Possible Allergies? Hives / Hot Spots

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I had contacted Answers directly about their straight formula. They say it’s not complete because there are no veggies/fruits and to add the goat milk to make it complete.

Yes, you can refreeze it. I normally thaw enough for 2 weeks worth, portion out into containers, freeze and then pull out two containers every day to thaw.

I rotate between Answers, Primal, Small Batch, Tuckers, Vital Essentials and maybe more that I can’t think of.

A reaction could take a few weeks or just a few days. Jax broke out in bumps within a couple days of eating turkey. I would probably go a month before trying a different protein.

Jax can handle beef in small quantities so I’ll give him maybe 3 or 4 meals in a 2 week period. He also gets pork, salmon, rabbit, bison and sometimes elk. He does not do well with lamb or duck but you can definitely try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for all your help :D

I still do not understand how to feed the Goats Milk. Do you just put it in a bowl like water, mix in with food?

Good to know I can portion the Answers Container out by thawing it and re-freezing.

So what you do is feed Jax say Pork for a month, and then rabbit for a month, bison for a month and so on? BTW Jax looks like my pupper :D

IMG_4706.JPG

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your help :D

I still do not understand how to feed the Goats Milk. Do you just put it in a bowl like water, mix in with food?

Good to know I can portion the Answers Container out by thawing it and re-freezing.

So what you do is feed Jax say Pork for a month, and then rabbit for a month, bison for a month and so on? BTW Jax looks like my pupper :D

View attachment 12601

I either just add it to their food or in their bowl like water.

I usually give 2 or 3 proteins at a time because I have already gone through and tested them out to see which ones will work. Since you are just starting out, I suggest feeding one protein at a time for a month and then switch to a different protein for a month and so on until you know what can be tolerated. Once you know what works, it is ideal to rotate with at least 3 proteins. You don't have to give them all at one time but every couple of weeks or whatever as it will all balance out. You will want to make sure there is red meat in the diet.

I love the black masked fawns!!!

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score

I usually give 2 or 3 proteins at a time because I have already gone through and tested them out to see which ones will work. Since you are just starting out, I suggest feeding one protein at a time for a month and then switch to a different protein for a month and so on until you know what can be tolerated. Once you know what works, it is ideal to rotate with at least 3 proteins. You don't have to give them all at one time but every couple of weeks or whatever as it will all balance out. You will want to make sure there is red meat in the diet.

Thank you for all your help, I really Appreciate it. I will start with the Answers Straight Turkey and pick up some Raw Goats Milk to Mix in. About how much Goats Milk do you feed a day?

I love the black masked fawns as well! :D

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help, I really Appreciate it. I will start with the Answers Straight Turkey and pick up some Raw Goats Milk to Mix in. About how much Goats Milk do you feed a day?

I love the black masked fawns as well! :D

It goes by weight. For Jax, he gets about 1/4 cup. But since you are just starting, I would probably just do half of that for a week or so and build up to the full amount.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
It goes by weight. For Jax, he gets about 1/4 cup. But since you are just starting, I would probably just do half of that for a week or so and build up to the full amount.

Thank you! Have a wonderful day :D

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Update. He absolutely loves the Answers Straight Formula Turkey.

This is the only Raw Goats Milk current at my local Pet Shop - How is this stuff?

IMG_4958.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Update. He absolutely loves the Answers Straight Formula Turkey.

This is the only Raw Goats Milk current at my local Pet Shop - How is this stuff?

View attachment 12603

Answers has a raw goat's milk as well. If your store carries Answers, they might be able to order it for you, however, Primal is a great brand.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Does this seem correct - seems like not very much food?

I was using the Answers Feeding Calculator to determine how much I should be feeding him. He is on the Answers Straight Turkey. He is 28lbs, Normal Activity. Basically it is saying:

I should be feeding him just under 1 cup (7 ounces) of Answers Straight Formula Turkey day, with 4oz of Raw Goats Milk.

Or basically 3.5 Ounces of Straight Formula Turkey and 2oz of Goat Milk, twice a day.

Does this sound right?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does this seem correct - seems like not very much food?

I was using the Answers Feeding Calculator to determine how much I should be feeding him. He is on the Answers Straight Turkey. He is 28lbs, Normal Activity. Basically it is saying:

I should be feeding him just under 1 cup (7 ounces) of Answers Straight Formula Turkey day, with 4oz of Raw Goats Milk.

Or basically 3.5 Ounces of Straight Formula Turkey and 2oz of Goat Milk, twice a day.

Does this sound right?

