteins. I will do the Venison and Kangaroo. Suggestions on a 3rd? Other options are: Turkey, Trout & Salmon Meal, Duck, Salmon, Catfish or Whitefish

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I was going to get 3 proteins. I will do the Venison and Kangaroo. Suggestions on a 3rd? Other options are: Turkey, Trout & Salmon Meal, Duck, Salmon, Catfish or Whitefish

My choice would be duck

🆕 Latest posts