I can't remember what feeding calculator I originally used as this was a few years ago but I started out on 2% of Jax's body weight and went from there. It is a little bit of an experiment to find the perfect amount to feed as each dog is different. Jax is 28 pounds and he gets about 5.5 ounces TWICE a day plus 1/4 cup goat's milk. I remember originally starting at 5 ounces twice a day but went up. Some dogs will lose a little weight on raw because it is fresh food versus processed.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I can't remember what feeding calculator I originally used as this was a few years ago but I started out on 2% of Jax's body weight and went from there. It is a little bit of an experiment to find the perfect amount to feed as each dog is different. Jax is 28 pounds and he gets about 5.5 ounces TWICE a day plus 1/4 cup goat's milk. I remember originally starting at 5 ounces twice a day but went up. Some dogs will lose a little weight on raw because it is fresh food versus processed.

Do you feed 1/4 goats milk twice a day, or for the total day? I may go with 5oz twice a day to start, as our boys are the same weight and even both are black mask fawns :D

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you feed 1/4 goats milk twice a day, or for the total day? I may go with 5oz twice a day to start, as our boys are the same weight and even both are black mask fawns :D

I just do the goat milk once a day. I also sometimes use the Answers fermented fish stock.

A good way to judge the amount of food is by their poop. If it is soft serve, it could be too much food. Raw fed dogs will normally poop less then kibble fed and you will notice drinking less water as raw is full of moisture.

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
I just do the goat milk once a day. I also sometimes use the Answers fermented fish stock.

A good way to judge the amount of food is by their poop. If it is soft serve, it could be too much food. Raw fed dogs will normally poop less then kibble fed and you will notice drinking less water as raw is full of moisture.

This made me laugh :)
Once again, I thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions.

My game plan is to feed him a rounded 1/2 cup scoop of his raw meet twice a day with the 1/4 cup goats milk in the evening and see how his weight does.

He used to be super picky about his kibble and half the time he would only eat his one meal for the day. Now when I bust out his Answers, he cry's, barks, kicks his feet. Its hilarious.

So nutritionally wise, the Answers Straight and Goats Milk is all he needs?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Answers is in same carton as milk and half/half ... so when you are half asleep at 5 am and go for half/half... it’s best to have a different container for the dogs goats milk —— just sayin

BennyTheBulldog

Reaction score
Answers is in same carton as milk and half/half ... so when you are half asleep at 5 am and go for half/half... it’s best to have a different container for the dogs goats milk —— just sayin

Have you actually put the goat milk in your coffee and taken a sip? :morning::yuk:

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

Once you figure out which proteins are good for your dog, you may want to give one protein in the morning and one at dinner, to balance out pooping, according to my raw food supplier. eg. smaller game like turkey and duck tends to have more bones and thus causes more constipation whereas larger game like pork and beef has less bones so causes more diarrhea. My dog doesn't seem to get any diarrhea on the raw food, so I don't have to bother with this method, but you could try it if your dog does.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I have some further questions.

I found Answers Straight Turkey locally in a 4lb milk jug. It says to thaw and serve within 7 days. Can you thaw it and say keep 1/2 in the fridge and re-freeze the rest? Maybe cut the container with a sharp serrated knife? Ideas?

Also it mentions “Intended for Intermittent or supplemental feeding” what exactly does that mean? Do you just feed your boys Answers Straight with Goat Milk and that’s mainly it? Does the Goat Milk get mixed in with the meat?

I’m thinking I may get the smaller containers after this one from https://www.mypetcarnivore.com as they seem much more cost effective. Would you recommend their Coarse or Fine Ground?

How long should It be to notice an allergic reaction and what should I look out for? Previously I noticed small bumps like hives and then finally the bald spots. He never really scratched a lot and he has always been one to lick everything (paws, feet, walls, you name it)

How long should he be on a particular protein before switching it up and what proteins would you recommend (I got him turkey today and from my understanding avoid chicken)

Thank you.

Best way to ensure minimal bacterial growth is to only thaw at refrigerator temperature. I like to semi thaw the food, not completely thaw, then cut it up, and then rethaw it. A large 4 pound ice cream size container will take longer than a smaller container, so you will have to experiment. eg. 8 hrs for a large container, 2 hr for a 1 pound one.

I was looking at Answers goat milk formula, it contains Raw goat’s milk, (dried/liquid) Lactococcus lactis fermentation product, (dried/liquid) leuconostoc mesenteroides fermentation product, raw honey, organic cinnamon. I think raw goat's milk is great, but I don't understand why Answer's product contains honey, since honey can kill a lot of probiotic bacteria. I make my own water kefir, and one of the first rules of making the kefir is to use sugar, not honey.